BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions HELP!!

01-16-2022, 09:58 PM   #23
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

That metal your calling the subframe is actually your floor panel.

If that is punctured you probably have a hole pushing up under the seat or under the carpet somewhere. Have a look.

Also it's a huge job to replace a floor panel requires seat out, trim off, carpets up, cut out panel, weld in new. Simple on classic cars but a big effort on modern vehicles.

Also note there is wiring in there, seat rails and a sub speaker under the seat.

Your lucky this wasn't worse or something could have pierced up under your seat.

QUOTE=I3LaZeN;28476013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Don't think he has a firewall gash, the panels on the underside are solid plastic and a fibre board material, its likely the fibre board was torn. (Hope so)

If the firewall is damaged in engine bay and along fuel/exhaust tunnel/tank area it'll be a write off as no viable way to repair that.

Item 13 is the DSC unit is low down not in the bay so helpfully no firewall damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Don't think he has a firewall gash, the panels on the underside are solid plastic and a fibre board material, its likely the fibre board was torn. (Hope so)

If the firewall is damaged in engine bay and along fuel/exhaust tunnel/tank area it'll be a write off as no viable way to repair that.

Item 13 is the DSC unit is low down not in the bay so helpfully no firewall damage.
Yea I used the wrong word.. not firewall.

Thank you for this image. I'm pretty positive it was #13 that got smashed as the first hole in the board is behind the front driver tire.

The 2nd hole is a little behind that, going towards the rear of the vehicle and its broken thru thru fibre board you mentioned as well as the metal which I'm calling subframe. Ill try to get some pics this week of the damage and will share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Sounds like you may have driven over something that came off or out of that overturned truck.
Thats exactly what I'm assuming. I have dash cam footage that I keep looking at and I dont see it at all and I have a front lip on my car which wasnt touched at all. I'm assuming it cleared my front lip, and when as soon as my front driver tire hit it, it turned and smashed the underneath part. However, I still dont see it in the dash cam footage, then again it was dark.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 1
I3LaZeN504.50
      01-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #24
thecooltype
drive to survive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Dont get your hopes up on this one if it was a pothole. I went directly to the Town DPW where I hit the pothole and spoke with the Director. The only way the Town/City will pay for any damages is if the pothole was previously reported to DPW and they did not repair it. The only other option is to go through Insurance for a claim.
I agree...i turned a corner one time and hit a helluva pothole... Needed turbo repair. Before taking it to the dealer and making use of my 3rd party warranty I sent a letter to the necessary city department and they responded to say that they did not have on record a notification of the pothole... If they did and not fixed it then yes they would be liable
Appreciate 0