BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My Irish 540ix progress thread

12-10-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

My Irish 540ix progress thread

I finally got my hands on a 540i, unfortunately in Ireland most 5 series are ordered as a 520D or a 530e. My previous pocket rocket m140i, imported from the UK, also had the peach of a b58 engine, running stage 2 MHD e30, Mperformance LSD, Bilstein suspension and some lighter wheels, wider tyres, it was a little weapon, not much it couldn't out run.

I wanted a larger car again, i was looking at M4's but not many tidy nice spec ones for sale and i wasn't too keen to be in a coupe style again(e92 335i previously)

I always liked the idea of the 540i but they are like gold dust over here, then i saw one pop up for sale. Im not so into specs etc and options it had, but from what i could see it was adequate, the only thing i would miss is folding rear seats one popped up locally and i went to view it and was impressed from the start, price agreed, the car was supposed to be delivered to me on Tuesday afternoon, but storm Barra decided to arrive over our little Emerald isle and they cancelled on me until weather improved. They were more than happy to let me come collect it though!

I set off to get across country there before they closed, speed limits may have been ignored, cross winds battered my little 1 series but i made it there just in time. 2.5 hour trip back home, on quiet roads so it was a good first drive experience .

Pictured here in its second home:

Im not a fan of chrome trim on cars so as soon as i got home i swapped on a set of Gloss black grills

Im looking forward to this project, its something a bit different around here, maybe not so different on this forum but it should be good fun and there is lots of great information flowing on here!

in the coming weeks plans include:

Interim oil/ oil filter change
15mm wheel spacers
Fullscreen apple car play coded
Steering wheel retrim
New front discs with EBC yellowstuff pads
Brake fluid change

Early 2022:
NGK 94201 plugs
ZF service
Get rid of runflats
H&R lowering springs
MST intake
VRSF sport cat
MHD stage 2 map
XHP stage 2/3
Gloss black rear spoiler
Gloss black front splitter
LCI rear lights upgrade
Custom midpipe/catback exhaust

Mid 2022:
TU hpfp
Vargas GC turbo
custom tune

Im sure there will be more additions along the way as i get more used to hte g30 platform.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by buddyboy; 12-10-2021 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 4
Junebug851615.00
maDjzo861.50
Llarry15862.00
      12-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Congrats on the new car

Looking forward to seeing this transform.

Some tasty mods lined up for 2022!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Congrats on the new car

Looking forward to seeing this transform.

Some tasty mods lined up for 2022!

Thanks, it still has an AUC BMW warranty on it until May but im too impatient to wait for that to end before i start with the upgrades! I just need to decide on the turbo upgrade and tuner. There isn't many suitable options locally, but with the likes of BM3 and MHD and their datalogging options there is plenty of remote tuning options to support the turbo upgrade when its acquired
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

So the first week of ownership has been busy.

It got its first wash
Some things got broken
Some bits got improved

First wash - It took me longer than expected, i need to get used to the bigger car life! Vasco prewash to remove most of the tar, great stuff, Bilt Hamber snow foam on and rinsed off, washed with Meguiars NXT shampoo. Dried off then onto a quick coat of Chemical Guys black light hybrid polish/sealant and then topped off with chemical guys v07 spray sealant . Some Sonax BSD on the wheels and Meguiars tyre gel. That should help keep it a bit cleaner over the winter months that remain and make maintenance washes a bit easier

I knew the front pads were low and small shudder under breaking so i was guessing brake issue or wheel balance issue. I went to a local tyre shop to try rule out a wheel imbalance issue. Absolute idiots couldn't get one of the lock nuts off, i think they went at it with a impact gun and damaged the key. 3 wheels balanced, a damaged lock nut key and a seized damaged lock nut and all bolts over torqued, its booked in for Friday to get all that mess resolved

Improvements - starting off with a few interior bits, factory satnav updated with 2021 maps, Apple car play coded, New steering wheel retrim and coded Alpina instrument cluster dials

Carplay fun:

Old wheel:

New wheel:

Its a little bit thicker than the standard wheel but it really adds a nice touch to the interior, and matches Alpina dials, paired with the blue ambient lighting at nigh time

Maintenance parts en route:

New BMW genuine front discs
brake pad wear sensor
EBC yellowstuff pads
Oil/oil filter change
Appreciate 4
      12-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

If interested I have some genuine M performance parts for sale
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
So the first week of ownership has been busy.

It got its first wash
Some things got broken
Some bits got improved

First wash - It took me longer than expected, i need to get used to the bigger car life! Vasco prewash to remove most of the tar, great stuff, Bilt Hamber snow foam on and rinsed off, washed with Meguiars NXT shampoo. Dried off then onto a quick coat of Chemical Guys black light hybrid polish/sealant and then topped off with chemical guys v07 spray sealant . Some Sonax BSD on the wheels and Meguiars tyre gel. That should help keep it a bit cleaner over the winter months that remain and make maintenance washes a bit easier

I knew the front pads were low and small shudder under breaking so i was guessing brake issue or wheel balance issue. I went to a local tyre shop to try rule out a wheel imbalance issue. Absolute idiots couldn't get one of the lock nuts off, i think they went at it with a impact gun and damaged the key. 3 wheels balanced, a damaged lock nut key and a seized damaged lock nut and all bolts over torqued, its booked in for Friday to get all that mess resolved

Improvements - starting off with a few interior bits, factory satnav updated with 2021 maps, Apple car play coded, New steering wheel retrim and coded Alpina instrument cluster dials

Carplay fun:

Old wheel:

New wheel:

Its a little bit thicker than the standard wheel but it really adds a nice touch to the interior, and matches Alpina dials, paired with the blue ambient lighting at nigh time

Maintenance parts en route:

New BMW genuine front discs
brake pad wear sensor
EBC yellowstuff pads
Oil/oil filter change
That's good progress so far

Did you manage to get the locking nut issue sorted?

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey bud

I have a BMW genuine m performance gloss black diffuser for sale if interested.

Thanks
Paul[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's good progress so far

Did you manage to get the locking nut issue sorted?

Thanks, im still in the honeymoon phase so lots to be done!

I got the the seized locknut removed yesterday along with another 3 seized standard bolts by a competent local garage, it was hard to watch as they went at it with sledge hammers and drills and cutting tools, but all was good and no damage to any of the wheels or hubs

I got the Bimmec spacers fitted today, i have to say the 15mm might be a bit too much and since its still standard height it looks a bit weird!

I fitted an m sport style rear spoiler too

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmer View Post
Hey bud

Thanks
Paul[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the offer, how much are you looking for it? i would imagine with shipping and import taxes to Ireland it would work out more expensive since im in Ireland
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #10
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmer View Post
Hey bud

Thanks
Paul[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the offer, how much are you looking for it? i would imagine with shipping and import taxes to Ireland it would work out more expensive since im in Ireland
Hey bud

They sold as two separate parts from BMW which cost me £250 then £200 to have professionally sprayed gloss black they have also been sealed and protected with BMW protect X

They are now surplus to requirements and I am looking for £200 plus shipping
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:33 AM   #11
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Congrats on the new car. Like you say, not many 540s around these parts. I dare say there wouldn’t be many in the US either if they were paying $10 a gallon like we are! Very interesting thread, please keep it coming. Nollaig Shona!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #12
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, im still in the honeymoon phase so lots to be done!

I got the the seized locknut removed yesterday along with another 3 seized standard bolts by a competent local garage, it was hard to watch as they went at it with sledge hammers and drills and cutting tools, but all was good and no damage to any of the wheels or hubs

I got the Bimmec spacers fitted today, i have to say the 15mm might be a bit too much and since its still standard height it looks a bit weird!

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

I fitted an m sport style rear spoiler too

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Glad you got the locking nut issue sorted

I ran 15mm spacers for a little while before having the car lowered - yes it does look a bit weird as you said! Even with 15mm spacers, you're good to lower the car by 30mm at the front with now issues on the OEM 759i wheels.

I had to drop my front spacers to 10mm as the BBS wheels I have poke out 4mm more then the OEM ones and it caused some arch rubbing.

Pics below of how mine looked before lowering on 15mm spacers like yours -
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Congrats on the new car. Like you say, not many 540s around these parts. I dare say there wouldn’t be many in the US either if they were paying $10 a gallon like we are! Very interesting thread, please keep it coming. Nollaig Shona!
Thanks, it was the only one for sale when i was looking apart from a few options up North, I've yet to see one on the road over here.Oone has also popped up since in Galway but they are looking for 70k, its a nice spec but way over priced like most stuff currently!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...sport/29901059

I was filling up at the local petrol station today and there was literally 4 other g30's at the same time,

I'm getting about 600km from a tank which isn't terrible like its about a 65L tank i think. im sure once i remap it etc that will drop significantly!

Nollaig Shona( Happy Christmas in Irish, for those wondering )
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #14
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Glad you got the locking nut issue sorted

I ran 15mm spacers for a little while before having the car lowered - yes it does look a bit weird as you said! Even with 15mm spacers, you're good to lower the car by 30mm at the front with now issues on the OEM 759i wheels.

I had to drop my front spacers to 10mm as the BBS wheels I have poke out 4mm more then the OEM ones and it caused some arch rubbing.

Pics below of how mine looked before lowering on 15mm spacers like yours -

Yes it looks very similar currently! i think the current asymmetric 3 runflats have a very rounded sidewall which adds to the poke, ill probably switch to Michelin PS4S in January, my rears are about 4mm so it will be good to ditch the runflats for a bit more comfort and better performing tyre

I found a supplier in Germany for some H&R springs so i ordered them a few days ago and they arrived today. I wasn't expecting them until after Christmas! I might fit them over the Christmas if im bored, there fronts look easy enough, the rears look a bit more involving in terms of interior trim removal!

I also got the MPeformance style front splitter on too:

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #15
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I eventually found a European stockist of the MST intake, it seems like the best "semi" enclosed intake option available. It was on sale so worth a shot.

fitment is ok, i think mine was missing some rubber strips for the bottom heatshield so the metal is rubbing. Instructions are lacking some key information so it took a bit longer than expected to install

There is only 2 bolts to secure the nottom heatshield. With my fat hands, i had to instal the bolt from below and secure on top with washer and nut

Look at that sound deadening on the air filter!

and that sound killing resonator!

Install picss

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:15 PM   #16
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I eventually found a European stockist of the MST intake, it seems like the best "semi" enclosed intake option available. It was on sale so worth a shot.

fitment is ok, I think mine was missing some rubber strips for the bottom heatshield so the metal is rubbing. Instructions are lacking some key information so it took a bit longer than expected to install

There is only 2 bolts to secure the bottom heatshield. With my fat hands, i had to install the bolt from below and secure on top with washer and nut

Look at that sound deadening on the air filter!
Final install looks good mate!

I am glad that you did yours first! This will help me alot - thank you.

I've read the instructions it came with a few times and they do seem a little vague. I did anticipate that I will come across a few issues.

You mentioned - Instructions are lacking some key information

Any words of wisdom?

I have just looked at my bottom heatshield and it looks like it doesn't come with a rubber edge/strip (Pic below)

When it came to the front end strut brace/bar - did you re-use the screws that you undid? I read somewhere that the advice was to use new ones and torque them back up to spec (Image below). This is one of the reasons why I haven't done mine yet as I'm trying to find out. I guess if the bolts are not stretched then they could be reused...

I did go to my local dealer parts dept this morning but they couldn't help. They could also only find the part number for the Hex bolt and not the E-Torx bolt.

How does it sound? Can't wait to get mine done.

Your car is coming along nicely! What's next??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #17
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Final install looks good mate!

I am glad that you did yours first! This will help me alot - thank you.

I've read the instructions it came with a few times and they do seem a little vague. I did anticipate that I will come across a few issues.

You mentioned - Instructions are lacking some key information

Any words of wisdom?

I have just looked at my bottom heatshield and it looks like it doesn't come with a rubber edge/strip (Pic below)

When it came to the front end strut brace/bar - did you re-use the screws that you undid? I read somewhere that the advice was to use new ones and torque them back up to spec (Image below). This is one of the reasons why I haven't done mine yet as I'm trying to find out. I guess if the bolts are not stretched then they could be reused...

I did go to my local dealer parts dept this morning but they couldn't help. They could also only find the part number for the Hex bolt and not the E-Torx bolt.

How does it sound? Can't wait to get mine done.

Your car is coming along nicely! What's next??

In terms of sound, its mostly noticeable at low speed coming on boost, lots of whooshes and boos and choos! You cant hear it too much with the window closed or once you get up to speed, my car is still standard apart from this so im sure it will get louder with sports cat.

It probably took about 2 hours in total that was taking my time and also cleaning around the area underneath the factory airbox.

As for the strut brace bolts i reused them, ill order replacements the next time im doing an order, they are fairly chunk bolts so ok to re-use i think

Pain points from removal:
The rubber intake pipe was stuck to turbo inlet at the bottom due to heat cycles so just have a sturdy right angled plastic trim tool to hand to get the seal broken apart and then twist if off the hard plastic turbo inlet pipe section

Install pain points:

The bottom heatshield needs to sit into the intake snorkel that the factory airbox sits into, the heatshield should then align with the 2 mounting points once it in the right position

There is only 2 bolts that secure the bottom heatshield section to the car. The top one uses the large M8 bolt, 2 washers and the nut. My fat hands could not contort properly to get the bolt going downwards with one hand while balancing the other washer and nut on the underside, my advice there is to push the bolt with washer up from below and secure the nut and washer on top.

As for the rubber heatshield strips, my bottom heatshield only came with that on the curved back section, and around the hole the pipe slides though it probably should have come installed on all edges, you can see it on at least 2 edges in the install guide. Maybe get some more before you install it so it doesn't rub off any hard surfaces.

For the bottom bolt, remove the bottom orange grommet and push the thread extender up through it, with the flared section on the bottom holding it in place, i broke this plastic mount trying to remove it so just pull out the rubber bit and leave the black plastic in the chassis leg.

The top lid with the logo seems to make a bit of contact on the wing at the corner, i think a bit of foam on the underside of the lid there will help stop any contact or vibration there and maybe some foam strips for any other sections you want to seal up a bit better, the heatshield still leave a lot of gaps

For tightening the air filter to the intake pipe, i left the tightening bolt section of the jubliee clip on the outside of the heatshield as i couldn't get things lined up right with that clip inside the heatshield, i might re align things if i can

That's about all i can remember that was lacking from the guide

Up next this month is boring maintenance items:
Front discs(Genuine BMW ones)
EBC yellow stuff front pads(MIA with UPS currentl)
Brake fluid change by main dealer(keep that full service history!)
Interim oil/oil filter change with Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 and BMW filter to get ready for remap stuff

I need to order new tyres to probably Michelin MPS4S and fir H&R springs too, the parts are starting to pile up!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #18
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In terms of sound, its mostly noticeable at low speed coming on boost, lots of whooshes and boos and choos! You cant hear it too much with the window closed or once you get up to speed, my car is still standard apart from this so im sure it will get louder with sports cat.

It probably took about 2 hours in total that was taking my time and also cleaning around the area underneath the factory airbox.

As for the strut brace bolts i reused them, ill order replacements the next time im doing an order, they are fairly chunk bolts so ok to re-use i think

Pain points from removal:
The rubber intake pipe was stuck to turbo inlet at the bottom due to heat cycles so just have a sturdy right angled plastic trim tool to hand to get the seal broken apart and then twist if off the hard plastic turbo inlet pipe section

Install pain points:

The bottom heatshield needs to sit into the intake snorkel that the factory airbox sits into, the heatshield should then align with the 2 mounting points once it in the right position

There is only 2 bolts that secure the bottom heatshield section to the car. The top one uses the large M8 bolt, 2 washers and the nut. My fat hands could not contort properly to get the bolt going downwards with one hand while balancing the other washer and nut on the underside, my advice there is to push the bolt with washer up from below and secure the nut and washer on top.

As for the rubber heatshield strips, my bottom heatshield only came with that on the curved back section, and around the hole the pipe slides though it probably should have come installed on all edges, you can see it on at least 2 edges in the install guide. Maybe get some more before you install it so it doesn't rub off any hard surfaces.

For the bottom bolt, remove the bottom orange grommet and push the thread extender up through it, with the flared section on the bottom holding it in place, i broke this plastic mount trying to remove it so just pull out the rubber bit and leave the black plastic in the chassis leg.

The top lid with the logo seems to make a bit of contact on the wing at the corner, i think a bit of foam on the underside of the lid there will help stop any contact or vibration there and maybe some foam strips for any other sections you want to seal up a bit better, the heatshield still leave a lot of gaps

For tightening the air filter to the intake pipe, i left the tightening bolt section of the jubliee clip on the outside of the heatshield as i couldn't get things lined up right with that clip inside the heatshield, i might re align things if i can

That's about all i can remember that was lacking from the guide

Up next this month is boring maintenance items:
Front discs(Genuine BMW ones)
EBC yellow stuff front pads(MIA with UPS currentl)
Brake fluid change by main dealer(keep that full service history!)
Interim oil/oil filter change with Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 and BMW filter to get ready for remap stuff

I need to order new tyres to probably Michelin MPS4S and fir H&R springs too, the parts are starting to pile up!
Thank you for this much appreciated - It will help me a lot! I will report back once I've done mine.

I found the part numbers for the bolts -

51716966566 - (This Hex bolt has replaced the e-torx bolt by the looks of it)

07149390155 (Hex bolt near the front grill and radiator)

I wasn't sure where the thread extender would go but from your pics, it's very clear now

It's good that you're getting all the maintenance work done now, before the power mods!

As for the tyres, I think you'll be very happy with the PS4S - I'm curently back on my OEM wheels and Good Year AS3 tyres - Michelin drive and feel so much better.

Thanks again for the pics and pointers

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:44 AM   #19
it3_Magic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D M-sport

Garage List
2017 BMW G30  [0.00]
Some tasty mods so far, good to see you on the forum mate

- Maciek from MCoding in Clonmel
Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      01-20-2022, 03:37 PM   #20
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got some boring maintenance items done over the last few weeks

Front disc and pads

Interim oil and oil filter

When you get a b58 oil filer out in one piece, no better feeling!

Turns out i also have a detachable towbar system, i found it under the passenger seat and bought a small bike rack for my mountain bike adventures

This week i decided to go for the MHD stage 1 and XHP stage 2

I have a Dragy and did a few pulls before the remap and best i could manage was 4.76

Which seems like standard times

I tried again today once the XHP run in mileage was hit and managed a 4.48 on a wet, mucky road near work, all 4 wheels spinning up to 90kmh small improvement but ill try again when its dryer out!

Finally the B58 has been awoken on this 540i, its a nice subtle bump in power and torque, the MST intake sounds louder now too and the car just gets through the gears quicker with the XHP too.

I also got some gloss black badges, i just need to decide which to go for

Ive new tyres ordered, gloss black rear diffuser on the way and trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on Remus axle back or not
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      01-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #21
G30 545e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 545e G30

Quote:
Thanks, it was the only one for sale when i was looking apart from a few options up North, I've yet to see one on the road over here.Oone has also popped up since in Galway but they are looking for 70k, its a nice spec but way over priced like most stuff currently!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...sport/29901059

I was filling up at the local petrol station today and there was literally 4 other g30's at the same time,

I'm getting about 600km from a tank which isn't terrible like its about a 65L tank i think. im sure once i remap it etc that will drop significantly!

Nollaig Shona( Happy Christmas in Irish, for those wondering )
That's my old 540i. Christ they are looking for 7k more than what I paid in total for it back in August 2019.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #22
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 545e View Post
That's my old 540i. Christ they are looking for 7k more than what I paid in total for it back in August 2019.

Thats mad! i paid nowhere near that for mine, What are you driving now? 545e?
Appreciate 0