BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Really wanted a 330E Tourer - BUT

11-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Really wanted a 330E Tourer - BUT

I ordered a 545E instead.
I finally gave up on trying to get a 330E touring to the spec I wanted, anytime before I retire, and the 530E kinda did not 'hit the spot'
So have finally pulled the trigger on the 545E, expected April / May 2022.
Fingers crossed that the B&W sounds and Tech+ pack remain intact and available..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

Confirmed as now on order, awaiting allocation/build date.
I'm guessing build around late April.
Lease paperwork all signed.
Wait begins now.
Been a very long time (1997) since I last ordered a BMW.
The joys of UK 'BIK' tax had seen to that.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The tourer would be nice but the 545e is way, way nicer!

We can't get either but if I could choose one...it would be the 545e.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

I will wait and see on that one, but there were more reasons - my wife can and did easily drive the 3 series tourer we had for nigh on 10 yrs, but the 5 series was just that much bigger and less easy for her.
I agree, it **should** be a better motor - it is costing teensy bit more.
It also seems to have a fair amount of power under the pedal, which I am looking forward to becoming accustomed to.
Currently a 4 pot 2.5 diesel turbo truck, while it can 'move' is never exactly brisk on the get going thing.
That part I am definitely looking forward to.
Oh, and getting into a warm car in winter that does not freeze the screen by blowing outside air onto it as its mists over, finally fully defrosting as you arrive at work will be appreciated.
The little things.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonD View Post
I will wait and see on that one, but there were more reasons - my wife can and did easily drive the 3 series tourer we had for nigh on 10 yrs, but the 5 series was just that much bigger and less easy for her.
I agree, it **should** be a better motor - it is costing teensy bit more.
It also seems to have a fair amount of power under the pedal, which I am looking forward to becoming accustomed to.
Currently a 4 pot 2.5 diesel turbo truck, while it can 'move' is never exactly brisk on the get going thing.
That part I am definitely looking forward to.
Oh, and getting into a warm car in winter that does not freeze the screen by blowing outside air onto it as its mists over, finally fully defrosting as you arrive at work will be appreciated.
The little things.
With the BMW PHEVs you can use the BMW app to climatize the cabin (either heat or AC). A great feature.

But do advise your spouse to drive it like she hates it. It will be a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #6
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I finally got a date for delivery - late June/Early July.
Not the shortest build time, but it is what it is in this crazy episode we are living through.
Lets hope for no setbacks and zero deletions..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 03:08 AM   #7
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

Waiting really does become a real bore (first world problems eh) so decided to get a move on with getting the EV charger fitted outside..
That means a change of old fuse board in the garage, a new 80/100amp that needs to be fitted (today) by the power company, and seeing as the grant for fitting is being removed as of 31st March ordered the charger. Thats now being fitted mid Feb.
Proving you have even a car on order is amusing, all I could give was a screenshot of the BMW customer order and 'ag' O/No. Im hoping that does, as I don't get a VIN until its built, sometime late June/Early July.
I think the house might even get painted and the garden re organised by then..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:53 AM   #8
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

After an online ‘chat’ with a ‘Genius’ I have discovered a programmed build date of May 9th.
That is obviously subject to alteration, but currently all options are due to be fitted.

I’m hopeful I get to take it to the Goodwood FOS as a first run, but not holding my breath on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:11 AM   #9
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally, after an incredibly 'bumpy' road I got a status up date that the car is on route to 'Port Of Exit' Status 190.

Due to arrive at dealers the day I go on holiday - it just has to be like that doesn't it!

Ironically, just back from the Festival of speed as well, having seen the launch of the new M3 touring.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am currently planning to replace my 2018 530e next year. Currently, I plan on a Lucid Air Pure with a Cadillac Lyriq as a backup. I have put down deposit on both.

If BMW would sell the 545e in the US, I would be tempted by that. But it won't. The rest of the electrified lineup by BMW is ultra ugly. I test drove a BMW IX 50 and loved it BUT despite trying, I couldn't get past the looks. I think it is a shame as I love the way BMW cars drive but I can't walk into my garage every day and see that ugly car. When I am paying at or north of $100K, it should be something that doesn't make me gag.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:12 AM   #11
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

I find myself in complete agreement with you Steve, and having seen a few last week at the Festival of Speed, I find myself wondering just what path BMW are going down at this moment.
While 100% of folks will never agree on styling, this current trend of making them look like startled beavers is not one I could live with.
Neither do I get where they are with battery size and range, it's not making a heap of sense to me.
The B58 in the 330E would be amazing, and sell very well here, but I know you also do not get the touring range.
This one is likely to be the last new vehicle I get, as when it goes back the rules on driving / age in the UK are set to be changing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #12
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep

257 days after order, it arrives.
Then you discover that the home charge point (fitted in February) actually contains faulty components that decide to go down the very first time you ask it to charge a car..

[IMG]
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #13
StuW530e
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 545e M Sport

Nice! Congratulations on finally getting it.
Appreciate 0