BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Diamond button on key

01-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
do you have the full digital cluster?
I don't think that dealerships know anything about software updates. If their diagnostic software says update, they do. If they can't fix it and BMW engineers say update, they do.

If you haven't coded your car, you have nothing to lose to complain to your dealership and ask them to update the software.

I can't understand why BMW makes updating software such a big deal when Tesla can do it remotely electronically.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't think that dealerships know anything about software updates. If their diagnostic software says update, they do. If they can't fix it and BMW engineers say update, they do.

If you haven't coded your car, you have nothing to lose to complain to your dealership and ask them to update the software.

I can't understand why BMW makes updating software such a big deal when Tesla can do it remotely electronically.
Totally right. I have just been resisting because its such a small thing (its literally JUST the clock issue) that I don't want to have them update the software and all my settings get reset to factory I mean, I could just wait until it goes in for something bigger.

It just seems crappy that some cars just don't have this feature for no discernible reason. Finding out that newer cars have got it again makes it even more crappy for me. Before today, I thought that BMW had decided to stop putting the option in on purpose and so it was ONLY early cars that had it. Now I know its actually just an accident that cars made between a certain date just don't have that option.

Anyway, thats my rant over - back in perspective: its a 1st world problem Thanks for allowing me to vent
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #25
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

After reading the manual (again), it doesn't say anything about the diamond button being programmable; only that it flashes/activates the lights (duration as per 'follow me home' setting/whatever it is called).

Re the clock: I'm with Mobilejo...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #26
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
After reading the manual (again), it doesn't say anything about the diamond button being programmable; only that it flashes/activates the lights (duration as per 'follow me home' setting/whatever it is called).

Re the clock: I'm with Mobilejo...
Not the end of the world for me that the panic button is not programmable. There is one golf course I play at that is so far out that I don't get a signal on my iphone. So during the summer when I played that course I used the diamond button on my former 330e to turn on the AC as I drove my car past the parking lot on the way to the bag drop.

Otherwise, I can always use the phone app.

I can live with not being able to use the remote to turn on the AC. It would have been nice but not essential or even very important to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #27
is_niice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything

Wait....am I the only one that thought it locks the car??

Lol so now I'm realizing that the diamond and silver surround are individual keys. Although I know for sure that it does lock the car when you press it and the vehicle is unlocked.

I'm also aware that in previous BMWs it would activate the panic function.

So what the heck does it do.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 07:10 AM   #28
CH79
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 530d xDrive (G31)

I can program the button on my G31 to either flash the lights, open the main boot (trunk) or open the hatch on the boot.
Appreciate 1
DavidI22.00
      03-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH79 View Post
I can program the button on my G31 to either flash the lights, open the main boot (trunk) or open the hatch on the boot.
Can you confirm if this is through coding or somewhere in the iDrive menu please?

I don't have comfort access and the only thing my diamond button does is turn the headlights on - I've tried short, medium and long presses! Having a button to open the glass hatch would be very useful!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #30
AndrewUK
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D xDrive G31Touring M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH79 View Post
Same on my G31. If nobody posts the menu settings beforehand, I'll check which section it is in the next time I am in the car.
Appreciate 1
DavidI22.00
      03-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #31
DavidI
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C LCI

Magic, found it - thanks both! My vehicle/Vehicle settings/Doors&Key/Key button settings. I had been in there once then completely forgot about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #32
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
I know I should probably RTFM but does anyone know what this button does on the remote, I've pressed it but it doesn't appear to do anything.
I just tried mine, at first nothing but then I felt a great disturbance in the force!
      05-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #33
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Curious.. do any of you have the factory alarm?

In the NA market my key has these buttons:

Unlock
Lock
Trunk
Panic

None of them are programmable; some have multiple functions, i.e. lock locks and arms.. but after 10 seconds, lock activates the interior lights.

The panic button, when pressed briefly activates the exterior lights. When held for three seconds or pressed three times in succession the alarm siren goes off.
      05-31-2019, 01:37 AM   #34
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Excellent, just went and tried it out. Also it seems that a short press turns off comfort access which is nice and means I don't have to worry about those guys that have the range extenders nicking the car.
Oh MY GOD!!! You have no idea how much you've just made my day. Yes, this works! Amazing. The mind boggles as to why BMW decided not to mention this in ANY literature.

On our previous Mercedes you could temporarily disable comfort access by double-clicking the lock button on the fob. I had missed this stupid little feature incredibly. A simply thing, but so handy when you're washing the car for example.

Superb find - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #35
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I do not have a diamond button...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

This Button on my M5 Competition just turns the headlamps on for courtesy.
      05-31-2019, 07:25 PM   #37
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

OK so here I was thinking I'm onto a winner - but not really. Quite to the contrary, I think I'm going nuts. That short press on the diamond key definitely worked yesterday to disable the comfort access - but then today I was able to open the doors anyway. So ... turns out, the logic is VERY strange. It does work, but once only.

The process is:
1) lock the car
2) One short press of the diamond key on the fob
- Car is now locked and Comfort access is disabled, meaning you can try and open the car with the handle but the car stays locked.

Remove your hand however and come back a second time (to any of the doors), then the Comfort Access is enabled again and you can unlock the car as usual. WTF.. it's crazy.

I've repeated this numerous times - even have a video. The disable logic only holds temporarily (i.e. for a single unlock attempt).

It therefore won't help you to guard against range extender attacks. I even doubt it will hold value when washing the car since that triggers the door handle unlock several times as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #38
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
I do not have a diamond button...
Me either, apparently. Could someone post a picture of this mysterious button?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #39
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Me either, apparently. Could someone post a picture of this mysterious button?
There you go. Lower button.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #40
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Interesting, mine has a panic button, not a diamond. Do your keys have the BMW colored stripes on the side of the fob?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #41
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I don't have diamond either
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #42
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
Interesting, mine has a panic button, not a diamond. Do your keys have the BMW colored stripes on the side of the fob?
Yes. There's market dependent variants of the fob. We don't have alarm on ours. I think the North American cars generally come with an alarm right?.. that could be why they chose the panic version as the norm perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #43
Pale0Blue0Eyes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
This Button on my M5 Competition just turns the headlamps on for courtesy.
Same here. If it's dark enough, my diamond button switches on the courtesy headlights for whatever duration you have set in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #44
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Thanks for posting the picture. I don't have that. I also have a red alarm/panic button.
Appreciate 0