BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Effects of COVID on orders and pricing?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
DirtyVegasMB
Private
24
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: '17 CTS-V
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Effects of COVID on orders and pricing?

My M550i order has not moved for few weeks after received by BMW.

Anyone knows what type of disruptions BMW is experiencing and what that could mean for pricing and leasing terms?

Anyone seen dealerships offering significant discounts on existing inventory?

Maybe it is too early to tell still, but I imagine certain changes are inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
themnmd
Major
themnmd's Avatar
United_States
592
Rep
1,155
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340 i Xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Rafael CA

iTrader: (0)

I believe that production has stopped in Germany and S.C. for a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
jrstech
First Lieutenant
jrstech's Avatar
41
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: '17 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Fla

iTrader: (6)

I'm in the same boat, my 550 was in "Scheduled for Production" for almost three weeks when that status changed to "Order Received" after the factory shutdown. The lease on my F80 just ended and BMWNA extended it month to month after I provided a production number. At this point I may just wait for a '21 LCI as I doubt there will be any significant price increases if any at all and most likely better lease deals once the situation settles down.
__________________
'17 F80
'14 F22 M235i
'11 E90 335i
'07 E92 335i
'89 E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Colonel
United_States
1304
Rep
2,130
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

If the world economy continues to tank, eventually car prices should start coming down as folks can't afford new cars.

BUT...at least for a while, the supply chain for most new cars is world wide and it is likely that even if BMW can get a particular factory up and running again, it likely won't be able to access all the parts it needs. So production will likely be constrained for a while protecting prices.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
DirtyVegasMB
Private
24
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: '17 CTS-V
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if it is even responsible to be leasing M550i with so much recent uncertainty, even if one can afford it... I can always buy a used Kia Stinger GT and keep it for as long or as little as necessary until more is known about the economy.

One of the main reasons also is that I don't think it would look right for me to drive a new M550i when my company will be forced to lay off an unknown amount of staff...

Last edited by DirtyVegasMB; 03-22-2020 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

My dealership has laid everyone off, has to be horrible! No communication at all other than we are all laid off...I originally had a production slot scheduled for this week on a M550xi, it now says online I don't have one and BMW NA indicated on the phone a last week in May production date with a delivery "sometime in july"... Crazy times for sure and I certainly don't want to complain but at the same time my current lease goes back in May and I don't have the option of being without a car for an extended period of time...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
jrstech
First Lieutenant
jrstech's Avatar
41
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: '17 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Fla

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamNYC View Post
My dealership has laid everyone off, has to be horrible! No communication at all other than we are all laid off...I originally had a production slot scheduled for this week on a M550xi, it now says online I don't have one and BMW NA indicated on the phone a last week in May production date with a delivery "sometime in july"... Crazy times for sure and I certainly don't want to complain but at the same time my current lease goes back in May and I don't have the option of being without a car for an extended period of time...
I'm in the same boat. Called BMW and gave them my production number provided by my SA and they extended my lease month to month. Although, this was done when my car was in "Production Scheduled" now it has reverted back to "Order Received". So much is unknown at this point.
__________________
'17 F80
'14 F22 M235i
'11 E90 335i
'07 E92 335i
'89 E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
I'm in the same boat. Called BMW and gave them my production number provided by my SA and they extended my lease month to month. Although, this was done when my car was in "Production Scheduled" now it has reverted back to "Order Received". So much is unknown at this point.
Sadly I a MB going back early May or it wouldn't be that huge of an issue...Guess I will end up renting a car! Being a perfect storm I am also currently scheduled to be out of the country All of July and August! No clue how that will pan out but hoping its not an issue too..
Stay Safe!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
LogicalApex
First Lieutenant
182
Rep
383
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
If the world economy continues to tank, eventually car prices should start coming down as folks can't afford new cars.

BUT...at least for a while, the supply chain for most new cars is world wide and it is likely that even if BMW can get a particular factory up and running again, it likely won't be able to access all the parts it needs. So production will likely be constrained for a while protecting prices.
Depending on how this shakes out in the medium term it could soften the depreciation of BMW cars as you'll likely see the used car market recover faster than the new car market.

How long that impact lasts will depend largely on how long this thing goes for and how smoothly the recovery is overall.

But I wouldn't be buying right now or even very close to right now. Even with the money available you'll likely end up leaving money on the table. Once dealerships are back up and things are recovering they'll likely offer deeper discounts to jumpstart things again. Interest rates are likely to come down even more if you're leasing or financing. Etc.

Hell even if you can afford it now we have no idea what the landscape will be when the dust settles so you may not be as well situated once it settles as you think you are for a variety of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

I unfortunately used a lease broker for the first time ever.. in reality I paid for his discount as he has done nothing since.. I had to follow through with the dealer as I had no production # for 2 weeks, since he was "on vacation". Only after speaking to the dealer did they secure an allotment from another dealer... Tonight was the first time I heard from him that nobody can predict what to expect... I have no deposit on this car that is in my name or a contract with lease terms... supposedly I am locked in at February's rates/incentives and if things are better in April or May or anytime before delivery they will update the terms... I fully understand this is nothing like anyone has experienced, people are out jobs, life's are in jeopardy and tons of uncertainty... Yet at the same time, I need to secure a means of transportation one way or another....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
budjames
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Doylestown, PA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I believe that production has stopped in Germany and S.C. for a few weeks
I was told by my dealer that the factory is closed until 4/30.

Bud
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
jrstech
First Lieutenant
jrstech's Avatar
41
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: '17 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Fla

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjames View Post
I was told by my dealer that the factory is closed until 4/30.

Bud
Mine was scheduled for production (M550) earlier this month, now going month to month extension of current lease (F80). Spoke to leasing div at BMWNA this morning, they advised my M550 is now scheduled for production week of May 17-23 but cautioned that is likely to be pushed back further. On the bright side they offered one month free and extended lease to September under current terms with option to cancel anytime. Now waiting to hear back from my SA if 2020 production will conflict with 2021 (LCI) MY. SA said it's also possible that 2021 production will be pushed back as well.
__________________
'17 F80
'14 F22 M235i
'11 E90 335i
'07 E92 335i
'89 E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major
VirtualGuitars's Avatar
United_States
688
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You shouldn't lose your place in the queue as I seriously doubt any new orders are being accepted.
__________________
2019 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan | 2018 BMW 230i Coupe | 2017 X6 BMW xDrive35i | 2011 BMW S1000RR (BMW Motorrad) | 2008 BMW 528i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:22 AM   #14
suresk
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Mercedes C43, BMW X3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

I was able to have an order for an M550 submitted on Monday, and got a production number. Obviously going to be a while before it is built, but they appear to still be accepting orders.

Actually makes me wonder if they'll be delayed long enough that I could join CCA now and be eligible for the rebate (6 months).
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #15
e92328i998
Private First Class
e92328i998's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: Dmax, X5D, 323iC
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresk View Post
I was able to have an order for an M550 submitted on Monday, and got a production number. Obviously going to be a while before it is built, but they appear to still be accepting orders.

Actually makes me wonder if they'll be delayed long enough that I could join CCA now and be eligible for the rebate (6 months).
I actually thought about that as well on my 540 order (entered Tuesday)...along with whether incentives will get any better. Do you think there is any chance they may stop 2020s all together?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #16
jrstech
First Lieutenant
jrstech's Avatar
41
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: '17 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Fla

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92328i998 View Post
I actually thought about that as well on my 540 order (entered Tuesday)...along with whether incentives will get any better. Do you think there is any chance they may stop 2020s all together?
If they stop '20 MY production and resume with '21 production the BMWCCA 5 series rebate is for MY 18, 19 & 20, who knows what it will be with MY 21.
__________________
'17 F80
'14 F22 M235i
'11 E90 335i
'07 E92 335i
'89 E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #17
budjames
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi S6
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Doylestown, PA, USA

iTrader: (0)

My dealer, BMW of the Mainline in Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA, closed 2 weeks ago except for service. The sales managers are working remotely and all staff has been furloughed. I’m waiting to have my custom build 2020 M550i in Bluestone order placed. I was told that the factory is not accepting new orders.
My 2017 Audi S6 lease ends in mid-June, but I can continue month-to-month until December. Of course, I would like to have an approximate delivery date for my new BMW. This will be my first BMW car.
Cheers,
Bud James
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #18
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

I went from an end of April production date to mid May and was just told today the week of June 22nd!!! How much longer until they just cancel the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #19
jrstech
First Lieutenant
jrstech's Avatar
41
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: '17 F80
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So Fla

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamNYC View Post
I went from an end of April production date to mid May and was just told today the week of June 22nd!!! How much longer until they just cancel the car?
Same here, it will come down to whether they push back '21 MY production later in the year as I believe it was scheduled to start in June or July. I'm not so sure it will be that simple to convert '20 orders into '21 orders as the order sheet and options might differ. And possibly price differences.
__________________
'17 F80
'14 F22 M235i
'11 E90 335i
'07 E92 335i
'89 E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #20
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstech View Post
Same here, it will come down to whether they push back '21 MY production later in the year as I believe it was scheduled to start in June or July. I'm not so sure it will be that simple to convert '20 orders into '21 orders as the order sheet and options might differ. And possibly price differences.
My big concern is they will just cancel the 2020 orders and leave us high and dry to either negotiate on a incoming new 2021 with little incentives or find another brand...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #21
Pictor
First Lieutenant
United_States
129
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2018 M550i & 2020 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamNYC View Post
My big concern is they will just cancel the 2020 orders and leave us high and dry to either negotiate on a incoming new 2021 with little incentives or find another brand...
It's not in BMW's best interest to leave anyone high and dry. That said, the first month or two of a new model year isn't the best time for incentives.

MY21 was scheduled to start in July but we should know within the next 4-6 weeks if that changes. There is also the possibility that they push MY21 production out because of lags in the supply chain but I'm only guessing here. No one knows for sure since this isn't something anyone has had to deal with before.

Buckle up and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #22
GothamNYC
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M550 Audi SQ5 Porsche 911
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NY NY

iTrader: (0)

I get it, I really understand a lot more serious stuff in life is going on! It's just odd to me how at least locally in the NY/NJ/CT area some other dealers and brands are handling things IMHO a lot better... My BMW dealer is closed except for service, only response you get from them is, sorry everyone is laid off we have no info... Most of the time BMW NA says please contact your dealer.... Other BMW dealers have searched inventory, attempted to locate a similar car, just not anywhere near the price and most have indicated BMW has left them in the dark.I have a Mercedes, Audi and a Porsche in my household, I have reached out to all 3 in case the M550 falls through... All have responded within minutes with someone working from home and super helpful...I have also explored Maserati, Jaguar and Range Rover, mostly we are closed to visitors but this is what we have and when it can arrive at your house.
Hopefully this all runs its course faster than predicted, lives are saved and things get back on track ASAP...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST