BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Cracked seat

08-25-2020, 01:43 AM   #1
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Cracked seat

Just found this in my new (to me - 09/2018, 57K km) Sport Line. It’s around the Isofix on the rear seat. The car has part-leather. Has anyone else experienced this, and was it covered under warranty?
Attached Images

08-25-2020, 03:43 AM   #2
mariopl
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2024 520xd, 2023 i4 M50

It look like damage from baby seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 04:16 AM   #3
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Must have been the previous owner then. There are no signs (skratches, marks) from anything hitting the leather.
      08-25-2020, 04:34 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I doubt you would get anywhere as regards warranty repair, looks like fair wear and tear so to speak.
No harm in asking though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Suggest the car seat has been stressed at that location by the child seat and the leather has pulled away. If no joy with a complaint, which I would doubt will hold water, suggest black felt tip will camouflage the white patch
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

As mentioned, I haven´t had a child seat mounted there - so must be the owner before me. Wish I could afford to buy these things new; thanks taxes in DK I will speak to my local dealer. Even if it is a result of a child seat, I would suppose the seat could handle the "stress" of having such a seat fitted without the leather cracking. Will bring an update once there is any news.
      08-26-2020, 02:09 AM   #7
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Dealer just responded, that they will cover under warranty. Happy days.
      08-26-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Result!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #9
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

I'm not sure how BMW fully works or your dealer... but some dealers let you have 1 item under warranty to demonstrate how they are there for you, but then they may start pushing back after this unless it's a legit issue... like a "courtesy coverage".

I probably would NOT have that fixed out of concern that was how I would use my 1 freebee... I'd probably take a sharpie to it and never see it again... what if something more valuable or bigger has an issue you might not get that covered.

others have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
I'm not sure how BMW fully works or your dealer... but some dealers let you have 1 item under warranty to demonstrate how they are there for you, but then they may start pushing back after this unless it's a legit issue... like a "courtesy coverage".

I probably would NOT have that fixed out of concern that was how I would use my 1 freebee... I'd probably take a sharpie to it and never see it again... what if something more valuable or bigger has an issue you might not get that covered.

others have experience with this?
I don't operate in that manner and I don't see why anyone should. If the dealer covered it under warranty in the past you'll have documentation noting it so they wouldn't have room to push back in the future I don't think.

Additionally, the dealer cleared that with BMW as they aren't going to eat the cost of replacing the seat + labor without at least letting the customer know they are doing a "goodwill" gesture.

But the bumper to bumper is there for a reason. We paid a lot of money for these cars I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it. If BMW were to pull what you suggested I'd switch brands. On a $70K car last thing I want to see is them nickel and dining me over warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:33 AM   #11
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

It´s covered by BMW, not the dealer. I´ve used the dealer to service my old G30 and my wifes F20, so I´m not a new customer. Netiher is it the first warranty claim on this car, as the NOx sensor was replaced a while ago. So I don´t consider this as a gesture of "goodwill", but simply a job covered by the warranty. The seat cover, which will be replaced, costs 8500DKR($1350) + the labour involved - so quite a cost. On a car this new and expensive I wouldn´t try and repair/cover it myself.
      08-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #12
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I don't operate in that manner and I don't see why anyone should.
I think you missed my point -or- maybe wasn't clear enough... in simple, My point was to make sure this isn't a goodwill fix and that it is truly a direct warranty action. that minor item IMO is not worth wasting the one goodwill coverage you might have.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you missed my point -or- maybe wasn't clear enough... in simple, My point was to make sure this isn't a goodwill fix and that it is truly a direct warranty action. that minor item IMO is not worth wasting the one goodwill coverage you might have.
Haven´t met a dealer that operates that way yet But I get your point.
      08-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I fully got your point. The way I see it the dealership has the responsibility to make it clear to me that whatever repair they are doing isn't covered under warranty and they are good willing it as a one-time courtesy. Then I'd be free to make a determination then how I want to proceed.

That being said, if they were to push for that in a case like this I'd be squeezing them hard since the bumper to bumper warranty is extremely broad scope in coverage.

I've had warranty debates with my MB dealer (my last car) a couple of times that ended up with them forced to reverse their initial decisions, but those debates were always after my bumper to bumper ended and I was in MB CPO Extended Warranty territory. A good warranty, but not as expansive as bumper to bumper (as expected).

But I also live in an area with probably 20 BMW dealers or more within a 2 hour drive of my house (same was true for MB). Hell, I'm one of three BMW owners on my city block and we all use a different local dealer for service! I'm sure that helps to keep them a bit more honest too as there is real room for them to lose business. Less competitive markets may vary .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

One of the biggest mistakes folks make is to reluctantly accept the determination by BMW or the dealership that something is not covered by the OEM warranty.

That is merely their opinion. In almost all states, or in all states I am not sure, there are small claims courts where one can go in and demonstrate to a judge that the determination is erroneous. Even telling the dealership that you are going to do that may make them reconsider.

Reading the warranty is not brain surgery. One doesn't need to be an attorney to do that. When we face obdurate sellers, we as customers need to be our own strong advocates.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 01:40 AM   #16
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep

All sorted now. Price for the seat cover was around $1350 - and then the labour to fit it on top!