BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads DIY Easy Body Tweaks to M550

01-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
dono42
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

DIY Easy Body Tweaks to M550

So first time posting, and first time ever trying to modify one of my vehicles by myself. I purchased a CPO 2019 black M550i a few weeks ago, and immediately fell in love like I have never fallen in love with a vehicle before. But personal preference, I was not a fan of the gray/silver trim in a few places on the body, and HATE the rear diffuser, so I went down some rabbit holes on this forum and elsewhere to see if I could pay for a few changes/make any myself. This thread is a quick attempt to share my experience and the (fairly inexpensive) changes I was able to make myself.

Before and after pictures attached, but for $436 I was able to order/self-install the following modifications:

-1. $306: AutoTecknic CF Front Bumper Trim (https://emnotek.com/collections/5-se...series-m-sport)

-2. $35: EZ Lip Spoiler (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
The EZ spoiler (and side skirts below) are purely preference; some may opt to pony up for CF/other skirts and lips, aftermarket or OEM, instead of the "cheap rubber look" of "EZ" products. IMO, I took a stab because I wanted to see how the rubber looked before spending more, and I ended up loving how it looks with the EZ products.

-3. $70: EZ Side Skirts (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

-4. $25: CF Style Side WIng Air Vent Trim Cover (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Also personal preference on this one; it was a super cheap cover that goes over the existing vent trim cover with 2-sided tape. Probably should have paid for the real replacement part, but I honestly can't tell the difference and so far the cheap tape-on looks great and holds perfectly

The only tricky thing to install from this whole lot was the Autotecknic bumper trim (the "eyebrows", as I call them). There was a thread on this forum that really helped me figure it out; if anyone is interested I can find and post the link. Also, I spent around $300 to get 35% tints on all windows installed except windshield (obvi would not suggest doing tints yourself; pay for them if you want them lol).

Lastly, for the rear diffuser, after a ton of research and a couple failed Ebay orders that ended up not fitting properly, I ended up buying the OEM CF diffuser from BMW (BMW M PERFORMANCE CARBON FIBER REAR DIFFUSER) for $1,670. I haven't received or installed yet, but I WAS able to take the diffuser off myself when trying on the failed Ebay orders (it's literally just a few screws and a tug) so I'm hopeful I'll be able to install that piece myself. I didn't include that part on my "cheap" build here, but if anyone is interested I can post the final picture once it's installed.

Cheers; let me know what you think, or if you have any questions!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
RogueAI104.00
PAL51620.50
      01-12-2021, 12:57 AM   #2
Scotty B
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 M550

Looks good. I have the exact same spec but I kept the cerium pieces minus grill. Need to get IND painted front reflectors now.

Last edited by Scotty B; 01-12-2021 at 01:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:36 AM   #3
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Looks good. Was the front lip easy to attach?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
BolomM550i
BolomM550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Looking good man!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
dono42
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
Looks good. Was the front lip easy to attach?
Super easy, really only need to clean the area where it attaches underneath (properly, not just water), and have access to a hair dryer. Go slow, start at one end, and unwrap + heat the tape as you attach inch-by-inch.
Appreciate 1
RogueAI104.00
      01-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
dono42
Registered
Rep

Finally finished the BMW OEM M Performance rear diffuser, pics below. Was able to install myself (with zero experience doing anything like this before), although it took a few hours. There are a couple threads on this forum that were super helpful (including one that had the install instructions for technicians, as the parts do NOT come with any sort of instructions), so if anyone else is trying to do this ping me and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Also should note that the shopBMWusa website is VERY misleading around this diffuser. There are 2 parts that you need (the black matte bumper trim, and then the carbon fiber diffuser), but on the website the CF diffuser title (link below) says it includes both of them. It does not, and you need to order both parts. I recommend going to the "parts" department of your local dealership, as they can get you sorted.

Last thing - the 2 parts cost a lot ($1,670 and $705 USD), but it was worth it for me. And by going through the parts department, they saved me $600 so I only paid $1,770 for everything I needed.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/5...AR-BUMPER-TRIM

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/1...M,-MATTE-BLACK
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-07-2021, 04:35 AM   #7
MyName_IsInUse
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i

That rear diffuser looks great! Love what you did with the car ��
Appreciate 0