BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

04-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

You guys are really acting like the M3 is weight. The RS5 is rumored to way 3800 pounds? An M3 is 3700 pounds. 4100 if you get the vert. It's not 2006 anymore.

And everyone who just assumes the audi will be a sloth on the road should reallllly go drive a used RS4. When all the audi fanatics say that the S cars aren't trying to compete with the M cars but the RS cars are, they really really mean it.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #24
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Man, it won't be long for PES to supercharge this beast or someone to chip it! It is heavy, but so is the M3 isn't the lightest either. SMG clunks and S6 mode has my neck all out of line. S Tronic should fix that. And the interior!! M3 has a very nice interior as well,hopefully the RS5 falls into my budget of 75k. Otherwise, M3 here I come
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #25
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by domobrown View Post
Man, it won't be long for PES to supercharge this beast or someone to chip it! It is heavy, but so is the M3 isn't the lightest either. SMG clunks and S6 mode has my neck all out of line. S Tronic should fix that. And the interior!! M3 has a very nice interior as well,hopefully the RS5 falls into my budget of 75k. Otherwise, M3 here I come
when u looking into getting a new ride?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #26
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
when u looking into getting a new ride?
In the next month or two. Tired of SMG quirks and I don't want this car after warranty! Drinks up oil and gas like no other. Not to mention my interior isn't smelling pleasant anymore, I tend to have excessive flatulence.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
In appeal and appearance the RS5 more closely mimics that air of superiority that the M6 gives compared to the M3, this is probably down to it's size being both wider and lower than the M3. One thing is certain, neither of them will match the sheer grunt of the M6, especially at the top end but both offer a wider breadth of abilities other than the more one dimensional M6 which majors on straight-line speed above every thing else.

I noticed that you might consider either supercharging or some other form to up the power up, this might be where the RS5 will score over the M3, having the benefit of spreading the power over both axles thus limiting the traction issues that could well arise for such possible increases in power.

The timescale might be the real problem as I doubt AoA will release it's prices yet, especially if the car won't be coming until 2011. Either way both are great cars and now that the M3 appears to over almost all of it's DCT issues then picking it isn't a worry.

Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #28
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In the next month or two. Tired of SMG quirks and I don't want this car after warranty! Drinks up oil and gas like no other. Not to mention my interior isn't smelling pleasant anymore, I tend to have excessive flatulence.
heh, don't expect the new RS5 to hit up north america till next year buddy My interior isn't smelling like it once did when I first picked it up, I miss that nice fresh leather smell In ur case, you may just pick up the M3.... M6 just not doing it for you anymore eh?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #29
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

here is another article from EVO:
Interesting to say the least.....

What is it?

The latest RS model from Audi, the RS5 coupe, which joins the TTRS and RS6. There have never been three RS models on sale at the same time before. It uses a new 4.2-litre naturally aspirated V8 with 444bhp and 317lb ft of torque. The motor isn’t a re-worked version of the old RS4’s V8, it’s actually 4/5ths of the Audi R8's 5.2-litre V10.

Technical highlights

The motor, which revs to 8500rpm, is nearly 30bhp more powerful than the RS4’s engine and yet produces just 252g/km of CO2 against the old car's 324g/km. A C63 puts out 319g/km.

The chassis is arguably more interesting, with Audi choosing this car to showcase its new Quattro transmission, and in particular its new centre differential. This is a compact, mechanically operated unit that can put up to 70 percent of torque to the front wheels and 85 to the rear. It works alongside a torque-vectoring system (braking of the inside wheel) and you can specify the rear sport differential that was introduced on the S4. Audi claims it’s the best all-wheel drive sports car chassis on sale. It also uses the word ‘oversteer’ in its launch preamble, which in the past has proved to be an unwise move.

What’s it like to drive?

A little confusing. This is not a direct M3 rival, it is much more the everyday GT with an amusing turn of speed. The confusion comes in the slight disharmony that exists between powertrain and chassis. Taken in isolation the RS5 excels in both categories: the engine is tuneful, smooth and loves to rev – in fact it needs to rev to feel anything like as fast as the figures suggest.

Thankfully, the 7-speed S-Tronic transmission is typically superb, even if the intermediate ratios are too long. The trouble is, the RS5 seems to like a quieter life. It is exceptionally refined, and with the DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) set to comfort it rides well on Spanish roads, but we need to drive it in the UK just to make sure. So you’re left with a car whose chassis wants you to relax, but whose engine and gearbox must be worked very hard to produce the performance you’d expect. Like I said, confusing.

The chassis is very clever though. It resists understeer better than anything this heavy has any right to. Traction is very impressive and it speaks volumes of the advances in mechanical grip found with this new centre diff that even running very fast on a circuit, the ESP hardly ever interrupts. But does it really feel like the rear axle is doing more than the front, like a GT-R? Of course it doesn’t, it’s an Audi.

Special mention must go to the new, round, steering wheel. It was Audi that gave us the hideous cut-off wheel a few years back: great news that it appears to have ditched the silly idea.

How does it compare?

A BMW M3 is sharper, faster, far more interactive and – I have to assume - nothing like as relaxing to live with. The combination of S-Tronic and 4WD will really suit the UK market. The Mercedes C63 AMG is closer in concept and far more characterful, but on a damp road its driver would be all over the place following an RS5. Which actually sounds rather fun. The GT-R trounces the Audi for speed and dynamics but its interior is nothing like as appealing.

Anything else I need to know?

I’m going to say something a little controversial, but I was a touch disappointed with this car. It’s nothing like as characterful as the last RS4, and for all its technical brilliance it lacks roll-on performance – ironically just the type that the turbocharged S4 offers. It’s a fine car, but a long way from perfect.
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
@ shiggy, youre a typical bmw fanboy to me. wait for the real tests. i think for my part that the RS5 will be faster in all belongs to the M3, on the track too . i dont give much about Evo´s article. others like autocar and tom ford himself said its a blast to drive. so wait and see what test results bring
Fo Sho......
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #31
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post
@ shiggy, youre a typical bmw fanboy to me. wait for the real tests. i think for my part that the RS5 will be faster in all belongs to the M3, on the track too . i dont give much about Evo´s article. others like autocar and tom ford himself said its a blast to drive. so wait and see what test results bring
how can you not care about evo?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #32
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
^ I agree, how can you not value EVO's opinion. OK so it's one less favourable report among an ever increasing number praising it extremely highly but they opinion is still a valid and valued one.

Personally I think when compared on EVO's own roads used during comparisons I think things will change and his/their opinions might just change, but even if they don't I would still value it because I still only listen to one opinion is the end.

My own.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I wonder, did evo also attend the ascari circuit?

No one car will ever make everyone happy, only way to know if it's good for you is to drive it and find out urself
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #34
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I only listen to one opinion. My own.

So do I. And I have to say I like the RS4 more than the RS5, what is quite disappointing.

@footie: Do you know why the RS5 doesn't have the flat-bottom steering wheel? I like the round RS5 steering wheel more than the flatt-bottom RS4 steering-wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

So do I. And I have to say I like the RS4 more than the RS5, what is quite disappointing.

@footie: Do you know why the RS5 doesn't have the flat-bottom steering wheel? I like the round RS5 steering wheel more than the flatt-bottom RS4 steering-wheel.
I honestly wished I knew. At the RS5's release Audi UK said it would be part of it's package but the latest info says it's been dropped, so I am as lost as you are.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I honestly wished I knew. At the RS5's release Audi UK said it would be part of it's package but the latest info says it's been dropped, so I am as lost as you are.
I asked it because Audi is known for flat-bottom stearing wheels, it there mark. I like round strearing wheels more, not for cosmetical reasons, but for practical reasons, I like it for drifting. But I do not expect the Audi RS5 to be a car for drifting, it is actually the contrary. Or maybe I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #37
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I asked it because Audi is known for flat-bottom stearing wheels, it there mark. I like round strearing wheels more, not for cosmetical reasons, but for practical reasons, I like it for drifting. But I do not expect the Audi RS5 to be a car for drifting, it is actually the contrary. Or maybe I am wrong.
By their very nature awd cars don't lend themselves to oversteer anything like a powerful rwd. But this is not to say that the RS5 doesn't have a chassis that can't be controlled by the throttle, because it does.

p.s.
Lamborghini started the whole flat bottomed thing but the real brand to use it extentively is Volkswagen.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #38
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #39
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

LOL at first video: "Es macht irrsinning Spaß". He doesn't seem to have that much fun. He's somehow bored.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #40
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

all i see are giant red Xs. link dead?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #41
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
all i see are giant red Xs. link dead?
Which video can't you see?

Anyhow here is direct links to both just in case.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #42
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

from inside, it sounds ok. i think the m3 sounds better somehow especially at the top end.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #43
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
from inside, it sounds ok. i think the m3 sounds better somehow especially at the top end.
I believe there is more sound deadening in the Audi so this might explain why it's not quite as vocal as the M3, also the two engines though similar in concept and execution have different noises, part the engine, part the intake and partly the exhaust.

Now back to the topic.

Some here view the EVO review as proof positive that the RS5 isn't as good as the M3, while I am a great fan of both the magazine and Chris, I and you also have to remember that all the other reviews have given praise beyond almost any Audi with the possible exception being the R8, but given it's format and layout I think everyone can rule out that this car will be a walk over for the M3, even in elements like involvement and entertainment.

Next, some here still believe it will not be quicker than the M3 in acceleration. Chances are that it will out accelerate an M3 from a stand still, especially so on the public roads but from a rolling start it is sure to be close and though the M3 M-DCT might have the edge (I say questionable) the gap at best will be a few feet and certainly not car lengths. As the handling, well sorry guys but according to everything I have heard I think you will be surprised at the rate this thing takes corners and no the M3 can't do the same, at least not at the same speed.

One thing I will say in favour of the M3 is that to get these improvement Audi has brought a lot more technology to bare compared to that of the M3 which has good old fashioned balance, but the same could be true of the GT3 and no one seems to complain about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
ARMAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Chris Harris is bias because he owns an M3
Appreciate 0