BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G31 Touring automatic trunk cover stuck

06-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #23
nomisnomis
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
I have a late 2017 G31 and had the same issue in the first weeks. I returned it to the dealer who either installed new software or re-installed the existing, but since then I have not had a single re-occurrence
Great - good to know, thanks FMIB!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:54 AM   #24
Aachener
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring (G31)

Hi everyone! I just joined the forum, so pleased to meet you and I hope I can enjoy and learn a lot being part of this.

As a first step, I would like to help some of you with this problem with the automatic trunk cover in the G31. It happened to me as well two or three times and it is quite easy to solve by yourself, there is no need to go back to the dealer.

The way the car knows that the cover has been completely deployed is a sensor (I guess something like a magnet) in the left rail of it (right in the end of the slope, in the apex from where you have to manually remove the cover if you wished to take the cover off).

When the cover loses this setting point (because something inside the trunk did not allow it to reach it) you just need to manually move the cover during few seconds (maybe 5, maybe 40), putting in contact the cilindrical stick of the cover that rolls inside the rail within that apex, touching it. After some seconds, the magnet recognizes again the cover and both "plastic things" that were stuck in the middle way of the rails will move completely up and down. You can now place again the cover and it will come to the top of the trunk and will work as it used to.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #25
yekaj
Registered
Rep
Drives: E31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephistocles View Post
Solution-

Very simple but took a while to work it out.

With the boot open, pull the boot cover towards you until the stansions slide out of the grooves so that there is no pressure on the moving parts.

Now, with the easy access window open but the rest of the boot closed, hit the remote key close button and the moving parts will retract allowing you to put the boot cover stansions in the grooves again and the system is reset.

If this doesn't work try starting and stopping the engine and opening and closing the boot before the above.

I discovered it on holiday after bringing too much booze back from France. It's actually a proper design feature that the cover will lock with too much pressure so that a) the moving parts don't break b) it's by product is useful in that the cover can hold your stuff in place (although probably not it's primary design)

Thanks Mephistocles - worked for me

I also tried Aachener's fix but no joy in my case.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 03:57 AM   #26
phrede
Rep
Drives: G31 520d Touring Sport Line

This worked perfectly for me! MANY thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aachener View Post
Hi everyone! I just joined the forum, so pleased to meet you and I hope I can enjoy and learn a lot being part of this.

As a first step, I would like to help some of you with this problem with the automatic trunk cover in the G31. It happened to me as well two or three times and it is quite easy to solve by yourself, there is no need to go back to the dealer.

The way the car knows that the cover has been completely deployed is a sensor (I guess something like a magnet) in the left rail of it (right in the end of the slope, in the apex from where you have to manually remove the cover if you wished to take the cover off).

When the cover loses this setting point (because something inside the trunk did not allow it to reach it) you just need to manually move the cover during few seconds (maybe 5, maybe 40), putting in contact the cilindrical stick of the cover that rolls inside the rail within that apex, touching it. After some seconds, the magnet recognizes again the cover and both "plastic things" that were stuck in the middle way of the rails will move completely up and down. You can now place again the cover and it will come to the top of the trunk and will work as it used to.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #27
DGM486
Rep
Drives: 530d

Hi Aachener,

Holding the load cover at the bottom of its travel for 5 seconds worked perfectly! Been driving me nuts that it wouldn’t reset. So simple when you know how. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Great thread! Not my issue so I didn't participate but meaningfully useful information was provided by our members.

This is what a forum like ours should be all about.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #29
Aachener
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring (G31)

Happy to know the info was usefyl, guys.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
LucaS67
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 530d Xdrive Touring

Hi
Very very useful page, but I tried both the Mephistocles and Aachener tricks without success.
I patiently waited minutes with the Cover pulled to extremity of rails but first the stops roll up to end, I release cover to top and it scrolls down back to middle where it’s been stuck for past three weeks.
Than I tried with Mephistocles’s alchemy, opened back easy access window without opening booth, hit the closing button on keys, nothing happens.

I had also electric roof losing its zero point, it did not close to end, but in this case I followed instructions on manual and by clicking the electric roof button for 15 secs it runs a cycle all open / all close that resets the system and it was ok.

Bmw dealer is closed for summer holidays, anybody with other possible solutions?

Thanks in advance for helping!
Luca
BMW G31 530d Xdrive 2017
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #31
G31LUKAS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D XDRIVE G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomisnomis View Post
Resurrecting this old thread...

Is this still happening for many people? This keeps happening on my late 2017 G31, last time it did it the boot was actually empty, the cover just seemed to stop 2/3 down - it's been stuck like that for a week now.. Has anyone confirmed recent software updates resolve this?

I've previously fixed it by trying various combinations buttons/boot/east access window opening closing, but nothing this time, it looks like a visit to the garage is due, will push to get a S/W update done at the some time if it looks like this has been resolved in a newer version..

mephistocles unfortunately your suggestion not getting me anywhere here..

I have the same thing on my June 2017 g31. Been to the dealer many times, but they don't have a solution...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #32
PhilT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d Touring

Same luggage cover problem

Hi, thank you all for posting on this thread. I have the same problem on my 2018 G31 touring. I took it to the dealer where they updated the software but the problem came back. The cover sometimes retracts properly but sometimes not ! Took it back to the dealer and their suggestion is to replace the control unit or drive because they think the motor is being overloaded - I am not convinced this is the answer. Did anyone else here have the drive/ control unit replaced and did that solve the problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 04:27 PM   #33
bobteasdale
Registered
Rep
Drives: G31 530d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aachener View Post

I tried this method and it worked after about 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 12:42 AM   #34
graylong
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90, F30, G31

What does the rail tip look like?

Just bought a 2020 G31, it came with the parcel tray, (but it wasn't fitted).

I fitted the assembly, but when i slip it into the rails, it just slides all the way to the top... I see the mechanism behind the rail go back n forth, but I suspect a little clip or whatver that holds the cylindrical rod in the rail is missing. Does anyone have a photo of what it should look like?

Thanks
Appreciate 0