BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Passenger Seatbelt Sensor Malfunction

06-02-2019, 02:23 AM   #1
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i MSport

Passenger Seatbelt Sensor Malfunction

This happens more often than I'd like. It shouldn't happen at all but when I am driving the seatbelt chime comes on and won't go off until I punch the passenger side seat. Or just buckle it up. It did it 6 months ago and went away. Now it's happening again. I have. 2017 540i.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Warranty job, presumable a faulty sensor.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Sensor pad in seat bottom cushion needs to be replaced.

But if you have a 17 540i and haven't had your software updated, that's a must. It's called istep level and should have been done when your car went in for maintenance.
      06-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Obvious question but.. you don’t have anything sitting there right? If it’s heavy enough it could possibly trigger it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Obvious question but.. you don't have anything sitting there right? If it's heavy enough it could possibly trigger it.
Nope, nothing is ever in the seat when it happens...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

I guess I'll have to take my car in again. I've had to many problems with my 540 smh.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis3 View Post
I guess I'll have to take my car in again. I've had to many problems with my 540 smh.
You've heard to avoid first year of a new model, right?

We've got a 17 540 in the family and first 18 months it was in the shop several times. Most times software related issues. Yes, annoying.
      06-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

We've got a 17 540 in the family and first 18 months it was in the shop several times. Most times software related issues. Yes, annoying.
Yep! I heard about it and loved the car so much I did it anyway. Comfort Access issues, iDrive issues, key issues and now this.

I'm rethinking getting a 2020 M340i now...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yep! I heard about it and loved the car so much I did it anyway. Comfort Access issues, iDrive issues, key issues and now this.

I'm rethinking getting a 2020 M340i now...
Visit the G20 forums. IDrive 7 is currently problematic, but it does have an OTA update feature, so assuming bugs can be addressed OTA, that should help. That said, iDrive 7 has been around since winter 2018 and it still has some fairly serious issues. I have a friend with an X7 so I hear his first hand frustrations. Mostly electronics and likely software. Error messages, random warning lights, iDrive reboots, Bluetooth issues, media services that don't work, Carplay problems, etc...

Looking back at iDrive 6, it too was problematic for a good year after launch. But with iDrive 6, customers had no choice but to visit dealers for istep upgrades. And with some dealers it was arm twisting to get them to apply the upgrades since it takes a while, occupies one of their ISTA systems, etc.

And with the G20 you've got a new engine too. It should be a good improvement to the B58, but we all know with most improvements also comes new issues.

If it were me I'd wait till 2021 and let others beta test for you.
      06-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #10
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
This happens more often than I'd like. It shouldn't happen at all but when I am driving the seatbelt chime comes on and won't go off until I punch the passenger side seat. Or just buckle it up. It did it 6 months ago and went away. Now it's happening again. I have. 2017 540i.
Quote:
No big deal, happened to my car 1.5 years ago. Loose harness wire under the seat. Smacking seat shuts off warning because you must be moving the wire a little. There is a bulletin on this, took my dealer 30 minutes to fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No big deal, happened to my car 1.5 years ago. Loose harness wire under the seat. Smacking seat shuts off warning because you must be moving the wire a little. There is a bulletin on this, took my dealer 30 minutes to fix.
Even better, if this is the case. Because if it's the occupant mat, dealer has to disassemble part of the seat to fix.
      06-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Even better, if this is the case. Because if it's the occupant mat, dealer has to disassemble part of the seat to fix.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not the mat, loose wire under seat. All they did was secure it with zip tie and all fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's not the mat, loose wire under seat. All they did was secure it with zip tie and all fixed.
In your case, not the mat. However the tsb will require more than to bundle the cables with a zip tie. If the wire was compromised, it has to be repaired before using zip ties to protect it from future chafing.
      06-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In your case, not the mat. However the tsb will require more than to bundle the cables with a zip tie. If the wire was compromised, it has to be repaired before using zip ties to protect it from future chafing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When is your appointment? No cables needed to be replaced, seat didn't need to be taken apart. Simple fix and BMW gas a bulletin on this for service advisor. 2 years ago, entire thread on this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I have had this issue twice on my 18 540, the first repair was a wiring harness and the second was the seat pad. Now I'm waiting for a trim piece on the dash that was cracked during the seat pad replacement.
      06-05-2019, 07:49 AM   #16
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer5 View Post
I have had this issue twice on my 18 540, the first repair was a wiring harness and the second was the seat pad. Now I'm waiting for a trim piece on the dash that was cracked during the seat pad replacement.
How did they crack a trim piece on dash while working on seat? When r&r seat from car?