BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions What is “5AS Active Driving Assistant" on 2017 530i?

03-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
jwang138
Registered
Rep
Drives: Lexus

What is “5AS Active Driving Assistant" on 2017 530i?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a CPO 2017 530i with Driving Assistance Package and Driving Assistance Plus. Oddly, the Driving Assistance Plus only includes 5DN Parking Assistant Plus and ZX3 Surround View w/ 3D View according to build sheet. I thought Driving Assistance Plus must include active radar cruise control, lane keep intervention etc.

However, I find this “5AS Active Driving Assistant" on the build sheet, not under the Driving Assistance Plus package. I'm wondering what features are included in this feature. I also find "5AL Active Protection" and have no idea what's this either. From dealer picture, the car HAS the safety feature activate button beside the emergency button. No lane keep assist button on the steering wheel.

See the attached PDF for a detailed build sheet that the dealer provided.

Thanks for reading my questions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf THG895199-msrp-01.pdf (33.7 KB, 1213 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwang138 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking at a CPO 2017 530i with Driving Assistance Package and Driving Assistance Plus. Oddly, the Driving Assistance Plus only includes 5DN Parking Assistant Plus and ZX3 Surround View w/ 3D View according to build sheet. I thought Driving Assistance Plus must include active radar cruise control, lane keep intervention etc.

However, I find this “5AS Active Driving Assistant" on the build sheet, not under the Driving Assistance Plus package. I'm wondering what features are included in this feature. I also find "5AL Active Protection" and have no idea what's this either. From dealer picture, the car HAS the safety feature activate button beside the emergency button. No lane keep assist button on the steering wheel.

See the attached PDF for a detailed build sheet that the dealer provided.

Thanks for reading my questions.
That's the feature that keeps you from changing lanes. The vehicle will force you back into the lane when you change lanes without a turn signal. Trust me when I say it takes some getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

While it is capable of trying to keep you in your lane, the steering intervention can be turned off, which I have done, so that you only get the alert of steering wheel vibration if you drift from your lane without the turn signal being activated. I found that the car trying to steer me left in a high-speed right hand corner to keep me from touching the white line was just too disconcerting.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
yup, it's literally "stay" in line
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
While it is capable of trying to keep you in your lane, the steering intervention can be turned off, which I have done, so that you only get the alert of steering wheel vibration if you drift from your lane without the turn signal being activated. I found that the car trying to steer me left in a high-speed right hand corner to keep me from touching the white line was just too disconcerting.
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I have turned mine off before, but I always end up leaving it enabled. After all, it is a safety feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

For me paying attention to the road and pull over when feeing tired and in need of a break works just as well.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
you can use that to argue against almost any new safety feature, but I personally think it's a good idea, and it's not that intrusive (unless you turn on fully, and I hate people who don't use turn signal, which seems to be a big chunk of the north east...), it just vibrate (and you can select the level of vibration as well)
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
you can use that to argue against almost any new safety feature, but I personally think it's a good idea, and it's not that intrusive (unless you turn on fully, and I hate people who don't use turn signal, which seems to be a big chunk of the north east...), it just vibrate (and you can select the level of vibration as well)
I leave it on like ALL the safety features. NEVER know when it will be important besides it has forced me to use my turn signals more. I used turn signals most of the time but if I was alone on road or very few cars sometimes I would be bad. This makes me not do that.
      03-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I leave it on like ALL the safety features. NEVER know when it will be important besides it has forced me to use my turn signals more. I used turn signals most of the time but if I was alone on road or very few cars sometimes I would be bad. This makes me not do that.
+1 I think that the tendency to teach a driver to use the turn signals (because otherwise the steering wheel fights you) is a great feature. It constantly annoys me when I am waiting to make a turn and there is plenty of room if the car on the crossing street is turning but the idiot doesn't use his turn signals so I wait and wait and then the idiot turns.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
For me paying attention to the road and pull over when feeing tired and in need of a break works just as well.
Let's go back to the 90s?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #11
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Not saying that, but try sprited driving with it all on, and cut a tight line into a corner and touch the white line. The car tries to steer away from the turn to get you off the line. That is dangerous!! I damn near lost it in that corner. That's when I turned off steering intervention, and it will remain off for me. Now, you may never engage in spirited driving, so it might not be an issue....or maybe I was just too imprecise by touching the white line at the apex of the corner. But, steering intervention is not what I want. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 06:13 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not saying that, but try sprited driving with it all on, and cut a tight line into a corner and touch the white line. The car tries to steer away from the turn to get you off the line. That is dangerous!! I damn near lost it in that corner. That's when I turned off steering intervention, and it will remain off for me. Now, you may never engage in spirited driving, so it might not be an issue....or maybe I was just too imprecise by touching the white line at the apex of the corner. But, steering intervention is not what I want. YMMV.
☝🏻 This. I completely agree, but I still refuse to turn it off in the city. Spirited driving? That's a completely different story!
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      03-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That I understand but you can turn it off in like 2 button press?
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #14
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
That I understand but you can turn it off in like 2 button press?
Just a few clicks... The key is remembering to turn it on and off.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
"Spirited Driving" 😂😂 In other words a little reckless. The idea of a safety feature supporting spirited driving is unreasonable. The idea of spirited driving in THESE cars isn't unreasonable otherwise why spend the money.
So turn it off for those times.
      03-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
"Spirited Driving" 😂😂 In other words a little reckless. The idea of a safety feature supporting spirited driving is unreasonable. The idea of spirited driving in THESE cars isn't unreasonable otherwise why spend the money.
So turn it off for those times.
I must admit it had been turned on by the sales staff, when they delivered it to me. Until then, I had no concept of steering intervention, and was very surprized when it did attempt to intervene. Didn't like it in the middle of that corner, still don't. I'm all for safety, do appreciate the vibration warnings, and reckless is not a word I would use to describe my driving. Just don't want anyone, or anything attempting to intervene in steering while I am driving. Again, YMMV.

PS - would love to hear the flame war steering intervention would probably ignite on the M4 forum!
Appreciate 0