BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW to be Honored Marque at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed

04-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW to be Honored Marque at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW to be Honored Marque at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed
COMMENTS
Name:  01_bmw_m4_gts.jpg
Views: 4807
Size:  563.0 KB

April 7, 2016 Press Release

BMW will be the Central Feature Marque at the 2016 Goodwood Festival of Speed. In its centenary year, the company will take centre stage at the world’s most prestigious motoring festival. Showcasing the diversity of its brands - BMW, MINI, Rolls-Royce and BMW Motorrad - BMW Group will celebrate its illustrious sporting past, alongside the stylish cars and bikes of its current range.

Epitomising this year’s Festival of Speed theme – ‘Full Throttle – The Endless Pursuit of Power’ – the Central Feature will celebrate BMW’s myriad of motorsport successes. Taking a starring role on the sculpture created by Gerry Judah will be the legendary BMW 328 Mille Miglia Roadster, the Gordon Murray-designed Brabham-BMW BT52, and the Le Mans-winning BMW V12 LMR.

Visitors will be able to see and hear many products from BMW’s past that continue to make their mark on the company today. Cars steering their way up Goodwood’s famous 1.16-mile course include a beautiful 1957 BMW 507, the Mille Miglia-winning BMW 328 Touring Coupé from 1940, and a 1965 BMW 1800 TiSA – an early example of BMW’s unparalleled success in touring car racing. Meanwhile, motorbike enthusiasts will be treated to an array of classic and modern bikes including a 1966 BMW R50 S Kaczor, a 1976 BMW R90 S 76 and legendary WR 750 Kompressor from 1929.

This summer’s festival also promises one of the most exciting displays ever for BMW Motorsport GmbH. Representing the most recent expression of the BMW M philosophy, the BMW M4 GTS will be seen for the first time at Goodwood – both up the hill and on display – powered by a six-cylinder in-line engine that develops 500hp with the help of a new water injection system.

A unique ‘M Avenue’ will celebrate iconic BMW M cars from the last 40 years alongside the hottest new M products, including the new BMW M2 - the latest compact sports coupé in a long line of legendary road and racing BMWs. Meanwhile, visitors will be enticed to the BMW Pavilion to see the Bavarian manufacturer’s newest models, including the special edition BMW i8 Protonic Red Edition.

Graeme Grieve, BMW Group UK’s Chief Executive Officer, said: “Throughout our 100 year history, BMW has always proved to be a highly innovative company which has defined change and looked to the future. From our first racing success in 1924 through to our plug-in hybrid model BMW i8, BMW Group has played a pioneering role in the automotive world. I am delighted that we will be celebrating our landmarks and achievements at Goodwood this year.”

The Earl of March, Chairman of the Goodwood Group of Companies said, “In its 100-year history, BMW has created many landmark cars, and has an exceptional motorsport heritage in Formula 1, Formula 2, at Le Mans, and in a variety of touring car series around the world. BMW has been one of the Festival’s most loyal and enthusiastic partners for 19 years. I am thrilled to be celebrating their centenary, and our long-standing relationship, with a BMW Central Feature. The sculpture will feature three cars which epitomise BMW's competitive instincts and pursuit of technology in creating the ultimate driving machine.”

The Goodwood Festival of Speed is being held from 23-26 June 2016, beginning with Press Preview Day featuring the Moving Motor Show on Thursday 23 June.

Appreciate 2
      04-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

This is going to be such a good year to be at the GoodWood !!!

Anyone doing an ED should make a detour there..

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 04-07-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

My client is a Goodwood Member and just went for the meeting.

I was in his "garage" last month and he walked me through the three cars he is shipping over for the hill climb during the Goodwood FoS!

It was crazy cool. I wish I was going.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Sean@PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 Sedan

So amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #5
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Jolly good show.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Festival of Speed is always a pleasure to watch
      04-08-2016, 01:36 AM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Really can't wait for this now had my tickets booked since first day of sale going to be awesome.