BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos You ever lose the love?

05-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #23
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
A realtor friend of mine seems to absolutely love her membership, I am sure you are talking about R Club
I can definitely see the draw, but it's probably not for me. There's something about driving your own car IMHO. Yea, that also means cleaning, maintaining and fixing it, but it's much better than constantly throwing money away like that.... not that I could afford those memberships anyway
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
kyriian872.00
      05-04-2021, 07:03 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I am 56 and keep cars a long time. I like learning about them, working on them and modifying them. Have had my 99 M3 since 2005 and it is fully built and turbocharged, we had a 99 528i that we owned from 2005-2015, we are about to give away the 08 535xi that we bought in 2011, and I am about to sell the 08 M3 that I bought in 2011. I did/do all the maintenance and repairs after the warranty expires and installed all the mods.

I can say that I have become less interested in loud, fast and rough riding and more into comfort. If they are not comfortable, I am less likely to want to drive them except briefly. Our cars now are a 21 Cayenne S, and 18 M5 and the E36 M3. The E36 M3 may or may not stay; I'll have to decide over the next year whether I want to keep it. There is also a 75 2002 that I am restoring and will give to a nephew.

In my future, I see more driving events, more car detailing than repair work, and a late model 911 Turbo. I don't think the car enthusiast in me will ever go away. Not sure what I will do when cars are all electric.
Appreciate 4
W///7435.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
zeroM361.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
      05-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #25
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
2 things for me: Mod the house, which is even more expensive than modding cars. And traveling. Also got into running a year ago when COVID started.
Oh god yes, mod the house is ridonculous. It NEVER ends either. Same thing as travel as well, now that I have a kid I feel more inclined to fly so the kid can actually get a bigger worldview. And myself too.

Quote:
I can definitely see the draw, but it's probably not for me. There's something about driving your own car IMHO. Yea, that also means cleaning, maintaining and fixing it, but it's much better than constantly throwing money away like that.... not that I could afford those memberships anyway
^I swear we are like brothers from different mothers . Most posts you had I cannot help but agree, and I totally LOVE your collection.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      05-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #26
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Currently going through the house/car battle with the wife. I didn't want to do such huge renos to the house, they were eye watering, especially the kitchen and floors. But I let it slide. Now time to get a car and she is not happy.
Appreciate 1
W///7435.50
      05-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #27
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

For manuals, yes. My knees getting fatigued while driving killed my love for manuals.

For cars and driving, no. Still love driving, still mesmerized by cars and their engines.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh god yes, mod the house is ridonculous. It NEVER ends either. Same thing as travel as well, now that I have a kid I feel more inclined to fly so the kid can actually get a bigger worldview. And myself too.

^I swear we are like brothers from different mothers . Most posts you had I cannot help but agree, and I totally LOVE your collection.
haha yea, I've very much noticed we think the same. Well we do drive the same cars so that's something.

Thanks so much for the compliment. I do have to say though, I bought all my cars used with some more miles, so they're all drivers. But that's what makes them great value IMHO. Makes it hard to justify these dream cars. If it was financially feasible, sure maybe do it once to scratch the itch? But to implode the fleet and probably not that much more fun? Nah.
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2021, 06:14 AM   #29
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
A realtor friend of mine seems to absolutely love her membership, I am sure you are talking about R Club
yup R club, definitely have some cool cars
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:59 AM   #30
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Yes, I have the exact same issue. I average one car per year...and each time, I convince myself that the next one is "the one". I even dipped my toe into the P world last year through a new Cayman S, but sold it after a few months (the crappy sounding 4 banger didn't help matters). I have tried older iconic cars (low mileage E46M3), daily driver plus special car set ups, etc...none of them truly scratched the itch.

While I know it is a pretty stupid move financially, I have come to grips that "the chase" for the next car, and the process to get it "perfect" once I get it, are my outlets...while the kids and wifey are asleep on the weekend, I am dialing in my new car for hours, and it is my quiet time.

Even now I am excited at the prospect of getting one of the last remaining allocations for the M2C, and so the story goes. If I am being honest, I do wish I could just drive a Camry for 10 years and be happy with that. I could use the time and money I would save in a more productive way
Appreciate 3
baege1320.50
alan7467128.00
rcaso26331.00
      05-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #31
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Forgot to mention in my first post that while there are still a few cars I'm looking forward to, the list is getting smaller. I know the direction the car industry is heading is inevitable, but I genuinely feel like we've reached the ceiling of cars that I love years ago. Apart from the G87, I literally cannot think of something else I'd want to add. Everything else will just be electric appliances to get me from A to B, which kind of puts me at ease.

It's actually been nice to see links for reviews and press releases, and think to myself "I actually don't care" --> Pretty much all Mclarens these days for example
Same thing for me. And after many years of shopping for something mildly interesting, I've determined it's not me, but the cars currently on sale. They suck and they're boring.

So I ended up with a 2020 WRX STI. It's arguably the oldest new car you can buy today, and it's a blast. Like how cars "used to be" made.

Between the R8 and the STI, I honestly think I'm set until the electric domination. Going to hold onto these and repair them for as long as I can. Otherwise, there's not a single car I'm interested in at a price I'm willing to spend the money on.
      05-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #32
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
Yes, I have the exact same issue. I average one car per year...and each time, I convince myself that the next one is "the one". I even dipped my toe into the P world last year through a new Cayman S, but sold it after a few months (the crappy sounding 4 banger didn't help matters). I have tried older iconic cars (low mileage E46M3), daily driver plus special car set ups, etc...none of them truly scratched the itch.

While I know it is a pretty stupid move financially, I have come to grips that "the chase" for the next car, and the process to get it "perfect" once I get it, are my outlets...while the kids and wifey are asleep on the weekend, I am dialing in my new car for hours, and it is my quiet time.

Even now I am excited at the prospect of getting one of the last remaining allocations for the M2C, and so the story goes. If I am being honest, I do wish I could just drive a Camry for 10 years and be happy with that. I could use the time and money I would save in a more productive way
well enjoy the chase while you still are in it, you might miss it once it fades away like it seems to be doing for me!
Appreciate 1
Foggins1331.50
      05-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I would probably lose interest in my cars quickly if:

1) I didn't modify them to make them my own

2) Didn't maintain them myself

3) I concerned myself with having the latest, greatest, fastest, etc.

IMO, the people that tend to go through cars quickly are the ones that keep them stock and don't know how to work on them much less do the most basic of modifications and really don't know much about cars or how to drive one hard.

They also tend to blow money on other stuff and are more concerned about keeping up with others, having the latest and greatest, the projection of high financial status (yet spend all their money, "Big hat, no cattle"), etc. They're never satisfied with what they have and are generally materialistic. That's what I've personally seen over the decades with friends, family, and hanging out with "car people".
      05-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #34
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I would probably lose interest in my cars quickly if:

1) I didn't modify them to make them my own

2) Didn't maintain them myself

3) I concerned myself with having the latest, greatest, fastest, etc.

IMO, the people that tend to go through cars quickly are the ones that keep them stock and don't know how to work on them much less do the most basic of modifications and really don't know much about cars or how to drive one hard.

They also tend to blow money on other stuff and are more concerned about keeping up with others, having the latest and greatest, the projection of high financial status (yet spend all their money, "Big hat, no cattle"), etc. They're never satisfied with what they have and are generally materialistic. That's what I've personally seen over the decades with friends, family, and hanging out with "car people".
I see a lot of truth in that...

I was going to say that I don't modify my cars nearly as much as I used to given how my F30 is basically stock except for a strut bar, rear hitch, and soon to be window tint. But, then I thought about BimmerCode and all the various customization you can do there...so yeah, it's still there, just different.

Working on it keeps the interest. I swear I'm messing with the thing somehow almost every day.

I will say that each time I get a new car, aside from being a four door sedan, it's vastly different than the one before. Despite having been enamored with that car and believing I would stick with the same make and model, I end up with something much different next time. And, I feel the same way about it...until my next car. I never lose interest in the cars I own and love them up to the day I trade them in, but always end up being drawn to something much different in the process. My last car, for example, was a Nissan Maxima.

Right there now with the F30, so we'll see. I really enjoy my car and would like to stick with BMW, but my pattern suggests that may or may not happen. I always end up loving whatever car I pick though, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #35
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm gonna go all psychologist on the OP.

IMHo this is bigger than cars, you're middle aged, hit most life goals and back of your brain is saying, "wait...is this it...this is all there is?".

Mortality be weighing on your mind.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
W///7435.50
      05-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have not lost the love, at least not with internal combustion engines. Electric cars leave me cold as ice, I could care less what their 0-60 is

I buy cars and don't change them for a really long time. There are few cars other than M3s I have any interest in whatsoever, so I stay in the M3 family.

Tracking has made me appreciate my cars a lot more. I am not interested in highway pulls, or 0-60, and am not mesmerized by supposed 'track ready cars' that will inevitably need mods to handle real track work. I am 100% aware that the biggest limitation is myself, the driver, and work hard to overcome those limitations instead of thinking of mods/other cars.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but I also have different cars at the same time. Right now it's a Mini Cooper S 2015 6MT, 3 M3s (E90 stroker DCT, E92 6MT garage queen, F80 CS) and until very recently had a 2012 X5. Each car is driven differently and has different strengths and weaknesses, so the experience changes during the week.

I use the E92 once a month in summer and the sense of occasion is massive, I enjoy it like if it were a Ferrari.

If I stopped tracking I could have a F458 or whatever, but I have no interest in flashy cars that are not driven hard. If I won the lottery I'd like a 812 Superfast, just because 6.5L engine with 800hp NA is truly incredible, but other than that I have zero desire for other cars.
Appreciate 2
W///7435.50
      05-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #37
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

How the hell do you guys run somany cars? Insurance here is EYE WATERING. It's be 10K to keep 5 cars on the road.

I am tying myself in KNOTS to go dedicated sports car and own 3 cars or compromise and do an E92 DD and just run 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:19 PM   #38
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How the hell do you guys run somany cars? Insurance here is EYE WATERING. It's be 10K to keep 5 cars on the road.

I am tying myself in KNOTS to go dedicated sports car and own 3 cars or compromise and do an E92 DD and just run 2 cars.
specialty insurance. i pay under 3k a year for both my M3 and GT3 combined. I keep my civic on geico with just liability.

of course there are stipulations with specialty insurance (ie can't be a daily, mileage limits, need to have a garage, can't be raced or tracked, etc)

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #39
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm gonna go all psychologist on the OP.

IMHo this is bigger than cars, you're middle aged, hit most life goals and back of your brain is saying, "wait...is this it...this is all there is?".

Mortality be weighing on your mind.
ha ha, well you are right on the middle aged part...but wouldn't the spectre of mortality make me wanna say F responsibility and get that 458 italia and live in the moment?

But I think you are onto something with the age factor when I think of it...

I think maybe middle aged has more to do with me losing interest in driving in a "spirited manner". Lately i just want to chill out more and have a relaxing drive as opposed to an invigorating drive...I think that happens to some of us as we age (but not all of us clearly has lots of older people have cool fast cars and even track them)

this might explain why I am less interested in getting cooler, faster cars with higher capabilities...I am less interested in exploring those capabilities.

But it was the pursuit of a more engaging invigorating driving experience that was always drove my chase in the past...if I don't care so much about that anymore, might as well get a decently fun car and just chill...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

It's dirt cheap here. My current situation is this:
- Tundra on a "normal" insurance policy, comes out to about $120 a month
- All 3 of my M's are insured through Hagerty, for agreed value which is a must for me. It comes out to $140 a month for all 3.
- Property taxes run at about $100 a month if I had to guess for all 4. As cars age, the taxes are less and less, to the point the E36 M3 is about $70 a year.

So all in all, it's not undoable, but this would be impossible say in Europe. Now, maintaining all of them is a completely different story. Knock on wood, all of mine have been behaving, but I'd say that would be the biggest cost out of everything should something go bad.

Also, you're right about looking at cars differently as we age. If you would have told me these would be the cars I would own when I was young, I would have said you're lying. I've just really recently learned to appreciate all that I have (not just cars) and not look elsewhere.

SYT_Shadow , I completely agree with the way you use them. By having many choices and all different cars, it definitely keeps it interesting. I'm at the point where I look at the E36 M3 and think I'd have a great time on the track with it. Might be time to finally go through with it.

ntg44 : You get exactly what I'm saying. Cars from 2010 +-4 years are just a different breed IMHO. They're the ones with plenty of emotion, but can still be maintained, and are still more than fast enough. Great choice!
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #41
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
But it was the pursuit of a more engaging invigorating driving experience that was always drove my chase in the past...if I don't care so much about that anymore, might as well get a decently fun car and just chill...
See I have gone the other way. I had a 105 series Alfa Giulia at age 20, super fun, would certainly explore it's limits. Then got all serious with wife and kids and ben driving Neon then a Saab for near 20 years. So now, i'm super keen for something mean.

Those insurance numbers are ABSURD. I've never had a ticket, get a RAFT of discounts and my near worthless car costs me $1400 a year.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #42
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
ntg44 : You get exactly what I'm saying. Cars from 2010 +-4 years are just a different breed IMHO. They're the ones with plenty of emotion, but can still be maintained, and are still more than fast enough. Great choice!
Thanks. It's funny you say that. I've thought to myself numerous times that enthusiast oriented cars in general started sucking around 2015, when new models/redesigns were introduced starting in that model year. Certain cars like the Mustang 5.0 and STI have somehow avoided this. The STI in particular is so ancient that I wrote it off in 2015, but in 2020 it's a completely different level of engagement that you can't find anywhere else. It's rough, clunky, and I love it.

I'll keep my dinosaurs over these new isolation chambers on wheels. End of an era.
      05-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #43
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Those insurance numbers are ABSURD. I've never had a ticket, get a RAFT of discounts and my near worthless car costs me $1400 a year.
Onterrible

My little worthless Scion is the same too, still costs about $1200, I am not even going to talk about the two BMWs.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #44
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I think it's just you "growing up" and coming to realize there's more to life than material things, like cars.

I've gotten into many car funks like you are in right now. And what I've learned at this point in my life is that expensive cars and the constant move to the next "better" thing (no matter what it is) does not and will not make me happy.

Case in point: I have a gen 1 V8 R8, and my neighbor recently got a gen 2 R8 (V10). He's redoing his driveway right now so the car is sitting outside in plain sight. I pass by it every day and get a hint of jealousy every time I see it. Until 5 seconds goes by and I realize I could afford a gen 2 if I really wanted it, but after thinking about it, my life would be 100% exactly the same if I traded mine in for a gen 2. Except I'd have about 100k less in my bank account. So what's the point?

There are ways to enjoy your car hobby without constantly trading cars. If you like driving, then a track car is definitely the way to go. It directs your car hobby into a new skill and still keeps you involved in the scene.

If it's modifying, why not buy a project car? A real project car, a chassis with no motor, try building something? Start with a generic LS swap so you gain some experience and then do something whacky later on. Keeps it interesting and keeps you invested in the hobby and motivated/engaged.

As for me, my enjoyment comes from washing/detailing cars. Gives me satisfaction and puts me in a great mood for the next 2-3 days. And the compliments I get for my clean cars are selfish little payoffs for the hours I spend detailing them.

If there's a takeaway from this, I'd say spend less time consuming and more time producing something. It's more fulfilling and at least for me, makes me happier because of it.
Wow, great post! A lot of wisdom here... which will likely be ignored unfortunately lol

The root of the OP’s concern is likely also why the divorce rate is so high nowadays, and most Americans have tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

Popular culture always has you chasing the next, selling you the next... instead of pushing you to find contentment where you are.

Last edited by Biginboca; 05-06-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
Humdizzle6024.00