BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications MHD stage 1 throttle body oscillation out of nowhere

03-20-2024, 05:42 AM   #1
maiki
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘18 540i xdrive

Exclamation MHD stage 1 throttle body oscillation out of nowhere

Hello there, i come up with a weird issue.
I’ve been running mhd stage 1 98ron map since january, and 3 weeks ago i started noticing a hesitation and a surge/oscillation around 2k-4k rpm, 4th gear and up on harder throttle (not necessarily wot but it happens on wot as well). Im running 99ron fuel, last night i’ve flashed the stage 1 95ron octane map while having 99ron fuel in my tank but the issue is still there. I’ve logged this issue last night, can you guys give me some hints on what it could be? I went to the bmw dealer and they said the car has no hardware issues (they’ve berified the injectors and transmission’s torque converter). Whenerver this issue happens, you can see the torque gauge in the sport display oscillating, rpm seems to not oscillate, idle is fine.
The car’s a ‘18 540i xdrive, catless dp, 74k km, coils and spark plugs replaced with oem parts 2k km ago

Here’s the logs:
https://datazap.me/u/maiki/intermitt...0&data=2-20-22

Notice how the throttle body position oscillates, same woth the req load %. Could it be the vanos solenoids?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:26 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

It looks like you have an overboost condition here. Just before the throttle closes, take a look at your actual vs. target boost. The throttle seems to be closing because your actual is higher than your target. Can you log your wastegate duty cycle? Maybe you have a problem with your wastegate.

I also recommend that you watch this video and this video. To your point, I believe that the Vanos could also be in play here, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on this. Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Appreciate 1