BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding IPhone and CarPlay Issues

10-05-2022, 01:16 AM   #1
DalsM550i
M5DAL
Rep
Drives: M550i, Tanzanite Blue.

IPhone and CarPlay Issues

OK lads. I have a continuing CarPlay issue on my 20222 M550I.

I have had intermittent connectivity issues since I got the car 2 months ago. I have:
- Updated iPhone 13 pro max.
- Deleted phone several times and repaired
- Done several hard resets of infotainment (hold volume knob 30 secs)
- Updated Apps using the Option button.
- Checked all CarPlay settings inc Allowed Apps
- Siri is on with no restrictions
- Wifi on.

I can get the phone to connect ok. It will make calls and play music. BT shows it is "connected". When you select CarPlay and hold down the speech button, it generally (but not each time) finds the car. When it does and you select it, you just get a spinning wheel forever.

It does not connect to CarPlay despite it being connected by BT already. I have good tech knowledge and it seems CarPlay cannot see the BT connection. Has anyone else come across this and if they did how did they fix it?

Thanks, guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 07:25 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Carplay uses Bluetooth for the initial handshake only. Otherwise it uses 5Ghz wifi to communicate with iDrive.

Are you on iOS16?

You could always take it to the dealer and let them do their thing. The first course of action in a situation like this is to upgrade the iStep level to current. This way you won't have to wait for an OTA to see if the issue is specific to the software currently installed in your car.
      10-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #3
cooper_se
Registered
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper SE

Is there a publicly accessible istep level list that is kept up to date that I can browse to see what the current version is? Or do you need software for this?

For carplay the way I would go about it is:
Try a few other iphones (running the same ios as yours) if none of them work, it is definitely the car's fault and a visit to the dealer is needed.
If one of the iphones works I would wipe your iphone, update to latest ios (not restore it yet) and try again, if it works wipe again and restore everything from icloud
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #4
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

Do you by any chance have vpn active on your phone? That would make it connect via bluetooth only and make all sort of issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #5
DalsM550i
M5DAL
Rep

Thanks, not sure What IStep is! While I do use a VPN, it's off. Just tried my wife's iPhone 13 and it's the same. BT connects, but in Carplay "Other Cars" is just spinning constantly and won't connect. Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
DalsM550i
M5DAL
Rep

fixed by the Dealer today. He said its a "common problem" did 2 x full reboots of the infotainment system and repaired phone and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 03:48 PM   #7
machefai
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalsM550i View Post
fixed by the Dealer today. He said its a "common problem" did 2 x full reboots of the infotainment system and repaired phone and it worked.
I'm having this same issue. Is the reboot just for the idrive using the volume button? I've tried everything and can't get it to connect via carplay!
Appreciate 0