BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion EPIC BUILD!!! - Top Mount PT6262 M Coupe Turbo

09-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #67
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

This is some seriously awsome fabrication work, but have you guys considered how much that engine is going to move around under load? Some of the clearences (like the turbo to the inner fender, and the intake manifold to the strut brace) look way too tight in the pictures.

Have you fired this thing up yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #68
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

subscribed. i love these kind of builds. good luck hope everything comes through as planned
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #69
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94JZA80 View Post
you have to keep in mind what "rice" really is. rice is a state of mind...or a food, depending on how you look at it . parts are not rice, nor is the placement of parts...so long as form follows function. that's not to say that there isn't some "form" to the placement of his canister - he wanted the elevated and angled look, but it was just a bonus that it worked out that way. it results from the fact that it is a single exhaust all the way back, which happens to be the most important criterion of the exhaust, hence function over form. i can see how, at a glance, one might quickly assume rice simply b/c it shares some characteristics with the exhausts we often see on riced out cars. but just b/c this exhaust setup has things in common with what many associate as rice (large tip, canister muffler with CF wrap, heavily angled and elevated canister, etc.) does not make it rice...especially on this application, where function takes priority over form.

basically it boils down to the fact that Brian wanted a single, well-flowing exhaust, and was able to fulfill his dream of emulating a particular JDM exhaust style at the same time, all while creating a completely different and unique M Coupe in the process.

congratulations! of all the forums this build is being documented on, you're the first to pick up on what Brian is trying to emulate with his exhaust. most folks who don't like it seem to think it looks like rice, or a civic hatch with a fart can exhaust...but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

glad he likes the exhaust, I think it looks horrible. Thats why modding is all in good fun, its the owners style.
      09-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #70
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
- the wastegate is going to dump to atmosphere, just behind the radiator fan and shroud.

- as far as the anti surge goes, well, surge is surge. its a "better safe than sorry" precaution, and will help some in the event of a BOV failure, which we're not worried about either...again, just another fail safe and peace of mind. perhaps Brian or Shawn may have something more to say about it.
Not in front of the engine right? you're going to pipe it down below it....

And the anti surge wont do anything if the BOV dies it's for real surge, you'll lose some efficiency from it which is why I asked since that engine shouldn't be surging a pt62 with that ar.
      09-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #71
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Not in front of the engine right? you're going to pipe it down below it...
i don't know this detail yet, but i'd imagine Shawn is going to fab a dump pipe so that the wastegate isn't just dumping hot air between the back of the radiator and the front of the block. but i'm not 100% sure he has the room as of yet, so don't quote me...i'm sure he's got something planned for it though.

Quote:
And the anti surge wont do anything if the BOV dies it's for real surge, you'll lose some efficiency from it which is why I asked since that engine shouldn't be surging a pt62 with that ar.
i guess i misunderstood you the first time around. i'll have to get Brian or Shawn to answer this one, as i'm not quite sure why they went with an anti surge. what i CAN tell you is that this turbo isn't going to see boost levels high enough to put it out of its efficiency range while the engine is still running stock internals. i don't remeber what Brian said exactly, but i believe once Nick G's custom tune is in place, max boost will be around 20psi. and by the time the motor gets built, he'll be switching to a bigger turbo anyways. either way, they shouldn't have any problems reaching the goals they've set for this setup.
      09-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #72
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

Incredible work. I love everything except for that muffler though. But to each his own
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #73
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

1) Totally cool build. Hats off to your buddy for doing all the fabrication himself. I wish I had that type of talent. Should be quick!

2) That rear end kills me. "Function over form" fits because "form" is the last word I'd use. The already ugly Z3 rear is compounded with that wrap-around wing and the 'riced' out, 14" CF exhaust outlet, lol. Gold/silver combo rims seem out of place on the ride as well.

New rims, lose the wrap-around wing, and I think aesthetically it would benefit.
      09-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #74
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
let's see some facetube links and hear that sound and see it go!!!

PS - i think the wheels and exhaust don't suit the car's style but then again, it's the owner's choice. engine work is marvelous!
      09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #75
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
1) Totally cool build. Hats off to your buddy for doing all the fabrication himself. I wish I had that type of talent. Should be quick!

2) That rear end kills me. "Function over form" fits because "form" is the last word I'd use. The already ugly Z3 rear is compounded with that wrap-around wing and the 'riced' out, 14" CF exhaust outlet, lol. Gold/silver combo rims seem out of place on the ride as well.

New rims, lose the wrap-around wing, and I think aesthetically it would benefit.
thanks for both the props and the criticisms - as you know, we can't make something that everyone is going to like or love. what's perfect to one person may be hideous to another. fortunately, while Brian appreciates everyone's input, he is ultimately going to do what makes his car perfect in his eyes.

with regard to the wing, it is a factory option that almost nobody opted for when buying their M Coupe brand new. hence it is a rare piece that i personally think compliments the car well and sets it apart from most other M Coupes on the road.
      09-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #76
SuPaSkillz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i /2007 E63 M6

Nice ride!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #77
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
i love everything done to the car, but i hate the muffler
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #78
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

to be quite honest, i think we (Brian, Shawn, I , and the few others who knew about the project since its inception) expected the exhaust to not sit well with a large portion of the BMW community solely from the aesthetic point of view. Brian takes as much pride in ruffling the feathers of the BMW purists as he does in being unique. keep the comments coming folks.
      09-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #79
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
to be quite honest, i think we (Brian, Shawn, I , and the few others who knew about the project since its inception) expected the exhaust to not sit well with a large portion of the BMW community solely from the aesthetic point of view. Brian takes as much pride in ruffling the feathers of the BMW purists as he does in being unique. keep the comments coming folks.

i'm not a BMW purist at all, i just dont think it looks good

and that bend right before the can is a certainly not ideal

09-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #80
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
i'm not a BMW purist at all, i just dont think it looks good

and that bend right before the can is a certainly not ideal

understood, but we still get a kick out of reactions that come from the purists, as they're the ones who have the strongest opinions. you, on the other hand, dislike it, but appreciate what we are trying to accomplish even if its not what you would do in this situation.

and again, we know that those two last bends are not ideal, but for the power and efficiency goals we have set, they aren't going to be a problem either...which gave Brian more liberty to mount the canister the way he prefers it.
      09-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #81
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

AMAZING build >>> could not live with the exhaust but its not my car nor my project

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #82
A4RingedONE8T
Private
Rep
Drives: Turbo ///M Roadster

Didn't even realize the build had made it to this forum, sorry about my lack of presence in the thread so far to help Eric answer questions! First off I want to thank everyone for your comments on the fab work, I've surely put all my know how and experiences into Brian's build without a doubt. Being that this is the first 100% custom fab project I have personally done, and having never even touched a TIG prior, it surely tested my abilities! Overall I am extremely happy with where the car is right now (after only 5 weeks and this not being my primary focus for those 5 weeks) and how everything has turned out. It is definitely everything I hoped I could do plus alot more! Big thanks to Brian for being patient with me and for allowing me to teach myself along the way with the welding!

Reading through the thread I know Eric did his best to keep up with the questions, if there is anything I can further answer please let me know!

I know the wastegate dump has come up a few times, it will have a dump tube on it which routes the wastegate bypass underneath the car. Unfortuantely the u-bends to do so haven't taken it upon themselves yet to create what we need. It will be done before the end of the week when the ECU returns!

-Shawn-
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #83
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Wow!!!
That thing is insane!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #84
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
my sentiments exactly... loved everything about the car EXCEPT that horrible placement of the muffler... total rice like style..... why?
full agreed
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:14 AM   #85
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
this build is crazy!

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #86
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
as i'm not quite sure why they went with an anti surge. what i CAN tell you is that this turbo isn't going to see boost levels high enough to put it out of its efficiency range
That's not what I meant, the anti surge housings themselves are an efficiency eater, which is why if you don't need it you shouldn't run it. And that engine shouldn't need it. It's one of those things that doesn't make a huge difference in practice, but that would eat at someone who knows about it.
      09-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #87
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

god cant wait till this car gets on the dyno
      09-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #88
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not what I meant, the anti surge housings themselves are an efficiency eater, which is why if you don't need it you shouldn't run it. And that engine shouldn't need it. It's one of those things that doesn't make a huge difference in practice, but that would eat at someone who knows about it.
i gotcha...don't know why i didn't understand what you were getting at before, even though you spelled it out for me lol. i'm not sure why they opted for the anti-surge when a PT62 with a .81 a/r shouldn't cause surge problems in the first place. obviously had Brian gone with the same size turbo, but chosen a smaller a/r (say a .63 or a .56 - i'm not really sure how small an a/r is available on this turbo), then i could understand the need for an anti surge housing. perhaps, although being well aware of all this, they just didn't want to take the chance with the compressor freakishly spooling to quickly too early in the rpm's (even though the .81 a/r should prevent this - in theory). Shawn will need to answer this one, as i'm as unsure as you are.