BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Ideas on 540i exhaust sound increase

12-02-2021, 12:00 AM   #1
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Ideas on 540i exhaust sound increase

Hey guys, I've got a 2017 540i CPO fitted it with MPPSK a few months back when I bought it.

Sounds good but recently noticed that I'm turning my head away when a better sounding car passes by. If I'm checking other cars then you know I've got a problem I'm looking at a more pronounced exhaust sound with a bit more pops and no limp mode cruising.

I'm looking at two options:
either do a VRSF catted down pipe which I'm not sure if it through a CEL or not! I've read that in NA it does! Any idea?
Or my other options is to remove the mid resonator only.

Both cheap and not too too load.

Really do appreciate your inputs based on experience.
Would be awesome to see if someone have done it alongside MPPSK.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:37 AM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

You will most likely throw a CEL even with a Catted Hi Flow DP. The only way to make the exhaust louder would be to remove resonators or the Catalytic or both. You could also remove the baffling in the MPPSK exhaust, but that would basically ruin it.

If want to run the DP without a CEL, I suggest getting a tune.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Kandymany
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

I installed a 300 cell downpipe (national law) + resonator delete (valve controlled).
Now it's perfect for me.

I would go for a catless downpipe + tune. Could be the cheapest and most successfull way
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #4
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandymany View Post
I installed a 300 cell downpipe (national law) + resonator delete (valve controlled).
Now it's perfect for me.

I would go for a catless downpipe + tune. Could be the cheapest and most successfull way
How does the valve control res delete works? They added a pipe around the resonator?

Catless both smells and it's too load. All in scenario for me is BM3 + Catted DP + Resonator delete. But I'm afraid it's going to be too load! I'm not ready for all in yet. I promised myself last month I'm gonna stop purring money into this and put it towards the M5; but hear we are 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #5
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

I was saying back in September when you posted BM3 and MPE would be the better option price and performance wise. If I were in your position now, I'd just sit tight with what you have and wait for the CPO to expire then flash different burble settings or Stage 1 with BM3.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:01 AM   #6
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
I was saying back in September when you posted BM3 and MPE would be the better option price and performance wise. If I were in your position now, I'd just sit tight with what you have and wait for the CPO to expire then flash different burble settings or Stage 1 with BM3.
Talked to my local BM3 reseller today; he said that burble settings essentially drops extra fuel in the exhaust and with stock catted DP, my cat would get so hot that it won't be recommended or safe.
For burble settings using BM3 I have to change the DP to a high flow catted one at a minimum.
Don't care much about the CPO warranty.
Like to avoid sinking more money into it as I would be trading it in in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
Kandymany
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Resonator was cut open and the valve side had been replace with an open pipe.
Valve closed = normal, valve open = loud.
I measured 92dB at 3750rpm 50cm/20 inch away.
Coldstart is about 98dB.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #8
Mikej0h
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i G30 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
Quote:
Now it's perfect for me.

How does the valve control res delete works? They added a pipe around the resonator?

Catless both smells and it's too load. All in scenario for me is BM3 + Catted DP + Resonator delete. But I'm afraid it's going to be too load! I'm not ready for all in yet. I promised myself last month I'm gonna stop purring money into this and put it towards the M5; but hear we are
I have the MSPPK (so tune, torque converter + exhaust), and have let them modify my existing pipes as the MSPPK doesn't have a valve.

I have a Guerilla valve, and the guys placed an extra pipe before the damper. When you open the valve, you essentially straight pipe your exhaust.

I attached two pics how it looks for my 540i
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej0h View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Now it's perfect for me.

Catless both smells and it's too load. All in scenario for me is BM3 + Catted DP + Resonator delete. But I'm afraid it's going to be too load! I'm not ready for all in yet. I promised myself last month I'm gonna stop purring money into this and put it towards the M5; but hear we are
I have the MSPPK (so tune, torque converter + exhaust), and have let them modify my existing pipes as the MSPPK doesn't have a valve.

I have a Guerilla valve, and the guys placed an extra pipe before the damper. When you open the valve, you essentially straight pipe your exhaust.

I attached two pics how it looks for my 540i
Wao. Nice idea. So you essentially have a valved muffler delete and kept the resonator. How load is it?
Do you mind sharing how much did you pay for it!?
I'm gonna ask my exhaust guy if he can do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #10
m7mad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

I have the same setup as yours, I also love more sound but what stops me from fitting catted downpipe is that it will get really loud, MPPSK doesnt have valve to control the noise so its always open. One thing I might do is replace MPE with a valved one (not really fan of MPE noise) and maybe put catted downpipe along with resonator delete.
cna90176.00
      12-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
matty81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have the mpe and fitted a decat downpipe along with bootmod3. The sound now is perfect. Quiet in comfort and no drone but loud in sport plus when you want it
Appreciate 1
cna90176.00
      12-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty81 View Post
I have the mpe and fitted a decat downpipe along with bootmod3. The sound now is perfect. Quiet in comfort and no drone but loud in sport plus when you want it
Yea same here, except I opted for the hiflow cat. Almost stock quiet in comfort or eco unless you really punch the revs. A true bi-modal exhaust is no doubt better but MPE + pipe + tune is a good balance for the 5'er IMHO.
      12-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #13
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7mad View Post
I have the same setup as yours, I also love more sound but what stops me from fitting catted downpipe is that it will get really loud, MPPSK doesnt have valve to control the noise so its always open. One thing I might do is replace MPE with a valved one (not really fan of MPE noise) and maybe put catted downpipe along with resonator delete.
That's why I'm thinking resonator delete should be enough. MPPSK on 340i and 440i with the same engine includes the resonator delete.

I've booked it for the 30th. Still not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #14
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Quote:
Yea same here, except I opted for the hiflow cat. Almost stock quiet in comfort or eco unless you really punch the revs. A true bi-modal exhaust is no doubt better but MPE + pipe + tune is a good balance for the 5'er IMHO.
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of catless.
Which catted DP you've got? Did it throw a CEL?
How load is the cold start?
I heard you can disable the cold start noise. Did any of you guys do it?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:35 AM   #15
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Mine was a VRSF (https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-4-5-ca...0i-xdrive.html)
Yes, I disabled the cold start cat heating in Bootmod3. Nice and gentle on startup now, no worries about noise. I reckon it's actually quieter than stock standard B58. If you leave the heating enabled it's naturally a fair bit louder but not obnoxious or anything. Easily configurable.

If you do disable the cold start, it takes the engine a bit longer to come up to temp (probably 3-4 min. extra), so probably something to keep in mind if you like waking up and going full throttle straight away .
      12-06-2021, 03:17 AM   #16
m7mad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

Quote:
Can you please be kind to share some clips for us. It will help alot I'm also wanting to pull the trigger on a high flow cats.
      12-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #17
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine was a VRSF (https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-4-5-ca...0i-xdrive.html)
Yes, I disabled the cold start cat heating in Bootmod3. Nice and gentle on startup now, no worries about noise. I reckon it's actually quieter than stock standard B58. If you leave the heating enabled it's naturally a fair bit louder but not obnoxious or anything. Easily configurable.

If you do disable the cold start, it takes the engine a bit longer to come up to temp (probably 3-4 min. extra), so probably something to keep in mind if you like waking up and going full throttle straight away .
Sweet. Thanks.
I was looking at VRSF catted DP. It's only 200 cell so for sure I need a tune alongside it.
I don't think I will disable it, specially during winter in Canada; but it's always good to know there is the option.

I'm gonna put the order and hopefully I'll get it early next year.
Appreciate 0