BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions HELP!!

01-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #1
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

HELP!!

Hey guys,

There was a overturned truck this morning on the highway right by my exit.

I was just coming home and all i heard was a loud A** bang like I hit the worlds biggest pothole.

A bunch of warnings/errors came on and my steering wheel started vibrating like crazy and won't stop.

The steering became really stiff. I was able to drive home and my tires are all fine (run flats)

I had to keep pressing to on/off button to shut off the car and even with the car off, the steering wheel kept vibrating. When i locked the doors from the handle, the mirrors didnt fold in like normal either. I dont know WTF happened. Any ideas, suggestions on what to do?

I called the cops to notify them and will potentially file a report for unknown damages. Ill try to go back with them to the spot it happened to see if we can figure out wtf it is.

Warnings that came on:

Steering wheel vibration non stop
Tpm malfunction
Drivetrain malfunction
Limited support with driver assistance
Restraint system
Press brake to engage gear
Increased steering effort
Parking brake malfunction
Auto PDC malfunction
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #2
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

Is the car a g31? Is it E drive? Is it Xdrive?

If you didn't hit anything I only have one idea what could cause this.

Make sure the battery that controls the 24v steering system didn't explode it's lithium and under the bonnet all other battery's are in the trunk. Only applies to G31 I think.

That could cause all sorts of issues if it blew up, steering electrical damaged modules etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Actually another idea from your faults I think the car believes it has crashed.

ACSM modules after a crash have to be reset by BMW and I believe can only be reset twice and then have to be replaced.

Does your car have active pedestrian protection, is the bonnet secure it has a system that lifts it to safe a person in a crash. I'm guessing it makes a massive bang when it goes off.

It also locks up many of the systems your getting faults with, won't allow doors lock and makes and emergency call etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Sounds like you ran over something. You need to look at the car or take it in to see what is damaged. This will need eyes on the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Its a 2018 G30 540i Xdrive.

Going to take it to a shop tomorrow to see what we can find.

So whatever it was basically smashed my ABS module/pump underneath and put a gash in the firewall. Gotta go thru insurance for this. This sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #6
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #7
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

I hit a pothole in my 2020 M550 and I thought i ran over an IED.

It was ridiculous how loud and HARD it felt. It was like nothing i've ever experienced before. Look at your front tires and see if you find any bulges/bubbles on them. Mine was right front. Had a huge bubble in the sidewall and the wheel was slightly bent, but can be straightened.

No warnings or anything came up on mine, but i seriously was wondering how the airbags did not deploy. It sounds like your car thinks it was in an accident.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:09 PM   #8
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3LaZeN View Post

I called the cops to notify them and will potentially file a report for unknown damages. Ill try to go back with them to the spot it happened to see if we can figure out wtf it is.
Dont get your hopes up on this one if it was a pothole. I went directly to the Town DPW where I hit the pothole and spoke with the Director. The only way the Town/City will pay for any damages is if the pothole was previously reported to DPW and they did not repair it. The only other option is to go through Insurance for a claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:21 PM   #9
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Dont get your hopes up on this one if it was a pothole. I went directly to the Town DPW where I hit the pothole and spoke with the Director. The only way the Town/City will pay for any damages is if the pothole was previously reported to DPW and they did not repair it. The only other option is to go through Insurance for a claim.
The old trick is having someone else report the pothole then you waiting a little bit then reporting your damage. This dumb rule exists in every state it seems.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #10
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Any update?
I left the car at a shop and the insurance adjuster will be going by to check out the damage.

I got a brief chance to check under when we put it on the lift and it had two holes ripped thru the plastic/hard cloth material underneath.

First hole showed the ABS module/pump which got hit and the 2nd hole showed a hole in the subframe.

I know for sure it wasnt a pothole i just have no clue what it was.

Police said they dont file any report for that and to just call my insurance. I put in a claim with my insurance so waiting now.

Theres no damage to the exterior of my bumper, lip, or tires. Will need to inspect the rim to see if any cracks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Unlucky hit!!

Strange the passenger restraint and drive train error came up though.

Thankfully it's not your battery exploding or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:54 PM   #12
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hole in the subframe could be super expensive to repair properly with a new subframe a lot of work involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #13
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ouch !!

That sounds awful. I hope they can repair it. Sounds expensive to me. Hoping your insurance doesnt go up!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:36 PM   #14
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ouch !!

That sounds awful. I hope they can repair it. Sounds expensive to me. Hoping your insurance doesnt go up!
Quote:
Unlucky hit!!

Strange the passenger restraint and drive train error came up though.

Thankfully it's not your battery exploding or something like that.
Yea i think the car is thinking it got in an accident.
All brake lights are lighting up at all times, I have to press the off button a few times to turn the car off, and mirrors wont fold in.

Quote:
Hole in the subframe could be super expensive to repair properly with a new subframe a lot of work involved.

Quote:
Ouch !!

I am definitely saddened by it. Take such good care of the car for something like this to happen and I still dont know what hit it underneath. All i know is there was a overturned dump truck from earlier in the day at that same spot so it either damaged the road or it left some debris.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

It may not be too bad in the end new ABS module, ACSM reset, new under panel and subframe changed.

At least the airbags didn't go off👍

If the car is cosmetically perfect ( sounds very well kept by you) you will in theory be getting all new bushing on the frame and diff, new frame and new modules so not bad.
Appreciate 1
I3LaZeN504.50
      01-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #16
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It may not be too bad in the end new ABS module, ACSM reset, new under panel and subframe changed.

At least the airbags didn't go off

If the car is cosmetically perfect ( sounds very well kept by you) you will in theory be getting all new bushing on the frame and diff, new frame and new modules so not bad.
Fingers crossed and hoping for it to not be too bad.

Thanks bro!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #17
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wishing you the best Blazen !

Wonder how they address the gash through your firewall ? Keep us posted on what the Insurance adjuster comes up with.
Appreciate 1
I3LaZeN504.50
      01-16-2022, 05:30 PM   #18
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Don't think he has a firewall gash, the panels on the underside are solid plastic and a fibre board material, its likely the fibre board was torn. (Hope so)

If the firewall is damaged in engine bay and along fuel/exhaust tunnel/tank area it'll be a write off as no viable way to repair that.

Item 13 is the DSC unit is low down not in the bay so helpfully no firewall damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #19
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Sounds like you may have driven over something that came off or out of that overturned truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't think he has a firewall gash, the panels on the underside are solid plastic and a fibre board material, its likely the fibre board was torn. (Hope so)

If the firewall is damaged in engine bay and along fuel/exhaust tunnel/tank area it'll be a write off as no viable way to repair that.

Item 13 is the DSC unit is low down not in the bay so helpfully no firewall damage.
Quote:

Yea I used the wrong word.. not firewall.

Thank you for this image. I'm pretty positive it was #13 that got smashed as the first hole in the board is behind the front driver tire.

The 2nd hole is a little behind that, going towards the rear of the vehicle and its broken thru thru fibre board you mentioned as well as the metal which I'm calling subframe. Ill try to get some pics this week of the damage and will share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
Sounds like you may have driven over something that came off or out of that overturned truck.
Thats exactly what I'm assuming. I have dash cam footage that I keep looking at and I dont see it at all and I have a front lip on my car which wasnt touched at all. I'm assuming it cleared my front lip, and when as soon as my front driver tire hit it, it turned and smashed the underneath part. However, I still dont see it in the dash cam footage, then again it was dark.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #21
RM707
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

It could've been one loose piece of leaf spring from truck. Probably was laying down perpendicular to your front wheels. You hit it with front wheel and it bounces and punches a hole.

How do I know? It happened to me long long time ago. When I hit it with my rear wheel it punched pefect whole in gas tank (in old Pontiac it was underneath trunk). I'm lucky to be alive. I drove couple of hundred feet untill drivers alerted me about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:48 PM   #22
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM707 View Post
It could've been one loose piece of leaf spring from truck. Probably was laying down perpendicular to your front wheels. You hit it with front wheel and it bounces and punches a hole.

How do I know? It happened to me long long time ago. When I hit it with my rear wheel it punched pefect whole in gas tank (in old Pontiac it was underneath trunk). I'm lucky to be alive. I drove couple of hundred feet untill drivers alerted me about it.
Wow. I see something on the left lane shoulder where the impact happened, I just need to figure a way/spot to pull over to snap a pic of it for Insurance purposes.
Appreciate 0