BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications G30 M550i Dinan Elite V2 Tune

05-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
akashkotecha
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, G30 M550i, F10 550i

G30 M550i Dinan Elite V2 Tune

Hey all,

I have a 2018 M550i and I got the Dinan X pipe installed some time back and I love it so far.

This is what it sounds like right now:

I recently just bought the Dinan D440-0123 V2 tune and its being installed this week. I am also getting the spark plugs changed to NGK iridium spark plus at the same time when the chip is installed.

Does anybody have any experiences with such a set up? How do you like it so far? What can i expect? Does the tune change the sound of the car in any way?

Im not sure what to expect as ive never really changed anything in my previous BMWs.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #2
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

The dinan tune just came in and will be installed today along with the NGK spark plugs!

Looking forward to see how it drives after.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Hey all,

I would appreciate any help.

I just got the tune installed and i got a fresh oil change along with it as well as NGK iridium spark plugs.

I feel as if the car still has good power but I'm not sure I'm noticing much of a difference, I infact feel like its a little more sluggish.

The tune was installed at an authorized dinan dealer. I'm not sure if the issue Is with the tune or it if it's to do with the spark plugs and gapping them?

I would appreciate any advice or feedback on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
fly@night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Did you see this thread?

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1822877

This post may help:

“Thanks again everyone. I had my Elite v2 installed this morning and am very pleased. I guess I didn't expect such a drastic improvement in comfort mode, but comfort almost feels like the old sport plus and sport plus feels outstanding.

One observation, I waited while they installed it and I was curious as to whether that were going to disconnect the battery per Dinan's install instructions. When I drove off for the first time, I honestly didn't feel anything and it almost felt a little sluggish. I only drove it to work which was 10 minutes from the shop and really nowhere to test it, but form a pedal perspective, I wasn't feeling it. I immediately sent an email with my observations and asked if they disconnected the battery. They said no and it was not necessary as they let the car go to sleep before proceeding and the only reason to disconnect the battery is so the car doesn't wake up in the middle which would throw codes. They said I had no codes and to give it some time and to let it sit locked to the system fully powered down.

I let it sit for two hours and just took it for a spin and it's like night and day from leaving the shop to ride number two. I do think there is something to letting the unit power up from cold for the first time.

Anyway, all good.”
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly@night View Post
Did you see this thread?

This post may help:

“Thanks again everyone. I had my Elite v2 installed this morning and am very pleased. I guess I didn't expect such a drastic improvement in comfort mode, but comfort almost feels like the old sport plus and sport plus feels outstanding.

One observation, I waited while they installed it and I was curious as to whether that were going to disconnect the battery per Dinan's install instructions. When I drove off for the first time, I honestly didn't feel anything and it almost felt a little sluggish. I only drove it to work which was 10 minutes from the shop and really nowhere to test it, but form a pedal perspective, I wasn't feeling it. I immediately sent an email with my observations and asked if they disconnected the battery. They said no and it was not necessary as they let the car go to sleep before proceeding and the only reason to disconnect the battery is so the car doesn't wake up in the middle which would throw codes. They said I had no codes and to give it some time and to let it sit locked to the system fully powered down.

I let it sit for two hours and just took it for a spin and it's like night and day from leaving the shop to ride number two. I do think there is something to letting the unit power up from cold for the first time.

Anyway, all good.”

I read that but I've let the car sit overnight and it still feels no different. I'm considering taking it back on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashkotecha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly@night View Post
Did you see this thread?

This post may help:

"Thanks again everyone. I had my Elite v2 installed this morning and am very pleased. I guess I didn't expect such a drastic improvement in comfort mode, but comfort almost feels like the old sport plus and sport plus feels outstanding.

Anyway, all good."

I read that but I've let the car sit overnight and it still feels no different. I'm considering taking it back on Monday.
One thing you can try is to put the bypass plug in the unit and see how it feels. The shop should have gone through the install, wiring and placement of the main box with you after they finished. They also should have showed you the plug (really a jumper) and where it goes.

If the unit wasn't installed correctly you would be throwing codes. When I was doing my research I came across one person who wasn't satisfied and said it felt worse. Then he unplugged it and plugged back in and it was like night and day.

Mine is performing very well and I'm pleased. I'm not sure I would have done the plugs at the same time. Too many variables at the same time. Could be they aren't gapped to spec.

Jump it to bypass and report back.
      05-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
One thing you can try is to put the bypass plug in the unit and see how it feels. The shop should have gone through the install, wiring and placement of the main box with you after they finished. They also should have showed you the plug (really a jumper) and where it goes.

If the unit wasn't installed correctly you would be throwing codes. When I was doing my research I came across one person who wasn't satisfied and said it felt worse. Then he unplugged it and plugged back in and it was like night and day.

Mine is performing very well and I'm pleased. I'm not sure I would have done the plugs at the same time. Too many variables at the same time. Could be they aren't gapped to spec.

Thank you for the suggestion, im not sure of how to do the bypass but im going to do some research and try it out right now.

The V2 doesnt even have bluetooth connectivity so I cant turn it off or anything.

The dealer left the box in the car and it has a little plug in there, im guessing thats what is used to do the bypass?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #8
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Quote:

Just got back from a drive after jumping it to bypass. It actually feels better as stock in my opinion. The acceleration seems a lot quicker. I suppose the spark plugs can be eliminated as the cause.

I'll plug the dinan back in and see if its any different
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #9
PAL516
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Just got back from a drive after jumping it to bypass. It actually feels better as stock in my opinion. The acceleration seems a lot quicker. I suppose the spark plugs can be eliminated as the cause.

I'll plug the dinan back in and see if its any different
Update?
      06-08-2021, 01:24 AM   #10
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL516 View Post
Update?

I took the car back to have the spark plugs checked to the right gapping and also reinstall the Dinan ECU.

The car is perfect now, the difference after the tune is quite noticeable in both comfort and sport plus. I found that the exhaust even sounds a lot better after the tune. It already sounded great with the x pipe but after the tune the pops and burbles seem a lot more prominent in sport plus and the growl is slightly deeper in comfort.
Appreciate 1
PAL51620.50
      06-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #11
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
I took the car back to have the spark plugs checked to the right gapping and also reinstall the Dinan ECU.

The car is perfect now, the difference after the tune is quite noticeable in both comfort and sport plus. I found that the exhaust even sounds a lot better after the tune. It already sounded great with the x pipe but after the tune the pops and burbles seem a lot more prominent in sport plus and the growl is slightly deeper in comfort.
Do you know if the issue was with the gapping of the plugs or just the unit needed a reset/reinstall? Just curious what the issue actually was, but I am guessing you will never know.
      06-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #12
akashkotecha
Private
Rep

Quote:
Do you know if the issue was with the gapping of the plugs or just the unit needed a reset/reinstall? Just curious what the issue actually was, but I am guessing you will never know.

From what I was told, the spark plugs were pretty much all gapped right. If i was to guess I would say it was reinstalling the Dinan ECU that fixed the problem...but you are right, can never really know for sure. Maybe the shop did not want to admit that they did not gap the plugs right the first time..
Appreciate 0