BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Can you charge the Display Key wirelessly in a Faraday bag?

10-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #1
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Can you charge the Display Key wirelessly in a Faraday bag?

Not sure about the US, but here in the UK a lot of BMWs are being stolen without the keys by boosting the signal from the key inside the house. So I put the keys in a Faraday bag to block the signal. However, my new 5 series has a Display Key and as I don't drive the car for up to 2 weeks at a time I will need to charge it.

My thought is to put a QI wireless charging pad inside the Faraday bag along with the key. Question is - will this work?
      10-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Shepway
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xdrive

If you turn the key on and then unlock it, hold the side button and that will turn it off, mine last for well over a week like this.

Not sure if you are aware, but if the battery does die you can still use the key to unlock/lock/boot and start the car.
Appreciate 0