BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Time for a new desktop .. or not

06-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Time for a new desktop .. or not

Looking to see what the preferred route to go might be... desktop is about shot and a new system is desired. Anyone work in the industry around metro NYC?

Dont know if I should do Apple or Windows 7 vs. 8.?

Don't really know if desktops are old school and time to get something fresh....

Thoughts, ideas, and any deals welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

what are you going to do with it? laptops are best for students or people who move around often. i'm usually home and nothing beats a desktop with a full keyboard and multiple screens.

apple makes a good machine, but you'll pay extra for it and definitely don't need what they offer over a pc.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls View Post
what are you going to do with it? laptops are best for students or people who move around often. i'm usually home and nothing beats a desktop with a full keyboard and multiple screens.

apple makes a good machine, but you'll pay extra for it and definitely don't need what they offer over a pc.
thanks for the reply bro...

just for home use: surfing, music, pics, M3post , email, creating docs, and that is about it... no gaming ..... I do agree APPLE is too much now that you mention it... dont need the name... so that is now out... thanx!
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

probably a desktop then, better keyboard, more (or larger) screens. you'll get more for the same money vs. a laptop. also easier to replace or upgrade.

and overall i'd say desktop parts last longer. oh, and some real speakers for music/videos

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 06-11-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
thanks man...
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
probably a desktop then, better keyboard, more (or larger) screens. you'll get more for the same money vs. a laptop. also easier to replace or upgrade.

and overall i'd say desktop parts last longer. oh, and some real speakers for music/videos
+1 on the desktop
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
any types you guys recommend? i was thinking HP, AMD 4 or 6 core processor, Windows 8
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

For what you need, you may not need to upgrade.

I bought a macbook in 2008 and have used it as a desktop (while at home) since. Hook up an external monitor, USB hub, speakers, mouse and keyboard, external HD, and throw it on a shelf. Same exact experience as a desktop for no added cost.

As for a new build, you can put together a new desktop from scratch for about $300-400, excluding monitor/speakers/accessories. There are definitely deals on complete low-end systems as well.

I just build a new PC for a friend and will be upgrading mine soon, lmk if you need part recs.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
good ideas but building these things aint my thing... thanks though bro~
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #10
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

I would go desktop windows 7 64 bit route. And I would seriously consider building one, it isn't hard and it gives u a great idea of how your pc runs and nothing better than a DIY!
There is a bunch of new technology coming out from AMD and Intel so prices on previous generation tech will drop soon

But if you don't wanna build (again I highly recommend you do, just watch a YouTube video showing the process), I'd probably look at getting a dell I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ View Post
I would go desktop windows 7 64 bit route. And I would seriously consider building one, it isn't hard and it gives u a great idea of how your pc runs and nothing better than a DIY!
There is a bunch of new technology coming out from AMD and Intel so prices on previous generation tech will drop soon

But if you don't wanna build (again I highly recommend you do, just watch a YouTube video showing the process), I'd probably look at getting a dell I guess
thanks man... i did not even think of you tube for watching a build...that is an idea. what company do y'all deal with for parts....
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep

dell (not a bad deal, great if you don't want to diy), fry's, crucial (for ram), newegg, intel, western digital
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #13
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Just decide your budget...this site should make it stupid simple: www.logicalincrements.com
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
dell (not a bad deal, great if you don't want to diy), fry's, crucial (for ram), newegg, intel, western digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Just decide your budget...this site should make it stupid simple: www.logicalincrements.com
thank you guys....
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Built my first system around Christmas and never looked back. It's so easy. I put everything together and expected to try to turn it on and have nothing happen, but it fired right up. Popped in my Windows disc and started the install. Don't be scared to do it. Just watch a few vids, read some articles, and you'll be fine. That is all I did.

Do ensure you have some sort of anti-static wrist band and a good surface to work on though. Nothing would suck more than finding out you fried a processor with a static shock, because most places will not warranty that and blame it on you. In my PC toolkit (purchased online for like $30), an anti-static wristband came included.

For what you want to do with it, you could build a system for cheaper than any system you're looking at buying in a store.
      06-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Built my first system around Christmas and never looked back. It's so easy. I put everything together and expected to try to turn it on and have nothing happen, but it fired right up. Popped in my Windows disc and started the install. Don't be scared to do it. Just watch a few vids, read some articles, and you'll be fine. That is all I did.

Do ensure you have some sort of anti-static wrist band and a good surface to work on though. Nothing would suck more than finding out you fried a processor with a static shock, because most places will not warranty that and blame it on you. In my PC toolkit (purchased online for like $30), an anti-static wristband came included.

For what you want to do with it, you could build a system for cheaper than any system you're looking at buying in a store.
Thanks! I will def check some vids out... seems like the way to go if I can do it
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
any types you guys recommend? i was thinking HP, AMD 4 or 6 core processor, Windows 8
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, AMD 8-core

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103960

You're better off building your own desktop, IMO - will be cheaper

Last edited by Colt; 06-14-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #18
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
watched a few vids.... i hate wires.... may just bite the bullet and hit up best buy...... ugh.
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LRM3 View Post
watched a few vids.... i hate wires.... may just bite the bullet and hit up best buy...... ugh.
For the love of god man don't do it...Just buy a modular power supply - it cuts down big time on all the stress with wires, also make sure the case you buy has rubber cable routing thingies...

It's not that stressful if you just take care of those two things.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
For the love of god man don't do it...Just buy a modular power supply - it cuts down big time on all the stress with wires, also make sure the case you buy has rubber cable routing thingies...

It's not that stressful if you just take care of those two things.
+1
Modular power supply will save the pain and nasty view of wires

Any updates? Did you build or buy?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Use Windows 7, 8 is terrible and not really ideal for a desktop
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Surprised to see there are no Apple fans here amongst us 'luxury' BMW owners. To the poster above complaining about Apple costing more than a PC: You do realize your BMW cost more than a Ford too, yet you bought it anyway because it was nicer, right?

I'm no Apple 'fanboy' and have worked in the industry for over 10 years dealing mainly with PCs. However, I would almost never recommend that a casual, non-gaming user (as the OP clearly is) purchase a PC over a Mac. For starters, any PC purchase for a casual user requires Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware software or sooner or later, they will become infected. The same casual user can't easily deal with that infection the way more experienced users can. Apple prevents 99% of all viruses/malware (yes... I know some DO exist) simply because the market share dictates that malicious actors focus more on PC infections. The argument could also be made that Apple's underlying BSD architecture is inherently more secure than anything Windows has ever produced. Couple that with the fact that almost all new Apple laptops come with SSDs, Intel processors (which as you know in almost all cases beat AMD processors in benchmarks on balance), and sufficient RAM. One can easily extend the laptop into a 'desktop' workstation by adding either a thunderbolt display or standard DVI monitor.

Yes, it will cost you more -- but it is worth the money in the end for a product of superior style/quality to most of what Dell/HP/etc produce these days.
Appreciate 0