BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Neither front nor rear emergency braking on...

12-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Neither front nor rear emergency braking on...

2019 and earlier G30s. A bit disappointing. My wife’s 26k-less expensive 2017 Audi has both as does my daughter’s 2019 Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, my car is a 2019 540ixMsport.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S6F View Post
2019 and earlier G30s. A bit disappointing. My wife’s 26k-less expensive 2017 Audi has both as does my daughter’s 2019 Subaru.
All G30's have front emergency braking and you can check this by pressing button next to hazard warning light. Rear one's are optional afaik.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not so sure about frontal collision braking. Took a large box to an empty parking lot. Drove toward it at varying speeds. Crushed the box every time!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

Frontal collision braking leaves much to be desired, IMHO. Had previous vehicles almost screech to a dead stop in the middle of an intersection while turning against traffic going the other way... that would have been a nice way to get rear ended. I turn mine all the way down, if not off.
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Not so sure about frontal collision braking. Took a large box to an empty parking lot. Drove toward it at varying speeds. Crushed the box every time!
My previous car was a 2016 3 series. There were optional packages: one for "Driver Assistance" and the second for "Driver Assistance Plus". If you didn't get those, that could explain the box crashes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
My previous car was a 2016 3 series. There were optional packages: one for "Driver Assistance" and the second for "Driver Assistance Plus". If you didn't get those, that could explain the box crashes.
This ^

My understanding of the safety systems in the G30 (and I won't claim to be authoritative here).

The base frontal collision avoidance system uses the windshield camera to determine when to brake. As a result, it needs a picture of what looks like the back end of a car to help to recognize the car to brake for (or a moving person thing to help to detect a pedestrian). It won't brake for any and all objects.

If you have the package with Automatic Cruise Control this this adds in additional radar sensors that are used in conjunction with the front windshield camera. Since this has a more detailed picture via the radar sensors it can stop for stationary objects that don't look like a car (such as a wall when parking or if you kicked off at a light too soon that you might rear end the guy in front, but you're too close to wake up the front camera system).

The system in my car works very well and isn't too aggressive so I'm no getting a ton (really I haven't had any) of false positives which would be more concerning.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #8
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In the OP it states that this seems to be an issue with pre-2020 cars. Looks like you’re driving a 2020. In any case my ‘19 540 has driver assistance plus and ACC. Still crushes boxes!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
In any case my ‘19 540 has driver assistance plus and ACC. Still crushes boxes!!
The collision warning and urban traffic warning both have two-stage warnings. There’s the initial warning where you get the visual flash of a red car, then there’s the acute warning which also gives an audible alert & flashing red car. It’s when you receive the acute warning that the brakes are pre-filled in preparation for braking execution.

Are you getting any of those warnings as you are crushing the boxes set-up in your test? If not, then something is wrong with either your test or your BMW or your settings. Again, if you’re not getting the acute warning prior to slamming into your test boxes...then the system is not pre-filling the brakes:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-13-2020 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I do know that when Consumer Reports tests this feature, it uses a target that looks like a car. To avoid too many false positives, perhaps BMW recognizes that a box is not an impediment.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #11
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies. To a previous post: yes, I get the warning signals before the boxes get crushed. Try it with my wife’s ‘17 Audi and the brakes slam on. Also, while a box doesn’t look like a car, it’s roughly the size of a small child playing on the driveway. In these cases the car should Stop, not just beep! Perhaps that’s why they added this feature in ‘20.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BTW, Qsilver7, where did you find that information? Was it for a 2019, or later?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 Series 530d MY2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
In any case my ‘19 540 has driver assistance plus and ACC. Still crushes boxes!!
The collision warning and urban traffic warning both have two-stage warnings. There’s the initial warning where you get the visual flash of a red car, then there’s the acute warning which also gives an audible alert & flashing red car. It’s when you receive the acute warning that the brakes are pre-filled in preparation for braking execution.

Are you getting any of those warnings as you are crushing the boxes set-up in your test? If not, then something is wrong with either your test or your BMW or your settings. Again, if you’re not getting the acute warning prior to slamming into your test boxes...then the system is not pre-filling the brakes:
Did not get it right yet sorry, what happens if I don't apply any break pedal at all on the second warning, will the car stops by itself or not?
I understand the pre-filling bit but not sure if it will break effectively if I don't take action
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #14
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Doesn’t matter if you touch the brake pedal or not. If you’re driving a ‘19 or older, your car will crush anything in front or rear. Let me point out one exception. When you’re on the highway with ACC active, then the car will brake to a complete stop if needed. I rarely use that feature, and certainly not in neighborhood driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Doesn’t matter if you touch the brake pedal or not. If you’re driving a ‘19 or older, your car will crush anything in front or rear. Let me point out one exception. When you’re on the highway with ACC active, then the car will brake to a complete stop if needed. I rarely use that feature, and certainly not in neighborhood driving.
Do you have documentation to share on this front? I thought MY2020 was the same for these systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #16
moscab
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 5 Series 530d MY2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Do you have documentation to share on this front? I thought MY2020 was the same for these systems.
From what I read I was left with the impression that the car would break from himself on pedestrian or car in front detection, at least from MY2020 onwards but in fact I never experienced anything since I own the car.
I have seen both warnings but no action to the breaks so far
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscab View Post
From what I read I was left with the impression that the car would break from himself on pedestrian or car in front detection, at least from MY2020 onwards but in fact I never experienced anything since I own the car.
I have seen both warnings but no action to the breaks so far
Car brakes automatically if collision is imminent. I have experienced it once in my MY2020 530e. The car in front of me stopped suddenly and before I tried putting my foot on brake pedal, car stopped with red icon in cockpit & a chime.
Appreciate 1
moscab0.00
      12-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
BTW, Qsilver7, where did you find that information? Was it for a 2019, or later?
That info was taken from the BMW TIS (technical information system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscab View Post
Did not get it right yet sorry, what happens if I don't apply any break pedal at all on the second warning, will the car stops by itself or not?
I understand the pre-filling bit but not sure if it will break effectively if I don't take action
Quote:
BMW's collision & pedestrian systems have been evolving since they debuted. The system originally put up the initial warning & acute warnings...with the acute warning pre-filling the brakes.

Then BMW started using radar along with the KAFAS cameras...and the BMWs that had the active cruise control with stop-n-go feature started receiving actual braking at certain speeds. Then the pedestrian system came along and those systems are supposed to also brake as well as protect the pedestrian where sometimes the hood moves to protect and then has to be repaired afterwards.

On my 2014 f15 X5...it has the pedestrian protection system and when I'm in urban traffic and I'm changing lanes or I'm in a tailgating situation in heavy traffic/changing lanes etc...and the red warning lights come on...I can feel as well as hear the brakes being applied to slow me down...especially if I'm signaling to change lanes in a tight space. The same situation in my 2013 f06...I get the lights & audible...but I've never felt (or hear) the brakes being applied like I do in the X5.

Below is more info from the TIS for the G30 that has ACC w/stop-n-go...which also includes braking:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-14-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbhp View Post
Car brakes automatically if collision is imminent. I have experienced it once in my MY2020 530e. The car in front of me stopped suddenly and before I tried putting my foot on brake pedal, car stopped with red icon in cockpit & a chime.
According to CR, the 2018 BMW 5 series had automatic emergency braking as an option. So if one has the Driving Assistance and Driving Assistance Plus packages, one should have automatic emergency braking.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #20
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

I witnessed the system fully engaging 2 times for me in 2 years of ownership.
Once it was a pedestrian who wasn't sitting in front of the car, but very close in a lateral position, I would of surely got past him but he car decided first to signal the danger then to slam the brakes, that was the very first time it happened and it scared the hell of out me, not knowing what has happened.

The other time with a car, stopped in front of me, I wasn't paying attention and same as the first time, signal and then brake.

Many other times I only got the signal, the red car on HUD and accoustic beep. If you don't react fast enough brakes will be engaged in a brutal manner.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I noticed that you’re in Europe. Perhaps that might explain a difference in operation. My ‘19 has the driver assistance plus package but, as I said above, it repeatedly crushes cardboard boxes both front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I noticed that you’re in Europe. Perhaps that might explain a difference in operation. My ‘19 has the driver assistance plus package but, as I said above, it repeatedly crushes cardboard boxes both front and rear.
According to your signature, you have a 2016 model. That model might not have the feature.
Appreciate 0