BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Lane-keeping assist worthless?

06-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

Lane-keeping assist worthless?

I’m referring to the car’s ability to automatically keep itself centered in the lane. I find instead that on the highway the car just ping-pongs from too far over left to too far over right. Does yours work better than mine? This is on a ‘19 540ixMsport. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
I’m referring to the car’s ability to automatically keep itself centered in the lane. I find instead that on the highway the car just ping-pongs from too far over left to too far over right. Does yours work better than mine? This is on a ‘19 540ixMsport. Thanks.
I really don't use it very often, but it did impress my brother when he was in town. I showed him how I can set the cruise control and then the car actually drives itself.

He's never been in a car that has that kind of capability before.

It seems to work fine for me, but honestly, since I only used it once or twice, there are probably others that can provide better feedback.
      06-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

It's a long known issue. If you search through the forum here you'll find plenty of chat about it. You need very good and clear road markings for the system to work well. I rarely switch it on anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The only good thing about it is that unllike some car makers, at least it is a simple on/off toggle on the steering wheel. But I think you are being generous in describing it as "automatic centering" as it never really centers the car. I use it rarely and only as an aid.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Lane Keep assist seems to work ok at faster speeds if the road has clearly striped markings with reflectors. I've also seen it get confused and wander across the lane like a drunk driver.

On city streets, I've had very mixed results. Sometimes it's almost comical what it does.

Active Cruise control is way better. Still, not perfect, as it sometimes doesn't see cars well if the road curves or in rainy weather. But on a relatively straight highway in good weather, ACC is very good.
      06-17-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I think it's only useful in slower speeds. Between the ping ponging and the inability to do turns well I find it nice but needs improvement. In slow traffic (stop and go) it's great. I don't bother with it at highway speeds but I do use the cruise control all the time.

I suspect the speed issue with maintaining the lane has to do with processing power and it will improve in future generations.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Don't have it, don't miss it. Another expensive trick that is half baked at best.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Are you sure you are using Lane Keeping Assist? I don't have any issues with it. You probably need your LKA calibrated by the dealer if you can't get it work consistently.

Lane Departure Warning on the other hand bounces people from one side of a lane to other side.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #9
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Are you sure you are using Lane Keeping Assist? I don't have any issues with it. You probably need your LKA calibrated by the dealer if you can't get it work consistently.

Lane Departure Warning on the other hand bounces people from one side of a lane to other side.
+1.

I don't have any issues with it and everyone I've had in the car is amazed. I do have clear lane markings where I live which I do agree is vital. Without clear lane markings, I imagine I wouldn't have as good of results.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      06-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Quote:

+1.

I don't have any issues with it and everyone I've had in the car is amazed. I do have clear lane markings where I live which I do agree is vital. Without clear lane markings, I imagine I wouldn't have as good of results.
Most US roads don't have clear markings

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I just checked and I had the "intervention" button clicked on for lane warning. I just turned it off and have been testing it on a short ride home. Seems to keep the car centered using the lane assistant once I turned it off. But I will have to test it some more during the next couple of days to see if that did the trick.

Thank you ADS-UK.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      06-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Most US roads don't have clear markings
I agree. Most are suboptimal in regards to the road itself needing repairs or the lack of clear markings. I'm fortunate that the roads I take to and from the hospital are better than your average US road which accounts for over half my driving.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Road markings are needed for the car to use the lines. But it does also follow the car in front. It does it well. I have an x5 without lane keep and a g30 with. Whenever I drive the x 5 I subconsciously get caught out when the car doesn't keep to the lane as well. It's coz I'm so used to it in the g30 now.

At night it works better than daylight. Specially direct sunlight onto the front.

I'd order it again every time. It's only going to get better.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I just checked and I had the "intervention" button clicked on for lane warning. I just turned it off and have been testing it on a short ride home. Seems to keep the car centered using the lane assistant once I turned it off. But I will have to test it some more during the next couple of days to see if that did the trick.

Thank you ADS-UK.
I turned the steering intervention off early, after it tried to steer me left in a fast right hand corner because I brushed the inside white line at the apex......very dangerous intervention! I agree, my LKA works pretty well, although I don't use it very much. Beware, however, as you enter an intersection, where it becomes pretty clueless without the consistent markings. Guess that's why you always have to have your hands on the wheel? Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #15
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Mine seems to work fine. I do notice that if I'm following another car, it will either work much better or worse depending on what the car in front is doing. It seems to average out the lead-car behavior plus whatever lane markers it can see - sometimes this keeps it very centered, sometimes it leads to a bit of floating back and forth.

I've never had the ping-pong issue others describe, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #16
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Mine seems to work fine. I do notice that if I'm following another car, it will either work much better or worse depending on what the car in front is doing. It seems to average out the lead-car behavior plus whatever lane markers it can see - sometimes this keeps it very centered, sometimes it leads to a bit of floating back and forth.

I've never had the ping-pong issue others describe, though.
When the car is in TJA mode, it will prioritise lane markings over following the vehicle in front. If there aren't any lane markings, it'll simply follow the one ahead.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

So are you saying that you press BOTH buttons, the little speedo button for ACC, and the little steering wheel button for TJA?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So are you saying that you press BOTH buttons, the little speedo button for ACC, and the little steering wheel button for TJA?
Yes but be aware that in pressing the steering wheel button you are doing much more than just activating TJA -- you are activating the lane assistant.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Another way to think of it
"Steering wheel button" on = lane assist
At 37(or is it 43mph?) and below it becomes tja and will lock on to the car in front if feasible prioritising as previously mentioned lane markings or failing that referencing the car in front.

The transition is seamless depending upon your sped at the time.

The dash and or HUD will tell you what it has acquired. Lanes that are green have been identified. Lanes in grey have not been detected.
Green steering wheel means locked on to car in front.

Once you've used it , it will be obvious.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
gooselee162.00
      06-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #20
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

I drove an XC90 once so I am underwhelmed at BMW's feature - as the XC90 was dang near autopilot.

So here's how it works - and why you might appreciate some ping-ponging. The technology does 2 things - if the steering wheel is green (and the lanes aren't) it merely senses the car ahead of you and stays in-line with that.

If it can read the lane markers, it will use those (and I believe in conjunction with the car ahead of you).

So I believe it is best when there is a car in front of you and good lane markers.

I haven't found it useful for highway speed driving, rather very useful with stop and go traffic on the highway.

I do like though, it's ability to steer you off the line if you have that enabled.

All in all, out of 10, I'd give the feature a 6 at best.
Appreciate 0