BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions DIY: Hardwiring a dash cam and radar detector

04-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #45
mgorman87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I did mirror tap as well following the YouTube video. Was a bit of a pita to get the tap in, but I did it. Comes on when you unlock the car and turns off after you get out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #46
clkman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 550I

Hey Y'all.

Yesterday I was morrow tapping my radar detector going into the connector on the black and white and brown and red wires. Had it working but switched to a color matching cable from amazon and discovered the pins were a little bit short.
Aster altering the length of the pins the radar detector would not turn off once the car shutoff and locked.

Does anyone know any reason that would cause this?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #47
krunchyfu
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 M550i Carbon Black

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this. Your post helped me install a dashcam in my G30.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:29 AM   #48
M3Joe
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Cover the IR emitter at the back of the ceiling front light complex with tape and then you do not have any of the laser falses. It is the 1 x 3 inch clear sense that points down and forward. Who really uses gesture control anyway? Black electrical or, better yet, gaffer's tape works well and is unobtrusive.

For Valentine users, Savvy will set off the car alarm in BMWs from the about 2013 on. I had 2013 and 2016 750s and both were incompatible. It works fine with my 2012 M3.

Joe
Appreciate 2
admranger2981.50
540iSUP703.00
      01-18-2022, 09:21 PM   #49
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkman View Post
Hey Y'all.

Yesterday I was morrow tapping my radar detector going into the connector on the black and white and brown and red wires. Had it working but switched to a color matching cable from amazon and discovered the pins were a little bit short.
Aster altering the length of the pins the radar detector would not turn off once the car shutoff and locked.

Does anyone know any reason that would cause this?
Did the car go to sleep? If not, you may have inadvertently pinned the wrong power wire. Happens.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:11 AM   #50
liuml07
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i 2023

Anyone followed this for 2022 / 2023 M550i? I’ll try it out soon and will update here. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 06:41 AM   #51
Sully57
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530D xDrive (17)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have joined to get some help on a few stressful things.

I have a UK G31 530d xDrive 2017.

I have modified my front headlights and installed RGB angel eyes. They have 3 wires. red for +, black for - and white for ignition.

I would like the lights to turn on when unlocking the car, id like them to stay on whilst the car is running and finally turn off after a few minutes when I lock the car and walk away.

What fuse is suitable in the front drivers side footwell fuse box. I believe it is the Z44 fuse panel and I assumed f59 and f50 used for dashcam is maybe similar to what I want.

I am also unsure if i would need to tap into 2 fuses, if the red cable is connected to positive on the battery wouldn’t it stay on always?

Appreciate everyone’s help,

Sully
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:38 PM   #52
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully57 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and have joined to get some help on a few stressful things.

I have a UK G31 530d xDrive 2017.

I have modified my front headlights and installed RGB angel eyes. They have 3 wires. red for +, black for - and white for ignition.

I would like the lights to turn on when unlocking the car, id like them to stay on whilst the car is running and finally turn off after a few minutes when I lock the car and walk away.

What fuse is suitable in the front drivers side footwell fuse box. I believe it is the Z44 fuse panel and I assumed f59 and f50 used for dashcam is maybe similar to what I want.

I am also unsure if i would need to tap into 2 fuses, if the red cable is connected to positive on the battery wouldn’t it stay on always?

Appreciate everyone’s help,

Sully
Welcome to the forum! I did this for a dashcam a while back, but I don't remember the fuse number and that particular car is gone, so I can't look now. You should be able to find a circuit, either by reading the schematic or simply trial and error, which is what I did. Look for something related to the radio or perhaps the power seats, which I think is what I did and it worked like you described, although perhaps shuts off once you lock the car.

I suspect, although just guessing, that the red is your power and the white is the "trigger" that actually turns the light on and off. So yes, the red would be wired directly (with fuse) to the battery positive, and the white to a switched source in the fuse box. The instructions should explain that.

Good luck!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #53
theWag
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

Front Right Fuse Panel - Perm +ve AND switched +ve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
I thought I'd add some information that I was struggling to find after a lot of unsuccessful searching but ended up having to figure it out myself.

I have a 2019 M550i G30, I picked up a blackvue DR900S-2CH and a Power Magic Pro as well as the fuse harness kit from the dashcam store.

I've determined that if you want park mode, you CANNOT wire to the front passenger fuse box, it has no BATT+ (yellow cable) supply that stays on, the entire fuse box shuts off after 5 minutes... You can only use this box if you don't want park mode.

I thought the rear fuse box was going to be a big pain, but it wasn't difficult at all, actually it's easier than front box since there's more room and you don't have to be upside-down and contorted to work on the box. I used F273 for my ACC+ which turns off after 5 minutes. I used F230 for my always-on BATT+ line. There's also a ground point right there that takes 10mm socket. I found it easiest to completely remove the screw, then strip the ground wire for 2 inches, wrap it around the screw, then put it back together and tighten. there's also a great spot in the right to stick the magic power box, I then bundled everything up, used electrical tape to keep it together, as well as tape the cigarette adapter to the magic pro end so there's no chance of it slipping out (it's not super-tight on it's own). there's plenty of room to put this wire bundle to the left and below the fuse box and I was back together in short-time.

I ran power along passenger side and the rear camera cable on drivers side - took all of 20 minutes to cleanly route both, the included tool was perfect. there's lots of room for one cable, but 2 cables is a bit much on the same side.

So the short of it - If you want park mode, save yourself an hour of screwing around with the front box or searching the web - it doesn't work. just go straight to the rear fuse panel.

One other thing - I expected the Power Magic pro's light to turn on at some point while I was wiring things up, it DOES NOT!. I wasted a lot of time and thought my box was bad. you figure with electric going to the box, it should light up right? NOPE! it only lights up after everything is connected and then you turn the car on for the first time... there must be something in the box that kills it until it gets power on both BATT+ & ACC+ and then from there on out the LED works fine all the time.

A second thought - the rear fuse panel has a paper card folded up there showing all your fuses.. if you need a new one of those go to https://www.bmw.com/fusecard to download the one specifically for your car. just plug your VIN in

Final thought - the fuse panel has no spare empty fuse spots. you'll see what appears to be empty slots, but if you look closer you can't actually put a fuse there since it's missing the underlying fuse receptacle on the board. you must use a piggyback fuse (or whatever they are called)
Useful post but beg to differ re: front fuse panel Z44 (UK offside front) and permanent feed from my 2018 UK G30 perspective.... F20 was empty but powered - turns out it is permanently powered because long after the car had powered down (including the cigarette / aux socket powering down), this point was still +12V. Instead, I moved along to F50 (cigarette / aux) and jobs a good 'un.

Also, spent ages trying to find grounding point - on the UK RHD G30 there is a small storage compartment for sunglasses - 2 T25 torx screws sees this removed exposing the area above the OBD socket and an easily accessible grounding point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0