BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions dealer oil changes

06-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
jwenga
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

dealer oil changes

Hi all,

I have a question. So, I go to the dealer and get an oil change in my 2018 G30. It does not have a dipstick. How do I know that the dealer actually changed my oil? Is it solely on trust or does anyone have a method to confirm that they actually performed the service?

Call me cynical but not naive. I simply do not trust anyone especially a dealership.

Thoughts?

Joe
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenga View Post
Hi all,

I have a question. So, I go to the dealer and get an oil change in my 2018 G30. It does not have a dipstick. How do I know that the dealer actually changed my oil? Is it solely on trust or does anyone have a method to confirm that they actually performed the service?

Call me cynical but not naive. I simply do not trust anyone especially a dealership.

Thoughts?

Joe
In iDrive there is a menu for vehicle status. Once you enter that menu, look for the oil level icon. Furthermore the system can measure the exact amount of oil in the engine provided the car is on a level surface and the engine is fully warmed up. It's all in there, just take the time to familiarize yourself with these monitoring tools.

Also for warranty purposes, proof and receipts of oil changes made at the dealer are a must in case of a major breakdown and seeking warranty or goodwill coverage.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Hi all,

Thoughts?

Joe
I agree, this is pretty cynical. I also agree, there is no way to know for sure, unless you take oil samples, etc. Sometimes, you just gotta trust that folks do what they say they do, unless you have evidence to the contrary. Otherwise, you just gotta do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Thoughts?

Joe
I agree, this is pretty cynical. I also agree, there is no way to know for sure, unless you take oil samples, etc. Sometimes, you just gotta trust that folks do what they say they do, unless you have evidence to the contrary. Otherwise, you just gotta do it yourself.
You can do it yourself, but if you ever have a serious problem with the engine, you will be asked to provide proof/receipts of oil changes made at mandated times. Good luck with DIY jobs that in the eyes of the manufacturer don't count for much of anything.

Let's just say if the dealer screws an oil change it is on them!

I don't understand all this skepticism regarding the lack of an oil stick. I haven't had a car with it in over 10 years and don't miss it. Just get the dealer to do each and every single oil change and if something happens is on them and the manufacturer. That's all the due diligence you have to follow as the owner of the vehicle.

DIY jobs and Jeffy Lube don't count for much of anything when seeking recourse to cover for a major repair or goodwill action.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

You guys may snicker at the OP for being cynical, but in my opinion he has a right to be.

- Twice I have had dealers tell me tires were rotated when they were not. (I mark my tires before going in.)

- Different dealer: Several years back I was fighting a fuel injection issue. It was admittedly intermittent. The goal was for the service manager to drive the car to verify the issue. Took the vehicle in, watched them move it to a side lot. I happened to sit where I could see my car the entire time. The car never moved. After about an hour I was told my car was ready. They had reproduced the problem, adjusted a loose wire, and I was set. Needless to say that conversation didn't end well.

So do I think dealers might skip an oil change? Absolutely. Do I think it is as likely at a BMW dealership? Maybe not. In BMW's effort to save $1, it makes it really difficult to know. Doing your own oil changes solves the problem, but like others have said it exposes you to warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Hi all,

Thoughts?

Joe
Simple...schedule the oil change at a time that you can stay while the service is performed. You can then watch as they pull your car in for service, drain it, change the filter, and refill it etc.

Then pay (if its not warranty work), get in your car, and drive off knowing that the job was done correctly.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Not snickering. Just experiencing a totally different dealer relationship. Very sorry for what you have experienced.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 335d, 335i

Quote:
Hi all,

Thoughts?

Joe
If you give the engine a quick sniff, i found you can usually tell by the smell of the new oil. It just smells differently. You can often visually also see if the oil cap and filters have been touched and replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
jwenga
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Thanks all for the responses. There are several good suggestions here as well. I may just ask the dealership if I can verify the fluid change on the next go around as Qsilver7 suggests.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:04 AM   #10
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all for the responses. There are several good suggestions here as well. I may just ask the dealership if I can verify the fluid change on the next go around as Qsilver7 suggests.
If you are up to it you can always take a look at the filter. Thats if accessible from top like the n55 engine. If the filter doesnt look worn then you should be good.
      06-08-2019, 04:47 AM   #11
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Simple answer, install a dash cam and leave it running. I skipped through the footage of my car having its service done. Also watched the mechanic spend 20 mins on his phone whilst leaning on the engine, whilst I waited in the show room. But saw filters get changed and oil etc.. piece of mind. I did however notice a sign saying ‘all dash cams must be switched off before entering BMW workshop’ yeah right! Nothing to hide?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
Grit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Thumbs up Oil level check

New to this forum and the G30 so I had no idea on how to check the oil level. Thanks for educating me! I’ll learn!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #13
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you're that worried about it, all you have to do is take off the oil filter and check how dirty/clean the oil is. Oil even at 2000 miles is black and relatively new oil is yellow/orange tinted. The filter will also be nice and clean, not black/gray. There's always a nice pool in the oil filter housing you can inspect. Another thing you can do is mark the oil filter cap and drain plug with a grease pen or something so you can see if it was opened or not.

I also do not trust mechanics so I do all my own work unless it's warranty work or it's free. That said, I don't check to make sure the work is done if I get free work done on a new car. There are more serious things to worry about.

Don't spy on them with a dashcam or ask to look over their shoulder while they do their work. You have better things to do and most people hate having people look over their shoulders. MOST mechanics are trustworthy and you're likely just pi**ing off an honest mechanic and that's usually not a good idea.

Another way to guarantee the work gets done is by leaving a few sodas and snacks in your car with a sign saying it's for the mechanics. I can guarantee you that your car will get treated a little bit extra special if you do that. It's a much more positive way to guarantee the work gets done than by spying on your tech.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 03:22 AM   #14
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Or alternatively expect them to do their job correctly as it’s 1, what they get paid for and 2 the reason why we pay the hideous amounts to have our cars serviced at a franchised BMW dealership. I mean £380 ($490) for an oil, filter, and cabin filter service isn’t particularly good value for money right?

Once and if, you find a good honest dealership, then maybe buy the workshop manager a nice bottle at Xmas to say thanks, but not essential. I would say at least introduce yourself to him, letting him know you like things done right and appreciate good honest work, this goes a lot further in my opinion as it personalises the interaction, instead of just another car rolling in for service work. My dealership know me now as I’ve been going their for years, I even ask for a particular master tech every time.

Most decent dealerships have a viewing gallery into the workshop so you can see your car being worked on by mechanics that have no issue with you watching them as they are doing there jobs right, regardless of if you watch them or not. It’s their job, it’s what they do, this isn’t top secret work being done. The reason they installed such viewing galleries is to get rid of the smoke and mirrors inherent with days past and common in old back street dodgey garages. Same with most modern restaurants, you can see the chef working etc.. not spying more like interested in what they are doing, that is unless they are hiding something? And the cycle starts again.

But we really should have to do any of this if they just do their job right in the first place.

Last edited by TK - 421; 06-09-2019 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 0