BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Official Road Cycling Thread

05-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #815
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I went into a bike store today to pick up some shoes and Wifey came with me. While I was talking to the sales rep, she was scoping out bikes. Tonight she says, "Some of those bikes were $1500. How much was yours?" I'm like, "Well we talked about this, didn't we? Mine was (mumble, mumble, mumble) around 5 grand." (Ok, that was base price, but whatever.)

Wifey says, "5 grand?!!? Ok, so for my 5 grand I want a vacation to Hawaii this year."

I'm thinking win/win.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
mc-m3204.00
      05-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #816
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I went into a bike store today to pick up some shoes and Wifey came with me. While I was talking to the sales rep, she was scoping out bikes. Tonight she says, "Some of those bikes were $1500. How much was yours?" I'm like, "Well we talked about this, didn't we? Mine was (mumble, mumble, mumble) around 5 grand." (Ok, that was base price, but whatever.)

Wifey says, "5 grand?!!? Ok, so for my 5 grand I want a vacation to Hawaii this year."

I'm thinking win/win.
It certainly could have gone worse haha. Although, I hide even the cost of most of my road shoes too, never mind the cost of the bike!
      05-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #817
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc503 View Post
It certainly could have gone worse haha. Although, I hide even the cost of most of my road shoes too, never mind the cost of the bike!
And bib shorts. She was shocked at the $150 price tag for the bib shorts I wanted. Non-riders don't understand the need for quality gear.

Luckily Wifey is pretty cool with expenditures as long as I don't bug her about her spending and we can pay off the cc every month. She's happy as hell that I've lost a ton of weight because of the cycling, so it's money well spent as far as she's concerned. And a trip to Hawaii? I can do that. No sweat.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #818
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Honing in on a very fast road bike that will be used for a gym commute 5-miles each way, hopefully I’ll be using it in rain and salted roads.

A review for the Trek Madone 9.0 talks about a pressed in bottom bracket that can be high maintenance. I’m o.k. with the pricing but I’m concerned about dirt causing bottom bracket issues, should I consider a different bike ?

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/trek...isingly-comfy/
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #819
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

That review is on the Madone 9.5, which has the Di2 upgrade from the 9.0.

I was considering the 9.0, but I wanted the Di2 set. I couldn't justify the extra cash for the 9.5, so I went with the Domane SL7. Not as sleek looking, but still gets the job done. The Di2 is awesome. The difference between that and the standard cable shifting on my Crossrip is huge.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #820
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That review is on the Madone 9.5, which has the Di2 upgrade from the 9.0.

I was considering the 9.0, but I wanted the Di2 set. I couldn't justify the extra cash for the 9.5, so I went with the Domane SL7. Not as sleek looking, but still gets the job done. The Di2 is awesome. The difference between that and the standard cable shifting on my Crossrip is huge.
What gear components were/are on your Crossrip?
I’m reluctant to go Di2 mainly because I’ve been out of biking for a long time and don’t even know what questions to ask about electro shifting. I need to research the Ultegra groupset.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #821
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I’m reluctant to go Di2 mainly because I’ve been out of biking for a long time and don’t even know what questions to ask about electro shifting.
I hear that! I'm still running downtube shifters. Except for my cross bike which has bar ends.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #822
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Question for you guys. My wife and I are moving to Colorado from TN. We recently visited and noticed all the bike paths all over the place and are interested in getting bikes. We would want them for mainly sidewalks and some dirt bike paths (nothing crazy). Online a lot of places said maybe a "gravel/road bike"? Can you get a decent bike for under $500?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #823
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What gear components were/are on your Crossrip?
I’m reluctant to go Di2 mainly because I’ve been out of biking for a long time and don’t even know what questions to ask about electro shifting. I need to research the Ultegra groupset.
This is the Crossrip I have. Scroll down for the specs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rip-1/p/17334/

The Di2 is completely customizable as far as shifting goes. I have mine set just the away manual shifting works. The switch from manual to electronic was seamless. And the Di2 has a great semi-auto mode that switches the rear gears up or down 2 cogs depending on how I shift the front. If I go from the large ring to the small in front, the rear shifts automatically to put me in the appropriate gear so I'm not suddenly spinning air. It's slick as hell on hills. Well worth the investment.

Take a good look at the Domane SL7. It's not as aero as the Madone, but I think the Di2 will be more beneficial to you than the aerodynamics. And it's still a very light bike.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #824
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Question for you guys. My wife and I are moving to Colorado from TN. We recently visited and noticed all the bike paths all over the place and are interested in getting bikes. We would want them for mainly sidewalks and some dirt bike paths (nothing crazy). Online a lot of places said maybe a "gravel/road bike"? Can you get a decent bike for under $500?
Lots to consider here. My first bike was a Trek Verve 2.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

It was fine for light road work and solid trails, but you wouldn't take it on a mountain bike trail. It's in that price range. It has straight handlebars instead of drops and thumb shifters. I quickly outgrew it and sold it, then bought a Crossrip 1, which was twice the price but more road oriented.

It all depends on your preferences, which may change quickly after you start riding. I wanted to go longer and faster, so I moved up to a more dedicated road bike. Other folks decide they'd rather do more trails, so they switch to mountain bikes. It's really hard to know ahead of time what kind of riding you'll like best sometimes.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #825
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This is the Crossrip I have. Scroll down for the specs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rip-1/p/17334/

The Di2 is completely customizable as far as shifting goes. I have mine set just the away manual shifting works. The switch from manual to electronic was seamless. And the Di2 has a great semi-auto mode that switches the rear gears up or down 2 cogs depending on how I shift the front. If I go from the large ring to the small in front, the rear shifts automatically to put me in the appropriate gear so I'm not suddenly spinning air. It's slick as hell on hills. Well worth the investment.

Take a good look at the Domane SL7. It's not as aero as the Madone, but I think the Di2 will be more beneficial to you than the aerodynamics. And it's still a very light bike.
All day I’ve been looking at the Domane online and am pretty much sold on the Di2.
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #826
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All day I’ve been looking at the Domane online and am pretty much sold on the Di2.
Thanks for the help.
Cool. Once you've experienced the Di2, you'll never go back to cable shift.

Also, on the Domane setup with Di2, you have hidden buttons on top of the horns that you can set to shift screens on your Garmin or change gears or whatever. They're very configurable. I have mine set to change Garmin screens.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      05-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #827
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Is this just crazy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.5b52d66501ba
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #828
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Strava "Flybys." Anyone else using Strava who crosses your path will show up. But they have to set their profile to Public and both riders have to be using Strava. I pass other riders all the time who don't show up as Flybys because they don't use Strava or they have their profile set to Private.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #829
m2_wolf
Rep
Drives: M2

Ditto on Di2. I have it on all my road bikes since 2010 and would never go back!

I found it a little less awesome on the 1x mtb though.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #830
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Had a pit bull run into my rear wheel at speed today. I don't how I didn't crash because he broke some spokes and skewed my wheel all out of line. That same dog bit another rider earlier today. This has been the fourth incident of dog biting or collisions this week among the group of folks I ride with. It's getting ridiculous. Time to start carrying pepper spray or some sort of lightweight, telescoping rod.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #831
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Being 'old school' equipped, I have an air pump on my bike. I've wielded it more than once, even struck the occasional blow.

I once scored a direct hit on a shepherd's schnoz right next to a trailer that had a half dozen Harleys parked in front of it. I was listening for motorcycles the rest of the ride!

We also used to do a lot of riding in 'horse country', expensive rural neighborhoods with lots of gentleman farms and fields where folks did a fair bit of horseback riding. I came up on a dog in that area, reached for the pump and raised it in preparation. To my surprise the dog turned around and ran straight off. I concluded that the poor animal had encountered a few riding crops in the past.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #832
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Think heard a story about cougar killing a mountain bike rider in Issaquah area friday.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #833
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Think heard a story about cougar killing a mountain bike rider in Issaquah area friday.
Yeah, very hungry cougar meets defenseless mountain biker. Wrong place at the wrong time.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #834
dc503
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
This actually occurred in my neighborhood! It was interesting to hear a lot of the local chatter on this as it developed. As a sidebar, the whole scenario is actually one of the reasons I dislike multi purpose trails.
      05-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #835
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Long, hot ride today. This is a typical road here. Straight as a chalk line and no relief from the wind.
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 10:35 PM   #836
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Where's that
Appreciate 0