BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Harvard Health: Cholesterol testing is seriously flawed

08-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #1
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Harvard Health: Cholesterol testing is seriously flawed

Has anyone read this article or anything similar? https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart...-heart-disease

The article is from 2017.

People in my circle who are athletes, good BMI, good diet, no drinking, no smoking, etc. have high cholesterol, specifically high LDL. But low C-Reactive Protein, an inflammation marker.

The article says, "But for all its virtues, cholesterol testing is seriously flawed. Research has shown that only about 50% of the people who have heart attacks have high LDL. If LDL levels are supposed to be an alarm, then it's not going off for half of those who might benefit from a wake-up call."

Is the medical community changing its view on the relationship of cholesterol and heart disease?

What do all y'all think about this?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
JPSurratt2005
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

I just watched this the other day and the first speaker really hits on some interesting points about LDL. I recommend you watch the entire thing but if not start at the 6 minute mark. Very informative.
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
3PedalJake2613.50
      08-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
The concept that there is such a thing as "bad cholesterol" is an oversimplification of a faulty premise. It will take standard medical practice a long time to catch up, and may never be allowed to catch up because as the OPs video shows, cholesterol isn't the problem, the problem is Insulin resistance leading to damaged (oxidized) LDL, and the only way to undamage it is to stop eating sugar and ultra-processed food and seed oils. The most meaningful statistic on a blood workup is the ratio of triglycerides to total cholesterol, this gives some meaningful insight into your state of metabolic health, your LDL numbers only matter in that context.

In addition to the above video, Dr.Eckberg explains it in specific terms...
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
g.m00149.00
      09-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
g.m00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 & M2C

Hmm this is interesting, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
The concept that there is such a thing as "bad cholesterol" is an oversimplification of a faulty premise. It will take standard medical practice a long time to catch up, and may never be allowed to catch up because as the OPs video shows, cholesterol isn't the problem, the problem is Insulin resistance leading to damaged (oxidized) LDL, and the only way to undamage it is to stop eating sugar and ultra-processed food and seed oils. The most meaningful statistic on a blood workup is the ratio of triglycerides to total cholesterol, this gives some meaningful insight into your state of metabolic health, your LDL numbers only matter in that context.

In addition to the above video, Dr.Eckberg explains it in specific terms...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:25 AM   #5
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Oxidative stress is ultimately what causes health issues and increased cholesterol is an indicator of oxidative stress. Lowering cholesterol doesn't lower oxidative stress and that is why longevity is not increased when cholesterol is lowered.

What you eat greatly effects oxidative stress. I don't have enough time to write about every aspect of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
@Kick 6

What would be a good starting point to read more about this?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:22 AM   #7
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
@Kick 6

What would be a good starting point to read more about this?
I read a lot of research but don't read a lot of books. I know it may sound odd, but the single best book I've read that pertains to health is an e-book called Autism: Pathways to Recovery by Dr Amy Yasko. You should be able to find and download it for free. I printed it out and read it twice. It's a technical read but it's right up my wheelhouse.

Dr Yasko is a microbiologist with a lot of experience in immunology and infectious disease. If you just don't think about the term Autism or maybe replace it with any other medical condition, the book holds true. To get to the root cause of our issues, this book does a great job explaining it.
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      06-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #8
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. Is there an article or two on oxidative stress that you can recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #9
Kick 6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks. Is there an article or two on oxidative stress that you can recommend?
I'm at work so just a quick search found this. I'm not sure of your technical background, but it can get deep pretty fast. Be sure to read the part titled "Pathogenic Roles of Oxidative Stress" on page 151.

https://sci-hub.se/https://aspenjour...48607111434963
2018 M6 Gran Coupe> DME Stage 2 ECU Remap>Xpress Power Catless Downpipes>Resonator Delete> KW Height Adjustable Springs>Rear Carbon Fiber Diffuser>Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler>Carbon Fiber Mirrors>IND Painted Front Grille> IND Painted Front Reflector>JR-34 Gunmetal Wheels, 20mm Spacer on rear, 10mm Spacer on front>RK Autowerks Carbon Air Intake>Racing Dynamics Carbon Engine Cover>Carbon Steering Wheel
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50