BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System...is it worth it?

07-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #23
Cb116
Rep
Drives: M4

A friend of mine has the system and really think it may be a tad better and clear I will not be spendiNg the extra cash for it but agin would spend the $$ in a tune instead and have a real beast and would enjoy the sound of that motor so much more
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 520D

Friend my mine using HK and I use B&W What am I feeling is B&W system have more detailing in terms of human voice presenting; and this is not a kind of "Bass BOMBER".

On original sources which on FLAC HD could determining the qualities of miracle sound generating.....

Furthermore, I was listening the B&O and decided buy a B&W afterward....honestly, there are two different brand sound system company we can't compare of design advantage....and I could say B&W could be more closed to human listening attitude...NOT fit a BASS BOMBER at all.

Indeed, I dont expect the pedestrian hearing what am I listen inside my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #25
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
B&W

just ordered a 2019 M550 with the B&W. It like goes to "11" !!

Rob
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #26
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

This is one of those things that everyone has a different opinion on. I personally think it sounds way better than the HK system. I have paid more than $3400 for car audio systems that didn't sound this good.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #27
F16SAT
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Hello F16SAT here. New to Bimmerpost.
Putting together an 540i MSport order and wanted to get a few takes on the audio. I am an audiophile. I have a top-notch system at home. I will play hi-rez FLAC in the car off a USB drive.
Three questions:
1. Can a subwoofer be added to the Bowers and Wilkins system?
2. Is the B&W system time aligned and can it be eq'd?
3. Better to order the B&W or spend a comparable amount doing an aftermarket upgrade to the stock HiFi?
Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #28
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16SAT View Post
Hello F16SAT here. New to Bimmerpost.
Putting together an 540i MSport order and wanted to get a few takes on the audio. I am an audiophile. I have a top-notch system at home. I will play hi-rez FLAC in the car off a USB drive.
Three questions:
1. Can a subwoofer be added to the Bowers and Wilkins system?
2. Is the B&W system time aligned and can it be eq'd?
3. Better to order the B&W or spend a comparable amount doing an aftermarket upgrade to the stock HiFi?
Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Hello and welcome! Glad to have another audiophile in the forum.
Let's see if I can answer:
1) Dunno, others have done it. I have the Touring and acoustics are tricky. There are woofers already in the system, you do know that already?
2) Don't think so - I guess you are talking about a timing convolver, something like Dirac? BMW used to have it, I don't know if they still employ the algorithm without advertizing it.. It has a number of presets and a multi-band (I think 16?) EQ. I don't use the EQ at all and have set presets to Studio, which I perceive sounds most "natural"
3) My answer is emphatic yes - especially if you're gona play hi-rez FLACs. There is a measurable jump up in sq while using the USB and high-quality material (as opposed to the less good sounding, but much more convenient bluetooth hands-free connection.

I don't believe it is easy to change to an after-market system these days. The electronics are so well integrated, there is an optical buss in the car, I don't think this is a feasible route.

I'm quite happy with the B&W and would order again. It is nowhere near my home system in sound, but then again that is to be expected My speakers retail for about the same amount as the base 540 Car acoustics are a tricky chapter as you probably are well aware.

Do you use Dirac in your system? My experience with those convolvers was not too positive..
Appreciate 3
      12-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #29
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
For those with hk who arent entirely happy with it, try disconnecting the centre channel and then wonder why the car ever shipped with a centre channel in thw first place. Truly astounding difference. I have also used a spectrum analyser to tune my eq, sounds excellent now. There are a few peaky frequencies that are the worst offenders so as a start knock 500hz and 5khz down to -5 and see how that sounds for you.

Ive posted my full eq settings in another post in the bluetooth/coding section (post entitled hk centre channel)
It seems dumb to me to pay extra for a supposedly better audio system and then having to disconnect the center speaker to make it sound better. What a crock!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #30
F16SAT
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Hello and welcome! Glad to have another audiophile in the forum.
Let's see if I can answer:
1) Dunno, others have done it. I have the Touring and acoustics are tricky. There are woofers already in the system, you do know that already?
2) Don't think so - I guess you are talking about a timing convolver, something like Dirac? BMW used to have it, I don't know if they still employ the algorithm without advertizing it.. It has a number of presets and a multi-band (I think 16?) EQ. I don't use the EQ at all and have set presets to Studio, which I perceive sounds most "natural"
3) My answer is emphatic yes - especially if you're gona play hi-rez FLACs. There is a measurable jump up in sq while using the USB and high-quality material (as opposed to the less good sounding, but much more convenient bluetooth hands-free connection.

I don't believe it is easy to change to an after-market system these days. The electronics are so well integrated, there is an optical buss in the car, I don't think this is a feasible route.

I'm quite happy with the B&W and would order again. It is nowhere near my home system in sound, but then again that is to be expected My speakers retail for about the same amount as the base 540 Car acoustics are a tricky chapter as you probably are well aware.

Do you use Dirac in your system? My experience with those convolvers was not too positive..
Zap,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I know about the woofers but it seems pretty common online that some are unsatisfied with the LF response. I'm not looking for boom/thump just good response on a Harman curve as low as possible.
I am familiar with Dirac. I tried it at home and was reasonably impressed, but waiting for 2.0 and hoping that subs will be better integrated. I don't think BMW still carries the Dirac mod. It's definitely not marketed by BMW.
More curious about exactly what dsp and eq can be added by the B&W control head. I would measure with REW through a laptop.
Many well-reviewed aftermarket car amps do have an optical input and provide significant dsp capabilty I believe.
Bottom line, is the B&W worth $4200 or would that money be better spent on aftermarket. Today I am leaning toward the B&W if the front end has some audiophile capability. Trying to find a source that has that information.
Thanks, Happy Holidays to all.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:06 PM   #31
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I have McIntosh power and Klipsch speakers at home, so I appreciate good audio, although it is very difficult to reproduce in a car, IMO. I had HK in my 2016 M4, which I just traded for my 2019 M550i with B&W. There is no comparason. The B&W is so far superior to the HK that it is unbelievable. Never thought I would have audio this good in a car. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #32
LetsrollM550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

I have the HK system and was very disappointed, I just had SWS 8" subs installed, a lc2i, and Alpine MrV-500 installed and the system sounds phenomenal now. The factory subs weigh down the factory amp significantly and they sound poorly. Subs $200, Lc2i $100, alpine amp $139, and install$350. Completely changed the dynamics of the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #33
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsrollM550 View Post
I have the HK system and was very disappointed, I just had SWS 8" subs installed, a lc2i, and Alpine MrV-500 installed and the system sounds phenomenal now. The factory subs weigh down the factory amp significantly and they sound poorly. Subs $200, Lc2i $100, alpine amp $139, and install$350. Completely changed the dynamics of the system.
You left the other HK speaker alone? That sounds like a minor upgrade dollar wise for a big improvement. Nice going.
      12-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #34
LetsrollM550
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsrollM550 View Post
You left the other HK speaker alone? That sounds like a minor upgrade dollar wise for a big improvement. Nice going.
Yes, big improvement, I've seen other posts here to replace all the other HK speakers with bav sound, but I'm pretty happy with this, last car was a 2018 zl1 with Bose and this sounds way better!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #35
john_luvbimmer
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: 520i (F10)

Garage List
2014 BMW 520i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRX34 View Post
My M550 came equipped with the B&W and I haven't had a chance to compare it the G30 HK system but coming from an M4 that had HK it is far superior sounding although the bass is just okay.
It's meant for sharper sounding quality rather than just having a "system" that causes window shattering and unnecessary attention.

The only pet peeve I have is that the lighting stays white and doesn't change when different lighting colors are selected, but it seems to change in some YouTube videos I've seen with the BW system in the 7er.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRX34 View Post
My M550 came equipped with the B&W and I haven't had a chance to compare it the G30 HK system but coming from an M4 that had HK it is far superior sounding although the bass is just okay.
It's meant for sharper sounding quality rather than just having a "system" that causes window shattering and unnecessary attention.

The only pet peeve I have is that the lighting stays white and doesn't change when different lighting colors are selected, but it seems to change in some YouTube videos I've seen with the BW system in the 7er.
The color changing version of B&W is not authentic. They look great but are clones with original logos on them. The sound quality is definitely not as good.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #36
jpt99
2024 m340i, 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i

I also upgraded stock amp to Match 82DSP and replaced underseat subs with SWS. Left the HK speakers alone. Much improved sound. I'm impressed with how the HKs perform with the new DSP. They are very capable speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:40 AM   #37
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt99 View Post
I also upgraded stock amp to Match 82DSP and replaced underseat subs with SWS. Left the HK speakers alone. Much improved sound. I'm impressed with how the HKs perform with the new DSP. They are very capable speakers.
I'm liking the idea of leaving the HK speakers alone (except maybe small tweeters) and replacing the subs and better amp. Possibly a separate mono sub amp too. But doesn't the bmw system use a fiber cable with proprietary bus? How did that work?
If I sound confused that's because my bmw is still on the ship 3 days from port.
      12-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #38
jpt99
2024 m340i, 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i

You need this
http://www.mobridge.us/products/most...igital-pre-amp
This plugs into the DSP. You can customize the DSP to your sound preference. I honestly don't think you need to change the tweeters. They are very capable. My main concern was the highs. The DSP is amazing at tweaking the sound to your liking. I would highly recommend this conversion. It's all plug n play. I'll put stock amp back in after my lease is up and stick this all in my new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #39
elonepb
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I have the B&W system in my Volvo XC90. Until I got my M550i with the standard system, I had thought the B&W audio was just a nice-to-have.

Now I often want to drive my Volvo just because of the way the music sounds.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #40
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need this
This plugs into the DSP. You can customize the DSP to your sound preference. I honestly don't think you need to change the tweeters. They are very capable. My main concern was the highs. The DSP is amazing at tweaking the sound to your liking. I would highly recommend this conversion. It's all plug n play. I'll put stock amp back in after my lease is up and stick this all in my new car.
Thanks
      12-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #41
***Gnome***
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:
You need this
You need to have the Harman Kardon or B&W system in order to use this solution. The lower level audio versions do not have a DSP so if you want to add an amp you'll need to tap into the analog speaker outputs.

I listened to the B&W and did not find it worth the extra $, so I ordered the Harman Kardon. When I get the car if it's good enough I'll leave as-is, if not I have the flexibility to go the mobridge route and upgrade away. For context on my other car I installed a Focal/Audison/JL Audio setup that is pretty darn good but cost just a tad more than the B&W.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #42
Farravi
Newbie to G30
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Gnome*** View Post
For context on my other car I installed a Focal/Audison/JL Audio setup that is pretty darn good but cost just a tad more than the B&W.
I’m based in London (UK) and have the ‘basic’ system which is one system lower than the Hifi system where by there are no individual tweeters on the front doors, nor is there a separate AMP.

I am looking for a alternative to HK and B&W and leaning towards a ETON / Focal / Audison / JL Audio setup. Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #43
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farravi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Gnome*** View Post
For context on my other car I installed a Focal/Audison/JL Audio setup that is pretty darn good but cost just a tad more than the B&W.
I’m based in London (UK) and have the ‘basic’ system which is one system lower than the Hifi system where by there are no individual tweeters on the front doors, nor is there a separate AMP.

I am looking for a alternative to HK and B&W and leaning towards a ETON / Focal / Audison / JL Audio setup. Any recommendations?
HiFi is the standard audio system for the US market.

It seems in Europe you still get the old basic "Business" System.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #44
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

I too have ordered a B&W system in my car that I hope to collect in January. I'm no audiophile however I do like listing to good music when I can. I test drove a 530 with HK and a 540 with B&W and definitely preferred the B&W. (I also drove a E400 with the Burmester Audio) The B&W was, to my ears, by far the best sounding.

I'm sure the folks at BMW and B&W would have set the system up to be as good as it possibly could be with "time aligning" and all of the other "adjustments". My understating of the need for time aligning in home systems is because the system manufacturer does not know about the acoustics of the room or where the speakers will be placed. In a car I'm pretty sure that BMW & B&W know where the speakers will be placed and the acoustics of the environment so all of this would have been pre tuned out of the factory.

I know we are all different, have different likes, expectations and listen to different music so I get all of the discussion about adding extra woofers, modifying the flux capacitor and changing the system dynamics in an effort to tune the system to individual needs. All I am saying is, that in my opinion, BMW & B&W have done a fantastic job with setting the system up, out of the box for 80% of the market, which is all we can really ask of them.

Happy Christmas all
Appreciate 0