BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i Upgraded Turbos?

12-20-2023, 09:34 PM   #23
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
The reason I have a G31 is because it does what I need—one car for everything. A compromise, and I fully admit it is a compromise.
So, same reason as everyone else? If all I wanted was practicality, I’d have a Yukon. If all I cared about was performance, I’d have a Porsche or some Bimmer besides a 5. We’re all making decisions on many factors. You just get a kick out of pissing in people’s cheerios, which is silly. It’s a car forum. You’re shocked that people on car forums like to drive more car than they need? Seems a little misguided.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 3
      12-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #24
Grimsbylander
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
Sure. My point is simply that tuning an already fast car seems so pointless when you can't use it 99.9 percent of the time.

Things get wildest above 180 km/h.

If I ever move back home to the States, I'd probably just cave and get a turbo 4.

I went back a few years ago and had forgotten how slow driving is.

I'm sorry but your perspective seems a little one directional. It suggests that the only way to enjoy a powerful car is at top speed? Or, at least at speeds well above North American legal limits. I have to disagree.

Like probably every other person here, I've driven at high speeds, and frankly, after a few minutes, 200+ kph doesn't feel any different that 150kph. Especially in a straight line on a major highway such as the autobahn. Frankly, the fear of being caught here is North America is more exhilarating than the speed. For me, I feel the speed, but not the power.

Now, acceleration is completely different. It is that "seat of your pants" pull that pins you into the seat as the technology of the car is demonstrated through your chest. That is what I consider exciting. Let's be honest, any damn 4 cylinder sedan or coupe manufactured today can claw their way up to 200kph...its HOW you get there that's the fun part.

So, you can have your straight line, high speed, runs on the autobahn, while listening to the radio or chatting on the phone. I'll take the kick in the ass acceleration or doing 100kph through a tight corner any day.

Enjoy what makes you happy!
Appreciate 1
darkrom188.00
      12-23-2023, 04:34 PM   #25
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsbylander View Post
I'm sorry but your perspective seems a little one directional. It suggests that the only way to enjoy a powerful car is at top speed? Or, at least at speeds well above North American legal limits. I have to disagree.

Like probably every other person here, I've driven at high speeds, and frankly, after a few minutes, 200+ kph doesn't feel any different that 150kph. Especially in a straight line on a major highway such as the autobahn. Frankly, the fear of being caught here is North America is more exhilarating than the speed. For me, I feel the speed, but not the power.

Now, acceleration is completely different. It is that "seat of your pants" pull that pins you into the seat as the technology of the car is demonstrated through your chest. That is what I consider exciting. Let's be honest, any damn 4 cylinder sedan or coupe manufactured today can claw their way up to 200kph...its HOW you get there that's the fun part.

So, you can have your straight line, high speed, runs on the autobahn, while listening to the radio or chatting on the phone. I'll take the kick in the ass acceleration or doing 100kph through a tight corner any day.

Enjoy what makes you happy!
I do. It is corners, same as you.

If only you were less emotional and had read my post. .
Appreciate 0