BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications MHD Stage 2 > 2+ - Burbles act strange

03-11-2024, 04:49 AM   #1
wouterb038
Rep
Drives: G31 540i

MHD Stage 2 > 2+ - Burbles act strange

Hello!

I installed the B58 TU HPFP last weekend and adjusted my MHD tune from Stage 2 to Stage 2+

Because I already had stage 2, I didn't expect much from stage 2 to stage 2+, but I have to admit that the car drives and reacts very differently (In a positive way). I only have 1 thing I don't understand:

With the old map (stage 2) I had the burbles (only on sport) at 0.8 seconds and sound at aggressive. This always gave 1 or 2 hard loud bangs when downshifting.

Now in the stage 2+ HPFP map I notice that the burble does not always work when downshifting. Only when you give a lot of gas at high revs do you get those hard bangs, but not always at lower speeds.

Do people recognize this with the HPFP map? Anyone have any recommendations for the settings? When my tank is empty i will try the 102ron(95oct) map to test it.

I don't use the exhaust burbles often. I also turned it off in comfort mode. But sometimes in a tunnel or a garage it's just fun to turn it on... but with the normal stage 2 map I could just trust that it always worked. Now it is quite irregular and does not always work. Pity.

Any tips are welcome!

Setup & Mods:
B58 Gen1
Osprey Custom turbo heatshield
Osprey 5" Downpipe
HPFP Tu1 pump
Straightpipe with only mid resonator and M-performance end muffler.
MST Cold air intake
BMW G31 - 540i
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 01:22 PM   #2
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nothing much to add here but I'll try your burble settings on my stage 2 car and see how it sounds. I plan on doing the HPFP eventually but not until I get new tires and my brakes installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

8 recall seeing other posts about burbles getting silenced in some 2+ tunes. Probably nothing you can do outside of reaching out to the tune manufacturer and see what they can find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb038 View Post
I chuckled a little bit when I read this. In what world is this considered a straight pipe exhaust? You have a resonator and a muffler (possibly a high flow cat in the DP as well). That's the opposite of a straight pipe exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 04:34 AM   #4
wouterb038
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
8 recall seeing other posts about burbles getting silenced in some 2+ tunes. Probably nothing you can do outside of reaching out to the tune manufacturer and see what they can find out.

I chuckled a little bit when I read this. In what world is this considered a straight pipe exhaust? You have a resonator and a muffler (possibly a high flow cat in the DP as well). That's the opposite of a straight pipe exhaust.

Yeah, straight pipe was not the good translation. I have a cattless downpipe and I meant that I don't have an OPF filter or other restrictions. Purely a pipe to the rear with a mid-resonator and an MPSSK eind muffler.

Its not a 'straight pipe' but a modifed exhaust with no power restrictions, only sound dampened parts. Better??
BMW G31 - 540i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #5
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb038 View Post
Hello!

I installed the B58 TU HPFP last weekend and adjusted my MHD tune from Stage 2 to Stage 2+

Because I already had stage 2, I didn't expect much from stage 2 to stage 2+, but I have to admit that the car drives and reacts very differently (In a positive way). I only have 1 thing I don't understand:

With the old map (stage 2) I had the burbles (only on sport) at 0.8 seconds and sound at aggressive. This always gave 1 or 2 hard loud bangs when downshifting.

Now in the stage 2+ HPFP map I notice that the burble does not always work when downshifting. Only when you give a lot of gas at high revs do you get those hard bangs, but not always at lower speeds.

Do people recognize this with the HPFP map? Anyone have any recommendations for the settings? When my tank is empty i will try the 102ron(95oct) map to test it.

I don't use the exhaust burbles often. I also turned it off in comfort mode. But sometimes in a tunnel or a garage it's just fun to turn it on... but with the normal stage 2 map I could just trust that it always worked. Now it is quite irregular and does not always work. Pity.

Any tips are welcome!

Setup & Mods:
B58 Gen1
Osprey Custom turbo heatshield
Osprey 5" Downpipe
HPFP Tu1 pump
MST Cold air intake
sparkplug? happened when I installed the TU HPFP and went bm3 stage 2+. I just assumed the tune giving more fuel to the engine leaves less gas in the exhaust to pop and bang but not sure
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 05:40 AM   #6
wouterb038
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooltype View Post
sparkplug? Happened when i installed the tu hpfp and went bm3 stage 2+. I just assumed the tune giving more fuel to the engine leaves less gas in the exhaust to pop and bang but not sure
ngk silzkgr8b8s (94201)
BMW G31 - 540i
Appreciate 1