BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Dilemma

09-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #1
KresKro
Rep
Drives: BMW 520xD M sport

Dilemma

Hi everyone,

In May 2019 I have bought my first BMW, a 520d x-drive M sport with all the option except the multi contour seats.
Since I bought it I had only one problem with it and that are the seats (M seats) themselves, they are simply unbearable.

An opportunity to sell the car closely to the price I've paid for it has appeared and right now I am in bit of a dilemma.

As I do truly love the car for its handling, technology and everything else (I turn around twice after I lock it) now I am thinking what should I buy after I sell it.
I would love to have the hybrid and this is where I need your help.

The options are:
1. 530e - previous generation (not the updated one in 2019) with all the options
2. 530e - new generation with some options
3. 530e x-drive - new generation with not a lot of options
4. 520d / 520d x-drive - probably I could find one with all the options
5. The LCI with very little options

My question for you is:
Is the difference between 530e first and second generation notable? As in what is the realistic difference in the range?
What is the range in both of them to begin with? What is the consumption of the 2.0 petrol engine in the 530e?
With my 520d I do around 1000 kilometres on a tank which is tremendous...
I mostly commute around 30-40 kilometres a day.

I am thinking out loud here with all the options for a new car, trying to find the best solution.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

You probably won't get the entire commute covered in pure electric mode with the original 530e but you probably won't get it done with the LCI version either.

I have the 2018 version and I don't think I am missing anything important. If it comes down to a pre LCI model with lots of options and a post LCI model with few options, I would go for the pre LCI version. Many of the options make the car: multicontour seats; adaptive lights; and to me: nappa upholstery.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
You'll need to clarify for us what you mean by "530e - New Generation"?

I'll offer what I understand to be the 530e "generations" as you're describing them in case they align with what you're thinking and I'll offer my opinion from this base:

2017-2019: 530e Initial "Generation" with the launch specs in terms of battery size, range, etc.
2020: 530e "New Generation" is pretty much the same as the initial generation with the change to iDrive 7 and a larger battery for increased range.
2021+: 530e "LCI" has "full" iDrive 7, but the same size battery as MY2020 and a slightly increased HP output due to EV overdrive. There may be a range reduction due to the HP increase, but no one has shared details yet on impacts here. LCI is also more expensive (at least in the US) than previous model years compared to the ICE version so you'll have a longer ROI point.

There is a noticeable increase in range between the MY2020 and previous 530e model years as the battery was improved from 9Wh to 12Wh (or a bit over 30% increase).

For me, I get ~20 miles in pure EV mode on my 530e, but I'm in the US so my battery "capacity" is reduced compared to what you'd have in the EU. Although the battery size is the same they limit the usable range in the US to increase battery longevity due to the increased warranty period (as much as 10Y in the US depending on state). I'd imagine 25-30 miles range in Europe, but perhaps a EU 530e owner can chime in here.

If you're running from full tank + full charge I'd say you can get around 400 miles on a full tank. But that's assuming a road trip with no charging along the way. If you're asking about commuting it will depend on a few factors. If you're able to charge at home and charge at work that commute will likely never use any gas. If it does it will use so little you'll probably go a few thousand miles on a tank.

That being said, some users here really love their Diesels and I've never owned one so I can't say how jarring the transition would be. For me, I love my 530e as it checks every box I needed checked and is a joy to drive. So I wouldn't hesitate to grab one. Especially if you can at least charge at home regularly. The more you charge the better the car is.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
KresKro
Rep
Drives: BMW 520xD M sport

LogicalApex - you got it right. I've been talking about the updated. 12kwh battery model.

You've pretty much explained all I wanted to know.

A few more things I'd like to know about:
1. How long does the charging realistically take?
2. What is the consumption of the petrol engine? As the tank is 46 litres I'm trying to figure out what the range on only petrol would be..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KresKro View Post
LogicalApex - you got it right. I've been talking about the updated. 12kwh battery model.

2. What is the consumption of the petrol engine? As the tank is 46 litres I'm trying to figure out what the range on only petrol would be..

Thanks!
I have a Nov 2019 car so upgraded battery. I regularly achieve 25 miles + electric range. It takes about 3.5 hours using a home charge pod. When the electric is drained the car says it’s doing about 40 mpg. A really informative and independent site will give you all the info you need on the previous and current 530e -

Updated model (so same as LCI in terms of electric range etc) https://ev-database.uk/car/1213/BMW-530e-Saloon

Previous model https://ev-database.uk/car/1111/BMW-530e-iPerformance
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KresKro View Post

Thanks!
It will depend on your setup for charging. I don't think you have 120V in the EU, but I don't know for certain. When I charged using 120V on the included cable in the car set to "high" it was 10-12 hours before it was full. On 240V it charges from flat to full in under 3 hours.

The consumption on gas will vary a fair bit on driving style, conditions, and settings. Although that is true even for the EV mode. So you'll burn more fuel in Sport Mode and more fuel with the AC on that not and all that jazz. Sport Mode is surprisingly efficient though as it will dial in a more aggressive brake regenerative setting that is only set in Sport Mode.

If you're not driving for some level of efficiency I'd say ~35-40MPG is a realistic consumption to expect from ICE if you're on the highway mostly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"If you're not driving for some level of efficiency I'd say ~35-40MPG is a realistic consumption to expect from ICE if you're on the highway mostly."

I drive with a bit of a lead foot. On a trip from Phoenix to Las Vegas I charged before leaving and filled the gas tank. Upon arriving I filled the gas tank again. Driving all highway speed at around 75 mph or so, I got 32 mpg (on the older 2018 model). So with a bit of careful driving you should be able to get to around 40 if that is your goal.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #8
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Having owned a very basic spec G30 520d and now driving a G31 520d with almost all options, I would go for the one with most options. I loved my G30, but kept thinking of the things I really wanted it to have (ACC, ambient light, sat-nav, digital dash, comfort access, ICON lights etc.)