BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Semiconductor shortage

10-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
tumtumtum
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Semiconductor shortage

Did anyone receive their car with random deletions?

I didn't get told but my new 545e came without wireless phone charging (and thus without digital car key) and also without the contactless tailgate.

The tailgate I don't mind (it rarely works) but the missing wireless charging (and car key) annoys me cause I use wireless charging every time I drive.

Anyone else missing things? I hear adjustable lumbar supports are deleted for customers of other manufacturers.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      10-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumtumtum View Post

I didn't get told but my new 545e came without wireless phone charging (and thus without digital car key) and also without the contactless tailgate.

The tailgate I don't mind (it rarely works) but the missing wireless charging (and car key) annoys me cause I use wireless charging every time I drive.

Anyone else missing things? I hear adjustable lumbar supports are deleted for customers of other manufacturers.
All three of the items you mentioned are standard deletions for MY22 G30s.

I've had the contactless tailgate feature on my last few BMWs and always appreciated the option. Hope they get it figured out and restore the option soon.

BMW wireless charging has been a huge disappointment (to me) for two reasons. The charge tray is too small and the charger often over heats phones. I find a $30 Amazon wireless charger can work more reliably than BMWs installed option.
      10-16-2021, 12:12 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Interested in how this is occurring
We're you told before you received the car , and hence had the option to cancel! Or did the car arrive and you were subsequently informed?
Presumably a price reduction as well
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
We're you told before you received the car , and hence had the option to cancel! Or did the car arrive and you were subsequently informed?
For the 2022's these were known deletions in the car build, online configurator and otherwise. If one did not do the work to compare the spec changes versus the 2021 it seems to me to be on them. Btw, there were option package price reductions accordingly to account for the missing items. This is a well documented situation. Also, these are pretty minimal changes in the grand scheme of this awesome car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
tumtumtum
Rep

Quote:
I wasnt told before or after. The original order (i have the document) included the items that were deleted at delivery. I'll obviously be querying the dealership (Park Lane so BMW run).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:22 AM   #6
tumtumtum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD550 View Post
Quote:
For the 2022's these were known deletions in the car build, online configurator and otherwise. If one did not do the work to compare the spec changes versus the 2021 it seems to me to be on them. Btw, there were option package price reductions accordingly to account for the missing items. This is a well documented situation. Also, these are pretty minimal changes in the grand scheme of this awesome car.
I ordered in May and the original order included these items explicitly. They were deleted in the final invoice on delivery and I wasn't told before hand so it was a surprise.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered in May and the original order included these items explicitly. They were deleted in the final invoice on delivery and I wasn't told before hand so it was a surprise.
So this is a 2021? Different story. Many late delivery 2021's had the same issues. Then it is a bummer that you did not get what you ordered and certainly dont need to finalize the deal if you dont want to. Given the deliver delays and the subsequent depreciation, if you bought and not leased, I would personally move on to a 2022. If you leased then you have to decide whether to suck it up. Those items are pretty minimal accessories in my opinion however.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
tumtumtum
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So this is a 2021? Different story. Many late delivery 2021's had the same issues. Then it is a bummer that you did not get what you ordered and certainly dont need to finalize the deal if you dont want to. Given the deliver delays and the subsequent depreciation, if you bought and not leased, I would personally move on to a 2022. If you leased then you have to decide whether to suck it up. Those items are pretty minimal accessories in my opinion however.
What's the different with the 2022 models except for the deletions? How can you telling you have a 2021 or a 2022? I don't know the time when it actually went into production.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:21 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What's the different with the 2022 models except for the deletions? How can you telling you have a 2021 or a 2022? I don't know the time when it actually went into production.
Look in your driver's door jamb and check the build month. If it says 7 (July) or later then it's a 2022. More than likely it is, given you ordered in May.
      10-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
Cofveve12
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW550I

Garage List
2022 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2022 M550i

My vehicle is missing the mobile internet hot spot feature. Those high end BMW cars with the hot spot have a subsidiary of T-Mobile (Germany) providing the service. No US companies (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) service.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
are y'all certain digital key card (and iPhone Digital Key) are deleted? over in the G05 forum, MY22 lost the wireless charging tray but retained NFC capability so it still has digital key capability. even though they're installed in the same area, the components are separate and independent of each other.

the way to be certain Digital Key really has been deleted is if 'Digital Key' doesn't appear in your MyBMW app or in the iDrive key settings. did your vehicles not come with the digital key card? it's usually placed along with the paper manuals in the glove compartment or in the sun visor or the dealer kept it (like mine did for over a month... he took it out initially when registering it with MyBMW).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #12
tumtumtum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
are y'all certain digital key card (and iPhone Digital Key) are deleted? over in the G05 forum, MY22 lost the wireless charging tray but retained NFC capability so it still has digital key capability. while housed in the same area, the components are separate and independent of each other.

the way to be certain Digital Key has really been deleted is if 'Digital Key' doesn't appear in the MyBMW app or in the iDrive key fob settings. did your vehicles not come with the digital key card? it's usually placed along with the paper manuals or in the sun visor or the dealer kept it (like mine did for over a month... he took it out when registering it with MyBMW).
No digital key in the app and no digital key card 😌
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #13
Brucelinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

My '22 M550 is waiting for a ship in Bremerhaven but the build sheet shows an $80 credit for the digital key. There is no credit shown for deletion of the hands free tailgate. A few weeks ago, the configurator showed a $100 credit for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
IndyZack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M550

My 21 M550 had the hands free tailgate credited back (don't care) nothing else was removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:

If you try for a 3 series,
there are plenty of deletions - to the point I gave up, cancelled, and waited months to see what happened.

What happened was - it got worse, so I looked at other options, ending up ordering a 545E and the spec now includes those and everything else I 'wanted'

Technology Plus Pack
5AU Driving Assistant Professional
5DN Parking Assistant Plus
610 Head-Up Display
6DR Drive Recorder
6F1 Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround
Sound Audio System
6NW Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless
Charging
6U8 Gesture Control
6WD WiFi Hotspot

The dealership are aware if much goes awol (B&W Tech+ pack) then I will not be taking it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post
there are plenty of deletions - to the point I gave up, cancelled, and waited months to see what happened.

What happened was - it got worse, so I looked at other options, ending up ordering a 545E and the spec now includes those and everything else I 'wanted'

Technology Plus Pack
610 Head-Up Display
6DR Drive Recorder
Sound Audio System
Charging
6U8 Gesture Control
6WD WiFi Hotspot

The dealership are aware if much goes awol (B&W Tech+ pack) then I will not be taking it.
I could hate you. I want your car!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #17
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yeh these chip and supply issues are really hitting purchases. Just seen on the 3 series forum some one had ACC deleted and left with the basic cruise control
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #18
ZedsChris
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535xi

2022 M550i Ordered

Just confirmed an order and was told the only exclusion was the: ZTL - Automatic Trunk Removal.
The wireless charging was not an option apparently in this model year.

So what exactly is the ZTL exclusion ? the contactless opening of trunk or the remote / motorized opening from interior and key fob ?

The BWM Canada Price Guide / Spec sheet lists two standard options related to the trunk:
316 Automatic Trunk
and
32X Deletion of Contactless Tailgate Operation

The ZTL is neither of these ?
And the dealership does not sound totally convincing that they know for sure.

MSRP Options and Packages
13BK - M550i xDrive Sedan
SP-BLD - No Charge Scheduled Maintenance 3yr/60k
ZGT - Premium Enhanced Package [M550]
- Universal Remote Control
- Parking Assistant: 5DN or ZRO
- Soft Close Doors
- Comfort Seats Front
- Massage Function for Driver and Passenger
- Ceramic Controls
- BMW Drive Recorder
ZPZ - M Sport Pro Package [M550]
- Brakes: 2NH or 3M2
- Individual Shadowline Headlights
- M Rear Spoiler
- High-Gloss Black Exterior Contents
- M Seat Belts
1R9 - 20inch M Lt/Aly Wheels, Y-Spoke 846M, Bicolour, Perf RFT
3M2 - M Sport Brakes, Red w/ ZPZ
453 - Ventilated Seats w/ ZGU or ZGT
4HA - Seat Heating, Front and Rear
4LF - Ridge Wood Trim w/Satin Chrome Highlight
4M5 - Walknappa Leather Dashboard
5DN - Parking Assistant Plus w/ Surround View
4161 - Carbon Black Metallic
LZNI - Mocha Nappa Lthr w/Contrast Stitching/Piping
ZTL - Automatic Trunk Removal
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #19
G30 545e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 545e G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post

Technology Plus Pack
610 Head-Up Display
6DR Drive Recorder
Sound Audio System
Charging
6U8 Gesture Control
6WD WiFi Hotspot

I ordered a 545e as well back in May. Ordered what you have there except the B+W and was told that the wireless charger would be missing. So my question is, if we ordered same car around same time from same factory (presumably) why is the WC missing from my car?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #20
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BWM 530E

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 545e View Post
I ordered a 545e as well back in May. Ordered what you have there except the B+W and was told that the wireless charger would be missing. So my question is, if we ordered same car around same time from same factory (presumably) why is the WC missing from my car?
From what I have seen, if there is any logic on what BMW do. BMW does not tell anyone. It seam it depend when the car hits the assembly line, what it will get or not get.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:10 PM   #21
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 545e View Post
From my understanding - March/April/May was the worst time for ordering and getting items deleted.
It would be a major time of 'semiconductor shortage'
Since then, some things have eased, some have gotten considerably worse.
I did notice a post here stating that a couple of options had become available once again (not on the 3 series for sure) and that contacting your dealer *may* give you the chance to get them back on, and they also began appearing in the configurator once more.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #22
ULR74
Rep
Drives: Waiting for new 545e

I ordered a 545e in Denmark back in April. I was told in the summer that it would be delivered without M-sport brakes. I was later on told that the wireless charging would be missing, however checking via cars VIN it looks like wireless charging was added after all. But the car has now been stuck for 7 weeks - and still counting - waiting for 'quality control' whatever that covers...
Appreciate 2