BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions MPPSK in Europe

06-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
Crysis21
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540xi

MPPSK in Europe

Hey Guys,

I have a 2017 540xi and I'm thinking of mounting the MPPSK package. The truth is, I don't want the sound change because I drive long roads, around 35.000K a year and I love how quiet the car is. But you can't have the Power Kit without the Sound part...

I usually cruise at around 150KM/h and 200-220 KM/h in no-limit zones of Germany. I'd like to know what is your experience with MPPSK fitted at cruising speeds in Europe. Does it drone at these speeds? Is the noise level increased that much when driving in Comfort mode?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I've had it on mine for over a year and never noticed a drone. I've got a G31 so would probably notice it more if there was one as there's less padding between the exhaust and cabin. Last year on the de-restricted autobahns I was cruising around 220kmh and it's absolutely fine. Then in Switzerland in the tunnels it was an absolute blast. I don't think you'll regret getting it done but if you just want more power maybe remap it yourself with bootmod3 or take it to a tuner.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Max86
Rep
Drives: 540i MPPSK

My previous car (F30 328i with M Perf. Exhaust) had a little bit of a drone when cruising on the autobahn. But I agree with Bibbles, no drone at all in the 540i but it is noticeably louder when accelerating, especially in SPORT plus.

Positives:
  • The sound mainly adds to the character, before the MPPSK I found the 6 inline very underwhelming. Sure it was powerful but dead in the sound department, it may as well have been a 530e. Now it is at least audible that there is a powerful 6 cylinder under the bonnet.
  • In Comfort mode it is still very civilised. When my wife drives, you would hardly notice a difference to the non-MPPSK. (she rarely gets it over 3k rpm...). I love the comfort of the 5 series and don't think MPPSK detracts from that.
  • WOT in SPORT plus (especially with the roof/windows open) is pretty loud. Still makes me smile when shifting down full throttle under a bridge and hearing the loud bang when getting off the accelerator.

Negatives:
  • The startup in the morning can be embarrassing if you have neighbours and leave early for work. Regardless of the mode you're in, the cold start is very loud. I believe you could code this out though.
  • Since the car's soundproofing is so good, the exhaust could be louder for me. Even in SPORT plus it remains very civilised unless you really step on its tail. Only reason I would not get a louder exhaust / decat is potential drone and losing the comfortable character. I love the current Jeckyll & Hyde setup.
  • Not sure if I really notice the additional power. Then again, I only had the car without MPPSK for a couple of months. I found it was powerful enough before, but I do use much more of its potential now that it makes an exciting sound.

Last edited by Max86; 06-06-2019 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I concur with what's said above. Noticeably noisier, especially on startup. If you need the car to be quiet in the morning, the MPE component isn't for you. We don't get the luxury of the Autobahn (sigh), so I can't say how much extra noise there is on fast cruise like that. In a high gear (i.e. 7th or 8th), low revs at around 120km/h the car is just as silent as it ever was and probably not a great deal of difference to what you're used to now. Certainly no drone.

You will notice a good jump in torque - even low down. If you're sensible on the gas, there isn't a giant gap in sound over the factory exhaust (a tad louder but not much). Open the taps however and from about 3,500 to the redline, the car has a totally new character with the MPPSK. There's a lot more snarl and aggression, with minor pops on upshift or when trailing the throttle holding gear. it's no V8 but still a good sounding engine for a six cylinder. Quite a noticeable bump in power - the kit really strikes a nice balance in my opinion to give the car both relaxed and sporty character as needed.

My only regret - is that I waited a year before getting the kit. Absolutely love it.

I guess if you don't want the exhaust, you could try one of the aftermarket chip tunes.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Tfb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 540xi f16 40d e70 30d

So as a owner of MPPSK. I dyno it and it has 350hp and 500nm... so for that price its stupidly worthless. Ok the exhaust is for me amazing but in 2-2.2k rpms it has little drone (ita around 140-160kph). Maib diference is in torque converter wich change characteristic of the car. Now i instaled dte systems box -dyno 410hp and 600nm for 1/4 of the price and it is night and day in aceleration. From 100-200 it droped form 12.8 to 11.3s. So if u need more power in quiet condition make a chiptuning or use a box wich will be set on a dyno. Sry for my eng but i hope u will understand main part above 180 wind noise makes its job and u cant hear ehxaust. 200-240 no drone as it hase aroubd 4-5k rpms

And i can agree with DBO its queit when u are gentle with gas oedal and much louder than stock under hard aceleration
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Crysis21
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540xi

Thank you very much guys, exactly the feedback I needed. Thank you Tfb for providing some feedback on the DTE solution. I used theirs on my 530D but I wanted to hear some feedback for the gas engine too.

I will add the DTE first and then the MPPSK if I feel the need for more power. DTE told me that I don't need to reflash the tunning box if I upgrade to MPPSK, as it's the same engine mapping for both configurations.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfb View Post
So as a owner of MPPSK. I dyno it and it has 350hp and 500nm... so for that price its stupidly worthless. Ok the exhaust is for me amazing but in 2-2.2k rpms it has little drone (ita around 140-160kph). Maib diference is in torque converter wich change characteristic of the car. Now i instaled dte systems box -dyno 410hp and 600nm for 1/4 of the price and it is night and day in aceleration. From 100-200 it droped form 12.8 to 11.3s. So if u need more power in quiet condition make a chiptuning or use a box wich will be set on a dyno. Sry for my eng but i hope u will understand main part above 180 wind noise makes its job and u cant hear ehxaust. 200-240 no drone as it hase aroubd 4-5k rpms

And i can agree with DBO its queit when u are gentle with gas oedal and much louder than stock under hard aceleration
After DTE , have you noticed any weird upshifs & hesitation/power cuts due to hitting transmission torque limits ?

I have seen lots of 340i owners with the ZF transmission having such complaints when tuned - either flash or piggyback.

Please share your experience

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Tfb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 540xi f16 40d e70 30d

Crysis of course u have to. It need adaptation. The main part of mppsk is new map with new torque converter, pops and burbles. Why it has 500nm instead of 450nm.

Emre i unfortunatellyi noticed mainy form 2nd to 3rd when i manually upshift. When u left in it s mode and go to the revlimiter everythibg is fine. Do u have any treads about that? I would like to find some interesting solutions
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfb View Post
Crysis of course u have to. It need adaptation. The main part of mppsk is new map with new torque converter, pops and burbles. Why it has 500nm instead of 450nm.

Emre i unfortunatellyi noticed mainy form 2nd to 3rd when i manually upshift. When u left in it s mode and go to the revlimiter everythibg is fine. Do u have any treads about that? I would like to find some interesting solutions
Thank you.
Check the F30 B58 forum, lots of threads and discussions about it.

There are transmission flashes already available, raising the torque limit so that it does not intervene anymore.

Users are happy with them, i just don't want to bother with a separate transmission flash. Looks like stage 1 flash tunes is the only way.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0