BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions HUD and New Windshield

09-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Had my windshield replaced, factory OEM at satellite. They did a great job, but either I didn't notice before, something is off or it is what it is. Sometimes I feel like the HUD is actually crooked, but when I say crooked I mean like to far forward on the right side towards me than the left. Like the left is further back. If I shift my self to the left I feel like it's straighter. It could be me just being picky and I don't think most people would notice it. Just curious what other people have experienced and if the actual HUD has a sensor that can be adjusted other than what's being projected from the dash to the glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think the hud can only be titled (via adjustment in idrive) and obviously up and down rather than left right
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I think the hud can only be titled (via adjustment in idrive) and obviously up and down rather than left right
It can be up and down and left to right. This is more one side more forward the the other. Maybe I just favor my right ass cheek?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Ah ok , I hadn't noticed the adjustment for left /right.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Also, if you have the cameras, you need to have the new windshield calibrated. Did they do that? Did they use OEM glass?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Also, if you have the cameras, you need to have the new windshield calibrated. Did they do that? Did they use OEM glass?
Yes and yes
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Shepway
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

I had my windscreen done on my 6 series and I noticed my hud wasn't right after, it just seemed off centre like the glass wasn't millimetre perfect
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have the HUD and all the cameras. I got an annoying chip a bit below where the HUD shows but definitely high enough to annoy me. I have full glass coverage. Nonetheless, I opted to have the chip "fixed". While it is still visible, I was not anxious to replace the entire windshield.

One thought for you. Sometimes our memory plays tricks on you. If you live close to the dealership, try going in and looking at one of the cars there with the HUD and see if it is different from your display.

I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I would take a close visual inspection of the glass to see if you can spot a deformity that may be at fault. The HUD isn't controlled by any of the cameras so I'm sure it wouldn't be calibrated in that process. The HUD is shined out from the dash onto the windshield.

If it is deformed it is quite possible the windshield glass isn't uniform in that location...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

2nd windshield in 3 months. Lord help me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Geez, sorry to hear about that. Sounds about like my F30's luck, had the windshield replaced and within 2 weeks had another rock hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
This is exactly why I go to the dealership for these types of things. Single point of contact for any issues. To me, it's worth whatever extra money it may cost. As I've said before, if you can afford the car, you can afford the BMW glass. It's peace of mind for this guy.

Plus Safelite doesn't always use OEM glass. It's hit or miss.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
This is exactly why I go to the dealership for these types of things. Single point of contact for any issues. To me, it's worth whatever extra money it may cost. As I've said before, if you can afford the car, you can afford the BMW glass. It's peace of mind for this guy.

+1. If you have full glass coverage, insurance will cover the repair, including the programming. The only issue I had with a windshield that needed to be replaced was that I had to pay upfront rather than have the insurance company pay the dealer directly. I had a check a few days later (insurance is Chubb, who are not the cheapest but excellent on claims and customer service) and I got my airline miles for the credit charges. My HUD was perfect afterward. If it wasn't, I only had one place to go for fixing any problems, rather than have the dealer and Safelite point fingers at each other.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Safelite OEM glass both times. Dealership brings it to them in my neighborhood
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Safelite OEM glass both times. Dealership brings it to them in my neighborhood
My dealership does them in-house which is what I prefer. Hopefully I won't be finding out anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
malruk
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

Had safelite replace my windshield with OEM replacement. I'd highly recommend having this done at your dealership vs. safelite even if safelite is the one who does it for your dealership. Let your dealership be the middle man because they will make sure its done right the first time.

First visit to safelite - wanted to use aftermarket glass
Second visit from safelite - installed OEM glass - couldn't not perform re-calibration due to the area we were in (they came to my office in the city)
Third visit to safelite - three different techs tried to calibrate the car, all three failed
Fourth visit to BMW dealer because safelite sent me - Dealer realized they didn't replace rain sensor, and front camera system in mirror was installed incorrectly - dealer fixed install but safelite refused to allow them to replace rain sensor
Fifth visit from safelite at the BMW dealer - safelite installs new rain sensor, and BMW successfully re-calibrates the system.

After talking with my advisor at the dealership, they actual replace all their glass in house. Next time I'll be starting there.

Just sharing one experience, if you have all the driving and parking nannies.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by malruk View Post
Had safelite replace my windshield with OEM replacement. I'd highly recommend having this done at your dealership vs. safelite even if safelite is the one who does it for your dealership. Let your dealership be the middle man because they will make sure its done right the first time.

First visit to safelite - wanted to use aftermarket glass
Second visit from safelite - installed OEM glass - couldn't not perform re-calibration due to the area we were in (they came to my office in the city)
Third visit to safelite - three different techs tried to calibrate the car, all three failed
Fourth visit to BMW dealer because safelite sent me - Dealer realized they didn't replace rain sensor, and front camera system in mirror was installed incorrectly - dealer fixed install but safelite refused to allow them to replace rain sensor
Fifth visit from safelite at the BMW dealer - safelite installs new rain sensor, and BMW successfully re-calibrates the system.

After talking with my advisor at the dealership, they actual replace all their glass in house. Next time I'll be starting there.

Just sharing one experience, if you have all the driving and parking nannies.
That's exactly why the dealership is the only place I go for any service work. Only one place to blame if something doesn't go right with the repair.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1707.50
malruk11.00