BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Center Cap Removal - Battle of the Titans: Duct Tape vs Suction Cup Lifter

01-25-2021, 03:40 AM   #1
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Center Cap Removal - Battle of the Titans: Duct Tape vs Suction Cup Lifter

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just swapped out the OEM center caps for carbon fiber floating center caps and figured I would share my experience on removing the center caps in case anyone was wondering or seeking out how best to do it. Searching the forums and Googling possible answers was pretty straightforward but I did see a mix of answers/options, so I thought I'd just drop some notes real quick to save others time.

How difficult is it to remove the center caps? Not difficult at all unless you get one that's being a bit stubborn for some odd reason. One a scale of 1-10, this is a .5. It should take you less than 5 minutes to complete everything.

When searching online for methods to remove the center caps you will namely come across these options:
  1. Gently wedging with a screw driver/small knife/etc
  2. Remove the wheels and pop them out from the inside
  3. Pull off with duct tape
  4. Use a suction cup lifter/puller

I'll start off and tell you, do not even think about #1. Just move on. For #2 -- this is surely a solid method, but unless your wheels are already off the car or coming off for some other reason, it would be absurd to take your wheels of for this task given the ease of the next two options. This brings us to #3 and #4. Our clash of the titans. These are two solid options you should look at. However, there is one clear victor, so read on...

The contenders:

Name:  the_titans.jpg
Views: 4200
Size:  200.9 KB

This is a battle of duct tape vs a 2-1/4 in. Suction Cup Lifter. I hope you are familiar with duct tap. I'm not going to bother with brand, a link to buy, or anything like that. You probably have some already and if you don't it's like $3-5 at your local hardware store for 50 yards of it. As for the Suction Cup Lifter, it's only $1.99 at Harbor Freight. I found the size from a video posted on one of these forums that shows a similar one being used to pop up the center caps from a Telsa.

Here's the one I used (pictured above):

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-14-i...-lb-57498.html

I set out to see which of these two methods worked and was the easiest. This is not the most scientific of methods, but I'll detail how it went down. First -- wipe the center caps down to make sure they are clean before attempting anything.

Round 1

Driver-side Rear - Used the suction puller and on the first try it popped right out.

Round 2

Driver-side Front - Used the suction cup several times. Nothing budged. Took a single piece of duct tape, pressed it down a good bit. Nothing. We'll come back soon...

Round 3

Passenger Rear - Used the suction puller. Had to readjust 5-6 times. Finally popped out.

Round 4

Passenger Front - Used two pieces of duct tape to ensure coverage over the center cap. Pressed it down firmly around the cap.. pulled.. great success. Super quick.

Round 5

Driver Front -- Returning to the driver side with my vast experience and wisdom of 3 minutes of other intense work on the passenger side. This time I now used two pieces of duct tape against and pressed it around firmly all around the cap.. pulled.. popped out without issues.

Name:  suckit.jpg
Views: 4272
Size:  102.7 KBName:  duckit.jpg
Views: 4065
Size:  197.6 KB

The Winner

In the end I would say the winner is Duct Tape. It's super easy and very consistent. You just need to make sure you have good coverage over the center cap and make sure it's firmly pressed down / nicely adhering to the center cap and just yank. You could probably rock all of the center caps off in like 30 seconds or less if you did a speed run. The suction cup puller is not consistent enough and ran into issues with a stubborn center cap. There you have it!

Name:  removed.jpg
Views: 4134
Size:  139.9 KB

This is as straightforward as it gets but if you have questions let me know. I'd be glad to make use my vast experience and expertise on this matter to assist.
Appreciate 2
hoyas490131.50
      01-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Picture of new cap??
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
crypto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Picture of new cap??
Here we are.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
HeatJoey1220.00
      01-25-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Here we are.
My OCD is killing me. the cap needs rotated 180 degrees so it is same way up as the small msport badge
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadz View Post
Quote:
Here we are.
My OCD is killing me. the cap needs rotated 180 degrees so it is same way up as the small msport badge
It's a floating cap. It rotates to make it sit upright. So even if you align it with the M badge, on the first revolution it's already off.

I used a small screwdriver. Took about 3 seconds to take off each cap. Just use the screwdriver to push the cap to the opposite side and give enough of a gap to be able to wedge the tip of the screwdriver in. Then simply lift and it pops out.
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      01-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
It's a floating cap. It rotates to make it sit upright. So even if you align it with the M badge, on the first revolution it's already off.

I used a small screwdriver. Took about 3 seconds to take off each cap. Just use the screwdriver to push the cap to the opposite side and give enough of a gap to be able to wedge the tip of the screwdriver in. Then simply lift and it pops out.
apologies - did not realise it was a floating cap. I was looking at them recently but my OCD (which I have clearly shown) will not live with it!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadz View Post
Quote:

apologies - did not realise it was a floating cap. I was looking at them recently but my OCD (which I have clearly shown) will not live with it!
My OCD to have the caps always stand up straight beat my OCD to match them to the little wheel emblem.

I do like how they look overall as well. I did go with the OEM/blue ones because I wanted to match the other bits/pieces of white/blue, otherwise I would need to change all other emblems as well... needless to say if you change everything, it's extremely costly to go black/white.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #8
crypto
Rep

Quote:

Hah you are braver than me. I thought about putting tap on a box cutter or tiny screw driver but I said no way. The odds of it going wrong for me and scratching the rim even if I was pulling up/away from the wheel were just too high. Didn't want to risk it even if it was likely easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #9
crypto
Rep

Quote:
My OCD to have the caps always stand up straight beat my OCD to match them to the little wheel emblem.

I do like how they look overall as well. I did go with the OEM/blue ones because I wanted to match the other bits/pieces of white/blue, otherwise I would need to change all other emblems as well... needless to say if you change everything, it's extremely costly to go black/white.
I changed my trunk and hood emblems to the same black/carbon fiber -- so the outside if all consistent. I don't plan to change/touch the color of the M550i badge. The cerium gray on the emblem matches the wheel nicely so it works for me and I'm OK with the standard M color not being black.

I didn't want this post to be about the floating caps per se -- so I didn't focus much on showing it in the original. However, I don't know wtf is wrong but like 3 of my 4 floating caps dont really float. I've removed them and put back in 5 times. It's like once it's on.. it's too tight for it to move. But take them.. is just fine. I can't imagine how one could install them wrong.. they just pop in. If I take them out and spin all around.. once installed.. stuck. I can't figure out what's wrong though if you happen to have any tips or ran into this with yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I changed my trunk and hood emblems to the same black/carbon fiber -- so the outside if all consistent. I don't plan to change/touch the color of the M550i badge. The cerium gray on the emblem matches the wheel nicely so it works for me and I'm OK with the standard M color not being black.

I didn't want this post to be about the floating caps per se -- so I didn't focus much on showing it in the original. However, I don't know wtf is wrong but like 3 of my 4 floating caps dont really float. I've removed them and put back in 5 times. It's like once it's on.. it's too tight for it to move. But take them.. is just fine. I can't imagine how one could install them wrong.. they just pop in. If I take them out and spin all around.. once installed.. stuck. I can't figure out what's wrong though if you happen to have any tips or ran into this with yours.
Are these OEM? Perhaps there was a quality issue in those 3?

I have the OEM ones and they all float quite well, but they were installed by BMW at the port. I skipped the M-Sport package so they fit my wheels very well and I'm happy with them. They solve the one OCD thing I get hit with the most. The logo being in a different spot on each wheel!

Name:  IMG_0691.jpeg
Views: 3978
Size:  450.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

There are different floating hub caps for different sized wheels. Did you use your vin to get them?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Mine float, no issues. I'm assuming you got the 56mm ones, otherwise I don't think the 68mm would even remotely fit...

See if IND can help. It's odd that they don't work well (it's just a counterweight from the looks of it). Maybe buy a standard set from your dealer and see if those work the same (just make sure you have the ability to return them if they don't).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
crypto
Rep

Yea got 56mm ones from iND. Already in touch but not sure what the resolution will be yet. Hoping there's something I'm doing dumb but I can't come up with anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine float, no issues. I'm assuming you got the 56mm ones, otherwise I don't think the 68mm would even remotely fit...

See if IND can help. It's odd that they don't work well (it's just a counterweight from the looks of it). Maybe buy a standard set from your dealer and see if those work the same (just make sure you have the ability to return them if they don't).
If they are OEM the dealer should swap them for free if they are defective in manufacturing. Even if not purchased at that dealer. Just an FYI as the caps are pricey for what they do.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #15
Dobie Dog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M Comp

Quote:
Yea got 56mm ones from iND. Already in touch but not sure what the resolution will be yet. Hoping there's something I'm doing dumb but I can't come up with anything.
Following. Same issue with 1.
      01-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #16
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
I'd be glad to make use my vast experience and expertise on this matter to assist.
LOL, I can't believe you took the time and went into that level of detail for something so simple. I want to thank you though, for:

1) Not spelling it "duck tape" and
b) not doing it all on Youtube and creating clickbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Just an FYI as the caps are pricey for what they do.
True that. I'll sell my set to anyone that wants them.

BTW, I used a plastic trim removal tool. Works like a screwdriver but without marring the finish. Sorry, no pics. But I do have a great video here! Don't worry, it's work safe, very short, and I won't ask you to subscribe.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 04:15 AM   #17
mgorman87
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
LOL, I can't believe you took the time and went into that level of detail for something so simple. I want to thank you though, for:

1) Not spelling it "duck tape" and
b) not doing it all on Youtube and creating clickbait

True that. I'll sell my set to anyone that wants them.

BTW, I used a plastic trim removal tool. Works like a screwdriver but without marring the finish. Sorry, no pics. But I do have a great video here! Don't worry, it's work safe, very short, and I won't ask you to subscribe.
How much? Are they in good condition?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
nisam
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i

This
https://www.homedepot.com/p/302435929
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:14 AM   #19
BMWKLG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M550i

Great information. Duct tape it is. My floating caps come in on Tuesday so I can't wait to do this. 👍🏾
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #20
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman87 View Post
How much? Are they in good condition?
They are in great condition. About 10K miles on the car, they've been on it for most of that time. I wash the car weekly when I drive it. $75

Didn't drive it much last year: lockdown.

I had a for sale thread somewhere, but I can't find it.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0