BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum DIY Discussions / Guides / Instructions Changing the gear knob

11-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

Changing the gear knob

Anyone try doing this crazy mod? upgrading teh standard gear knob for the m5 one?
Attached Images

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Check this video this guy retrofitted it mate
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
If it doesn't included programming I don't know why you'd bother, just get an M5.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Mosaud19983890.00
      12-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
If it doesn't included programming I don't know why you'd bother, just get an M5.
Agreed. Never been a fan of transplant or frankencars. If you really crave the M5 shifter, just get the real thing.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Kosmic
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

https://kremersino.com/11-gear-shift...-series-x3-x4/
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

I'm curious about the crystal shift know:

Has anyone installed it ?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduron10 View Post
I'm curious about the crystal shift know:

Has anyone installed it ?
Cheesy option in my opinion

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #8
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Cheesy option in my opinion
Maybe but I've driven an X5 with it and I really liked how it felt/looked.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 03:18 AM   #9
Iron-nerve
Rep
Drives: BMW G30, BMW F15

Not installed it but contemplating with the idea of going ahead with the crystal Knob. Few on these knocking around on ebay including the Crystal start stop button.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #10
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Must admit the crystal shifter looks cheesy in images, but in real life it looks alright.
Passable as long as there's only 1 fake crystal piece in the car. Looks chavvy when its plastered to half the interior dials.

It aint cheap either. Just had a search; £400 is the lowest I could find on AliExpress (china).

Last edited by mittu; 02-06-2021 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:00 AM   #11
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittu View Post
Must admit the crystal shifter looks cheesy in images, but in real life it looks alright.
Passable as long as there's only 1 fake crystal piece in the car. Looks chavvy when its plastered to half the interior dials.

It aint cheap either. Just had a search; £400 is the lowest I could find on AliExpress (china).
I would be worried about the quality, as it has some electronics in it and I don't know if it would work like OE does.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:00 AM   #12
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

Quote:
I've ordered one. Should be here in 2wks. Got to be careful as there are many variations for F and G model cars. At least 3 different variations for G model cars. Below are the ones I've come across.

The cheapst one does not display drive letters (d,n,r, etc.). Contains 1 pcb inside. Theyre ok for cars where drive letters aren't on the gear knob such as the new 3 series. When searching online these are the most common. Its also the same type shown in the video posted further up the thread. Can be had for less than £200.

Then there are 2 others that do show drive letters. One similar to the quality above, where the letters are displayed in a cross pattern. Contains 2 PCBs, of which one is the same as above shifter. Can be had for £300

And the third type I've come across seems to be of better build quality where the drive letters are arranged in the normal layout and change colour when selected. Also contains 2 PCBs inside, but are different to the above. Best suited for the g30. These sell for £350.

On eBay they're overpriced. If you search hard enough on aliexpress, you'll occasionally see them on sale, even the more expensive one,which I paid only £200.

The installation is also different depending on which you pick. One of them is a simple swap of the gear knob, where as others requires you to take the gear shifter module out and partially disassemble it.

When my order arrives I'll install and post it here.

Link below of a good deal on aliexpress.
Be sure to message the seller to check its the exact model. As they use various stock images in their listing.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPql9IU
Thank you for this. Keep us posted on the install I'm quite interested for my M550.
'07 E92 335i (RET)
'89 E30 M3 (RET)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #13
jrstech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550

I noticed in some pics the shifter sits about 1" taller than the fitment on a G20. Was going to pull the trigger on this but will wait to see how it works out for you!

'07 E92 335i (RET)
'89 E30 M3 (RET)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:49 AM   #14
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
I noticed in some pics the shifter sits about 1" taller than the fitment on a G20. Was going to pull the trigger on this but will wait to see how it works out for you!

That's the pre-LCI X3 shift knob tall fitting, that's why it looks taller than the G20 shift knob.

This is the G20 shift knob fitment:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #15
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Crystal gear and dials arrived a couple weeks ago.

Not had time to fully instal. Got caught up sweating my socks off with covid.

Ive done the buttons/dials across the dash.
Using the included sticky silicone putty, the Start and Auto climate buttons were easy enough to swap out... and then there's the volume dial.

The face of the Start and Auto climate buttons are direct replacements, but for the Volume button its a cover that sits over the original, resulting in very little to no light passing through. It sounds petty, but its annoying as hell and stands out like a sore thumb.

Turns out the volume button isn't so easy to remove. The face of it is one piece which is part of the dial structure attached to the mechanism on the inside of the panel.

It annoyed me enough to have a brilliantly stupid idea... drill the top of the button!

Gotta risk it for a biscuit.
Attached Images

Last edited by mittu; 02-16-2022 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #16
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Crystal gear knob and iDrive wheel instal

Please note this is only for the G30/G31, G11, G01, G02... and the G38

We’ll start with the star of the show, the crystal knob.
There are 2 types: gear knobs without drive letters, and those with.

WITHOUT drive letters

When searching, this type is the most common. Has a static light-up character in the glass (5, 7, X3, M, etc.)
Although cheaper and easier to find, the installation requires more work.
Complete gear shifter unit must be taken out of the centre console and partially disassembled. This is required to swap out the ribbon connector. Removing the centre console top trim isn’t difficult. A few clip and screws, nothing technical.

Centre console trim removal video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNlanprZaIA

The replacement ribbon connector contains a bit of circuitry to program out the drive letter lights. They should’ve integrated this into the gear knob PCB, but this is actually a cost saving measure so they can use the same PCB found in their crystal MGU gear knob; their hot seller.
Once the ribbon connector is swapped out, the new gear knob can be fitted as normal and the shifter unit reinstalled back into the centre console.

Ribbon swap and gear knob fitment video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq22_ARsfjU

As well as the videos above, a step-by-step PDF is attached.

WITH drive letters

Costs more, offering integrated light-up drive letters like OEM gear knob. Depending on the brand it may not require a ribbon connector change.

MankaleiLab (MKL) brand: Ribbon change necessary similar to above, requiring trim and shifter unit removal.

Vstar brand: A much easier instal. Just swap out the gear knob. No centre console trim removal needed.
All necessary circuitry is built into gear knob PCB. Does not require ribbon connector change.
No need to remove shifter unit or centre console trim.

iDrive wheel

Most gear knob sets include the circular crystal touchpad glass, and some also include the bezel ring for the wheel and other buttons for the dash.

Touchpad replacement
Touchpad can be swapped out easily. No centre console trim removal needed. Simply unclip the top of the wheel, disconnect ribbon cable, warm up and remove top surface layer & adhesive residue. Stick on new crystal piece and clip it back in. Job done.

Wheel ring bezel
Requires the centre console trim to be removed. iDrive wheel/ switch unit will need taking out and partially disassembling. If you aren't fitting any other dials with the same matching bezel, then its not worth swapping out just the iDrive wheel ring bezel; too much effort and wont match OEM dial bezels.

The bezel ring is clipped in from the inside of the wheel, which is screwed down to the switch unit from the underside. Replacing it involves several steps, but nothing complicated. Step-by-step PDF attached.

Video of complete bezel ring replacement and crystal touchpad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmiZObpbSU

Summary

Its fairly easy for anyone with no car knowledge to swap out the gear knob and touchpad without the need to remove any car trim (Vstar brand)
Sometimes the brand name is stated in the product description, and if not, double check with seller before buying.
Do not rely on product photos as most listings use a mixture of stock images. Sellers intentionally don't mentioning trim removal and ribbon connector change. Some avoid showing you the included replacement ribbon.

The Vstar model is a hassle-free straight swap with the OEM gear knob. They’ve best sussed out the circuitry, so given enough time, the other makers will do the same.

If you prefer the look of the cheaper ones or the MKL brand, or fitting the wheel ring bezel, then be prepared to remove a few pieces of car trim.

RIGHT HAND DRIVE cars

If the product page doesn’t specify LHD or RHD, assume its for LHD cars.
Only difference is which side the ‘unlock’ button is on. Fitment is the same.

Finding a RHD version with light up drive letters at a reasonable price is a little tricky. I’ve asked a couple of sellers, who’ve said the LHD version can also be fitted to RHD cars. Shifter movement pattern is exactly the same for both LHD & RHD, and the placement of the ‘unlock’ button doesn’t make a difference in the real world.

Hopefully this info helps. I’ll revise and update it if needed.

Last edited by mittu; 02-16-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      02-15-2022, 06:42 PM   #17
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Any idea the part number for the "5" crystal knob? I found the 3,7 & 4, but not the 5. The link above is for the M shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 09:15 AM   #18
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Any idea the part number for the "5" crystal knob? I found the 3,7 & 4, but not the 5. The link above is for the M shifter.
Try the link below to this AliExpress product. gear knob only.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...rch-mainSearch

Last edited by mittu; 02-16-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #19
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post

Yup. As you've pointed out, there's a little spacer. All crystal shifters are made to the same dimension as the original. It's too costly for these aftermarket companies to redesign and retool for different shifters.

The spacer fills the extra height of the metal shifter pole which the gear knob mounts on. If you really wanted you could trim down the pole with an angle grinder. An inch should do the job.

Or do what I've done... Spray it sliver. Had a random can knocking about in shed.
I think it's come out ok.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #20
mittu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ive now installed and sold 30 of these gearknob. The brand to buy is Vstar. Far superior construction and build quality compared to MankaleiLab (MKL).
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2022, 01:47 AM   #21
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Ive now installed and sold 30 of these gearknob. The brand to buy is Vstar. Far superior construction and build quality compared to MankaleiLab (MKL).
Thanks for this as was wondering which one was best quality.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #22
Supacat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i M-Sport

Quote:
Just got myself a VSTAR and its on the way. Thanks again bro!
Appreciate 0