BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bmw "Laser" Headlight - Problem/Help

12-26-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
Cola97
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 series g30

Bmw "Laser" Headlight - Problem/Help

Hello everyone, after many attempts to create an account, I finally managed to create one (Registering through the app is not possible, continous ‘Error’)

I have a LCI 545e, with laser headlight,
I have been having problems since day 1 on my ownership (Purchased the car less than 9 months old and 21k km)
Right headlight high beam fault, after few attempts to fix by Bmw, they replaced the whole unit, everything was working fine then, a complete headlight adjustment was needed, whole lights were lighting too high, got it fixed within a day.
After 4 months(cca. 20k km) the left headlight fault, same, high beam (laser)
Same procedure, few attempts to fix (3, appointments, takes 2 months to get it replaced because no appointments after test driving it, even tho error shows right away at first automatic beam)
Finally got the whole unit replaced again, and this time also got windshield replaced (cracked in the meantime)
I have been making apointments to get it re-adjusted for 5 times now, not one BMW dealer can fix it, and I am about to cause accidents for blinding other people on traffic, this is totally brutal.
Below I have attached Youtube videos, and I hope you guys can see the problem.
Anyone who doesnt know, the laser beam lights up only when going above 60km/h and they flash on the road just like normal low beam if there is traffic, and can be seen on the road as they are much brighter comparing to normal LED. The left side(laser) is pointing too high, they light half of the ongoing car in front of me, which can be clearly seen on videos below.
Also, everytime I drive at night, they keep flashing me as I am basically blinding them, and it sucks! I have to turn off automatic lights. Has anyone experienced this and how did you get it fixed? Had at Bmw 5/6 times already, they have no clue even tho they totally understand the situation.

First:
https://youtu.be/eN7UiTgHozc?si=1TtRaNVEF5j-Gvj6

Second:
https://youtube.com/shorts/4cK9PRoNh...ZS-H9edopfkf-t

Incoming cars flashing as I blind them:
https://youtube.com/shorts/qbA2MpCIj...FnWsvIaCMMAs6K

Second:
https://youtu.be/yuqhDTFuzhQ?si=1gnmKxldWSJGZjBs
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 02:10 AM   #2
Cola97
Rep

Ps. Anyone trying to say they are just fine, please don’t, Been driving it while it had fully functional lights, and Anyone who has laser on their Bmw, know very well how they should be working..
How should I explain to Bmw in different way about this?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 04:32 PM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Was the system recalibrated after the windshield replacement? The windshield mounted camera is used to drive this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:06 PM   #4
GSMCCASH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
The first video seemed to show the lasers moving right to left multiple times ( light shining on car in front of you). My 23 are stable when driving and “retreat” in an inward down motion. Wonder if the windshield or radar on front lower front grill are malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:10 PM   #5
Cola97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Was the system recalibrated after the windshield replacement? The windshield mounted camera is used to drive this feature.
Thank you for response,
I did ask them to recalibrate, and they tried more than 4 times, 3 times at the favorite service point(my choosen one) and last time at new Bmw service house, they literally did nothing, maybe just a slight change that I have noticed
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:13 PM   #6
Cola97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMCCASH View Post
The first video seemed to show the lasers moving right to left multiple times ( light shining on car in front of you). My 23 are stable when driving and “retreat” in an inward down motion. Wonder if the windshield or radar on front lower front grill are malfunctioning.
Good one! I was actually steering left and right, just so laser go same direction, in order to see the difference of left and right laser on the ongoing car, Did you see the difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
GSMCCASH
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i (2023)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola97 View Post
Good one! I was actually steering left and right, just so laser go same direction, in order to see the difference of left and right laser on the ongoing car, Did you see the difference?
The left looks to be aimed higher than the right, but work in sync. My 2018 Explorer high beams (led)…..the right high beam is higher than the left which is normal. Your’s seem to be opposite of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 05:43 PM   #8
Cola97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMCCASH View Post
The left looks to be aimed higher than the right, but work in sync. My 2018 Explorer high beams (led)…..the right high beam is higher than the left which is normal. Your’s seem to be opposite of that.
That is correct, they are synchronised.
As you know, since yours has the same system, once theres traffic ahead, laser stays on and flashes normal distance like low beam, and those can be noticed on the road as they are much brighter than normal led. Its same situation on that video, automatic lights is on but high beam is off, so there you can see that the left laser is way too high..
What should I do? Can this be calibrated with bimmercode or is it too risky or even impossible
I wouldnt even consider bimmercode, but I already been at Bmw, I even had to pay to use their car (40eur for few hours) while mine was getting ‘fixed’ … its crazy
Appreciate 0