BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions M550i xDrive leather dash

01-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #45
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_T View Post
Sorry I'm a little late to this too, but I have the Sensatec Dash with Dakota Leather non-ventilated seats.

I went with Dakota because I read it requires less maintenance. I went with non-ventilated seats because I didn't like the pinhole look, plus I never felt the ventilation in any car I've been in.

Both the dashboard and Dakota leather looks the same to me (can't tell the they are different). As for the dash, I forget that it is not real leather. Hopefully it holds up long term.

Attached are some pics of my setup.
No offense, but that last picture really reinforces how much better leather looks on the dash. Between the dimples and the fake looking stitching, it looks like a normal dash. This is mine, just a stock photo from the dealers site before I bought the car. You can see the trim around the bottom of the climate control which is not leather and dimpled, like your Sensatec, and the dash which is smooth and the stitching looks real.
Attached Images

Last edited by Joe-BMW33; 01-03-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
H_T149.50
DNYC1919478.00
Germanauto9698.00
      01-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #46
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Sorry I'm a little late to this too, but I have the Sensatec Dash with Dakota Leather non-ventilated seats.

I went with Dakota because I read it requires less maintenance. I went with non-ventilated seats because I didn't like the pinhole look, plus I never felt the ventilation in any car I've been in.

Both the dashboard and Dakota leather looks the same to me (can't tell the they are different). As for the dash, I forget that it is not real leather. Hopefully it holds up long term.

No offense, but that last picture really reinforces how much better leather looks on the dash. Between the dimples and the fake looking stitching, it looks like a normal dash. This is mine, just a stock photo from the dealers site before I bought the car. You can see the trim around the bottom of the climate control which is not leather and dimpled, like your Sensatec, and the dash which is smooth and the stitching looks real.
No offense taken.

In general, I was looking at a 540, but made my budget work with the m550 and was glad I took the step to get the extra horsepower. For me I don't even notice the differences in the dash, but understand why people do the upgrade.
Appreciate 2
Joe-BMW337187.50
DNYC1919478.00
      01-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #47
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Dakota is pebbled like Sensatec. While I went with the leather dash on my car, I did so because I also went with the Nappa upholstery. If you are going with Dakota upholstery, I actually think the Sensatec dashboard is a better match. But there is no comparison to the Nappa/Merino with leather dash combo.
Appreciate 1
H_T149.50
      01-04-2022, 02:31 PM   #48
cclcal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, H Palisade, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Even though (as my fellow f06/f12/f13 6 series owner Opie55 mentioned) the leather dash option is actually an "engineered" leather used at the top of the door panels, the dash, the center armrest, and the map pockets on the rear of front seats...it still feels and looks better (to most) than the Dakota/Vernasca/Sensatic.

And if memory serves me correct...the 4 locations mentioned above applies to Nappa leather interior option. If you option for the Dakota/Vernasca leather...there's a few more locations that have "artificial leather"...but if you upgrade to Merino leather...the top of the doors & dash get WalkNappa leather...and artificial leather on the center armrest and map pockets.

Another thing to consider is...the use of engineered/artificial leather at the top of the door panels and the dash may be a good thing. The engineered leather probably holds up better in those locations which will get a lot of abuse over time...especially from sun/rain/body perspiration/body oils/etc.

Another tip for leather interiors (especially Nappa & Merino leather) is to keep it clean of dust/dirt/grime by wiping it down with a damp cloth (simple H20 is fine). Dirt/dust/grime can be the enemy of a leather interior in that it abrades the leather as you enter/exit the vehicle or move things across its surface. Wiping the dust off weekly or bi-weekly with a damp microfiber towel/rag can go a long way in keeping up the leather's appearance along with your regular/traditional leather conditioning/cleaning rituals.
I do have the Merino leather option. You are saying the dash and top of doors is NOT merino leather? Armrests is not even leather?
How about the glove compartment?
Ive been treating all as merino leather, feels like the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #49
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclcal View Post
Quote:
Even though (as my fellow f06/f12/f13 6 series owner Opie55 mentioned) the leather dash option is actually an "engineered" leather used at the top of the door panels, the dash, the center armrest, and the map pockets on the rear of front seats...it still feels and looks better (to most) than the Dakota/Vernasca/Sensatic.

And if memory serves me correct...the 4 locations mentioned above applies to Nappa leather interior option. If you option for the Dakota/Vernasca leather...there's a few more locations that have "artificial leather"...but if you upgrade to Merino leather...the top of the doors & dash get WalkNappa leather...and artificial leather on the center armrest and map pockets.

Another thing to consider is...the use of engineered/artificial leather at the top of the door panels and the dash may be a good thing. The engineered leather probably holds up better in those locations which will get a lot of abuse over time...especially from sun/rain/body perspiration/body oils/etc.

Another tip for leather interiors (especially Nappa & Merino leather) is to keep it clean of dust/dirt/grime by wiping it down with a damp cloth (simple H20 is fine). Dirt/dust/grime can be the enemy of a leather interior in that it abrades the leather as you enter/exit the vehicle or move things across its surface. Wiping the dust off weekly or bi-weekly with a damp microfiber towel/rag can go a long way in keeping up the leather's appearance along with your regular/traditional leather conditioning/cleaning rituals.
I do have the Merino leather option. You are saying the dash and top of doors is NOT merino leather? Armrests is not even leather?
I bought my CPO M550 with the leather dash option. I was shopping used so I had to take what I could find - and found most M550's do NOT have the leather dash. I test drove two cars that did - I ended up buying one that DID. In my shopping - and looking at cars (sometimes hours apart) that had leather vs NO leather - there is no question the leather dash looks better/richer. Although had I ended up with a car with sensatec I would not have been that upset. I was ordering my car - I would absolutely order leather. I would also try to order Alcantara headliner if you can. My car had that as well - and the combo with the leather looks very sporty. If you check off every box it starts to get expensive quickly - so if you are dead set on other options and had to cut something out - the dash would be something you can live without. If you can afford it - get it. You see it every time you get in the car.

Another option I absolutely love is the driving assistance pro. I only use it in heavy traffic, but I commute in it daily - and it is so great. Push a couple of buttons and the car will practically drive itself. Heated steering wheel is also nice if you live where it is cold. I am in so cal - so it's not really "cold" - but in December we are near freezing in the AM where i live, and nothing beats hoping into my car on a cold AM, and having my seats AND steering wheel warm up. I have seat massagers as well - love those! Good luck!

Also - if you opt for the leather dash option, I believe that also gets you real leather on the tops of the door sills.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      01-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #50
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I bought my CPO M550 with the leather dash option. I was shopping used so I had to take what I could find - and found most M550's do NOT have the leather dash. I test drove two cars that did - I ended up buying one that DID. In my shopping - and looking at cars (sometimes hours apart) that had leather vs NO leather - there is no question the leather dash looks better/richer. Although had I ended up with a car with sensatec I would not have been that upset. I was ordering my car - I would absolutely order leather. I would also try to order Alcantara headliner if you can. My car had that as well - and the combo with the leather looks very sporty. If you check off every box it starts to get expensive quickly - so if you are dead set on other options and had to cut something out - the dash would be something you can live without. If you can afford it - get it. You see it every time you get in the car.

Another option I absolutely love is the driving assistance pro. I only use it in heavy traffic, but I commute in it daily - and it is so great. Push a couple of buttons and the car will practically drive itself. Heated steering wheel is also nice if you live where it is cold. I am in so cal - so it's not really "cold" - but in December we are near freezing in the AM where i live, and nothing beats hoping into my car on a cold AM, and having my seats AND steering wheel warm up. I have seat massagers as well - love those! Good luck!

Also - if you opt for the leather dash option, I believe that also gets you real leather on the tops of the door sills.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sounds like we have the same car. I couldn't agree more on leather dash, alcantara and driving assistant while commuting home at night in stop and go.
      01-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #51
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

He is saying that the extended leather option is Napa on all cars optioned with extended leather regardless of whether you have Napa or merino. This makes sense to me. BMW is not going to have different door cards and dashes to go along with the seats. They also don't claim to match the seats when selecting the option. Just says "leather dash " or "extended leather " I can't remember.
cclcal46.00
      01-04-2022, 07:31 PM   #52
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Your upper door & instrument cluster is WalkNappa…so I’d continue the same maintenance.

If the BMW PDF is to be believed…it listed the interior material used with the Dakota, Nappa, and extended Merino leathers. Hopefully you can expand the image (like if you’re on a tablet) because I had to shrink the image to get all of the info on one page).

Again, the PDF reveals that each leather type (Dak/Nap/Mer) each uses the artificial leather or WalkNappa leather in places that appear to be high wear or high abuse areas. The Dakota/Vernasca uses it in 7 locations…the Nappa uses it in 5 locations, and the Merino uses WalkNappa instead of artificial leather in 2 locations.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
cclcal46.00
      01-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #53
cclcal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i, H Palisade, Tesla 3

ah...thats some detailed info.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #54
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

What's the difference between nappa and walknappa? I guess walknappa is 'engineered nappa' that was mentioned previously and somewhat different(more durable) than regular nappa.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #55
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
What's the difference between nappa and walknappa? I guess walknappa is 'engineered nappa' that was mentioned previously and somewhat different(more durable) than regular nappa.
I don't know for certain if it is "engineered" leather in todays BMWs or not...but it is a "leather" material (in name) BMW has used for decades. I remember the e24/e31/e32 era BMWs having WalkNappa as a leather interior. WalkNappa (back then) was like today's Merino in that it was a very soft and smooth grained leather.

Again, if you go to the online part database sites and look at the seat material for the e24 (6 sereis), e31 (8 series), or e32 (7 series)...you will see WalkNappa listed.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #56
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
I don't know for certain if it is "engineered" leather in todays BMWs or not...but it is a "leather" material (in name) BMW has used for decades. I remember the e24/e31/e32 era BMWs having WalkNappa as a leather interior. WalkNappa (back then) was like today's Merino in that it was a very soft and smooth grained leather.

Again, if you go to the online part database sites and look at the seat material for the e24 (6 sereis), e31 (8 series), or e32 (7 series)...you will see WalkNappa listed.
Prior to your posting this I never heard the term "walknappa." Despite the stupid name, it appears that walknappa is just a BMW term for actual nappa. Your chart makes sense that way. If you have nappa seats and get extended leather, your dash and door tops are "artificial" leather, as are mine. But if you have merino seats and get extended leather, your dash is nappa. According to your chart my door armrests and large door center section are nappa, which is presumably what is used on the dash and door tops of cars with merino seats. .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #57
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cero View Post
I think Walknappa is just BMW speak for Nappa.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:58 AM   #58
r1cero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d g30

It makes sense but this pdf confused me as it it has 'walknappa' and 'exclusive leather nappa' listed but it may not mean anything.

It's interesting that in europe merino option on non-m5s is almost non-existent, only one example on mobile.de(biggest used car site in germany).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:32 PM   #59
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Sensatec looks nicer than injected molded plastic, but it's still clearly not leather. Nothing matches the beautiful look and feel of real leather. Well worth the cost, but I doubt dealers option much inventory with that option.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #60
640ibimmerguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Wife new X7 has merino seats bit senstec dash, my M550 has merino with leather dash and I definitely prefer the leather dash. Like someone else mentioned you get additional leather on the doors as well. Totally worth it to me.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337187.50
      01-13-2022, 09:42 PM   #61
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ibimmerguy View Post
Wife new X7 has merino seats bit senstec dash, my M550 has merino with leather dash and I definitely prefer the leather dash. Like someone else mentioned you get additional leather on the doors as well. Totally worth it to me.
The leather dash is worth it if you can get it. If I was buying a new car it's a no brainer to add to your build. It's worth the extra money.

If you're buying used and everything else on the car is perfect I would not pass up the car because it lacks this option.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:27 AM   #62
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Those last two pics of the 6 series are not what you say. Both are identical "leather" dashes, but one is an individual interior where the "leather" extends to the glove box, etc. The "fake" dash in a 6 is easy to spot both because it has a pebble grain, and because the SRS letters are raised up and not stamped in. Not sure why we are talking about the 6 in a 5 forum, but anyway ....
Thanks for catching my pic upload mistake back in post #36…I corrected that last image to show the artificial leather dash. Indeed, both 6 series dashes I had uploaded where leather dashes (the 1st being the extended leather Cohiba/Canyon Brown Merino leather). But I have corrected the 2nd image that shows the more “pebbled” imitation leather that has the raised SRS lettering.

BTW, the reason I originally posted those images were just to show examples of leather vs non leather dashes.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #63
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Prior to your posting this I never heard the term "walknappa." Despite the stupid name, it appears that walknappa is just a BMW term for actual nappa. Your chart makes sense that way. If you have nappa seats and get extended leather, your dash and door tops are "artificial" leather, as are mine. But if you have merino seats and get extended leather, your dash is nappa. According to your chart my door armrests and large door center section are nappa, which is presumably what is used on the dash and door tops of cars with merino seats. .
To Opie55 and all…I’m going to redress the chart I posted after thinking about it and looking at more pics and option codes. After looking at some BMWs that had the Nappa leather seat option…but DID NOT have the option code 4ND Instrument Panel With Leather Finish…the chart appears to be correct in regard to Nappa leather having artificial door tops, dash, top of center armrest, and map pockets. The material has the larger pebble-grained appearance…and the SRS on the artificial leather is in raised lettering.

This would also make the 4ND Instrument Panel with leather finish truthful in wording and in appearance. When you see BMWs with this option, the leather material on the door tops, dash, and top center armrest has the same smooth finish as the Nappa seats (and similarly to the WalkNappa used with the extended Merino leather option)

Below are examples of a f06 with Nappa leather seats but DID NOT have the 4ND leather dash option (I verified by running the VIN through a decoder)… and you can clearly see that door tops, dash, and center armrest are not covered in the smooth Nappa…but a very grainy material that according to the chart would be artificial leather. And you can also see that the center door panel (unlike the top panel) is covered in Nappa as the chart indicates.

So those with Nappa interior AND the 4ND leather dash option…those items on the chart that say artificial leather (except for the map pockets) are more than likely covered in Nappa as the 4ND option code indicates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #64
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
All you ever wanted to know about the extended leather options, maybe too much lol, but I'm thoroughly confused or misunderstanding. I have Nappa and I have the extended leather dash option. My dash and doors are not "pebbled". Far from it. I looks, feels and smells like leather and is smooth.

Whatever the answer is, per the OP's original question, people that have it think highly of it and consider it leather.
      01-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #65
G35c6MT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i5 M60

Leather dash and alcantara headliner are worthy upgrades and really transform the interior. I also have the piano black dash but it's a dust and fingerprint magnet. Had the car not come with it I would've picked something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:17 PM   #66
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35c6MT View Post
Leather dash and alcantara headliner are worthy upgrades and really transform the interior. I also have the piano black dash but it's a dust and fingerprint magnet. Had the car not come with it I would've picked something else.
Same here. Stunning interior.