E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Car wash for a beginner?

02-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
ap1994
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Car wash for a beginner?

Ive read all of these forums, but the info is overkill and im a beginnger. I want to wash the car (not clay or use any machines on it). What steps do I need to take to wash it and then bring out the shine that I keep reading about?

Thanks in advace.
Andy
      02-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I'd follow the stickied thread at the top of this forum. You don't have to do everything listed in there. It's kind of a "get what you pay for" thing. If you followed all the directions and did the whole thing your car would probably look better and be better protected but if you just did part of it you'd only get part of the benefits. If you just want to wash the car, follow the washing section.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
ap1994
Private
Rep

So I could wash and then apply zaino? How often would I use the zaino? Thanks for all the help.
Andy
      02-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1994
So I could wash and then apply zaino? How often would I use the zaino? Thanks for all the help.
Andy
With Zaino Z2Pro, you could probably get away with applying it once every 9-12 months.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
ap1994
Private
Rep

So ill buy the Zaino Z2Pro and then ill use that for my March cleaning. Then I can just wash the car for 9-12 months? How many coats of Zaino do I need to apply?

Thanks for all your help.
Andy
      02-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Phat Ham
Rep
Drives: m3

Zaino can be layered as much as you want. With the ZFX additive you can do up to 3 coats in one day, with each coat taking maybe 45 minutes (5 minutes to apply, 30 to dry, 10 to buff off). It's really pretty simple to use. I would suggest doing 3 coats on the first application. This should last a good 6 months. If you feel like it you can always add a coat here and there.
      02-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1994
So ill buy the Zaino Z2Pro and then ill use that for my March cleaning. Then I can just wash the car for 9-12 months? How many coats of Zaino do I need to apply?

Thanks for all your help.
Andy
As Phat Ham said, with ZFX you can aply 3 layers in one day. Based on what it sounds like you want to do, I'd think that's perfect for you. From there, you could wash your car whenever you wanted, and to boost your Z2 (not mandatory - Z2 will last on its own), you could also apply some Z8 to your car after every few washes. Z8 is a spray sealant. It takes 5 minutes to do a whole car. Just spray on and wipe off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
ap1994
Private
Rep

I want to make sure I have everything in order.

1) Wash the car with car wash soap. Any partiuclar brand?
2) use Zaino Z2Pro mixed with ZFX so that I can apply up to 3 coats? (apply every 6 months)
3) in addition, use z8 (after every few washes)

Thanks again for the help. This is great!
Andy
      02-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
Phat Ham
Rep
Drives: m3

I use Zaino's car wash soap, mainly because I order it at the same time I order all the other Zaino stuff. I've heard lots of people being happy with Meguiar's Gold Class (I think that's what it's called) car wash. It's cheap and available at Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

You'll want to use a wash mitt/sponge/whatever that will pull dirt and particles away from the surface. I use a cotton chenille wash mitt. Don't use a regular sponge as it won't absorb the dirt and just push it around on the surface, scratching your paint. Also use a separate one for your wheels. You don't want all that brake dust getting on your paint.

Don't forget drying is as important as washing. I use a California Dry Blade followed by a waffle weave microfiber towel. There's some controversy over the Dry Blade as it can scratch your paint if it picks up any dirt while you're using it. I've never had problems with it. You just have to be careful.

When you're applying Z2 you'll want to use Z6 or Z8 in between coats. Make sure you have plenty of quality microfiber towels for the job.
      02-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Not to hijack this thread - but I had a somewhat related question... if I already have 2 layers of carnuba wax on the car - can I apply Zaino over it?

How long does carnuba wax last?
      02-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #11
MelF1fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SP

Zaino will not bond over wax. You need a clean surface for zaino. You will have to strip the existing wax by polishing it off or using a paint cleaner / wax remover.

What wax are you currently using? Depending on the type i would say anywhere from 2 to maybe 6 weeks durability from the average carnuba wax.
Appreciate 0