BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 330e to 530e

05-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

330e to 530e

I went from a 330e to a 530e which I have now had for just more than 5 months.

I see several other members who have done the same. I will give my thoughts and would be interested in those of others who have also had both.

Power. Here I am puzzled. They seem fairly similar. I have been able to pull quickly away from a stop light and pass quickly, even when passing a car going more than 65 mph up a steep hill. But I am puzzled that the 330e has 25 less HP in the electric engine and the same ICE but nonetheless shows the same total HP. I suspect that BMW is either hiding the real HP or deliberately putting a governor on it through the ECU. I defintely think that the cars have more total HP than BMW claims.

Suspension. I had the sport suspension on my 330e and the dynamic handling package on my 530e. I liked the way the 330e handled but I could definitely feel harsh roads and my wife hated it. I know that several posters have said that the sport suspension on the 530e is much calmer than on the 330e but I did not have a chance to test drive one and I wanted to keep my wife happy. I am using the adaptive drive as my default in the 530e and the ride is very smooth. Cornering seems fine.

Size. I definitely feel the difference in size. Personally, I prefer a smaller car but couldn't get the features I wanted in the 330e. If size were the only determinant, I would stay with the 3 series; heck I would even go to a 2 series if they had one with the features I want.

MPG. I don't especially care about this (I only put on about 7K miles a year) but I do care about the environment so I have taken some measurements as a proxy for air cleanliness. On a trip to another city for a few days, I only plugged in before I left and got about 35 mpg overall. Most of my other driving is local with an occasional 20-30 mile trip thrown in to my office or a golf course. I have been getting between 40-55 mpg. And I drive with a bit of a lead foot. I seemed to get less mileage out of my 330e, weird as that sounds.

Upholstery. This was one of the prime reasons for me to change to the 530e. I thought the Dakota on the 330e was very rough and not what I would expect from a luxury vehicle. Accordingly, getting Nappa or Merino was a requirement for me. I ended up with Mocha Nappa which is beautifully soft and smooth (I would have preferred the individual Merino caramel black but I could not wait for the additional many months to order it). I love it. I also ordered the leather dash which completed the interior.

seats. I got the multicontour seats with the messaging function. They are very nice. I could never get completely comfortable in my 330e, especially at the head rest; the seats in my 530e are wonderfully comfortable and the headrest is a pleasure.

Handling. Even though it is bigger, the 530e seems to handle as well as my prior 330e. It does feel a bit bigger but not as much as I expected.

Other features. The 530e came with a number of features that I could not get on a 330e. The complete driver assistance package, self parking, newer, larger IDrive, and nightvision. Also the HUD is much larger and more readable on the 5 series.

I wonder what the new G20 will look like. While I am glad I went to the 530e, if the G20 version were available, I might have gone for it depending upon how I could configure it.

One final thought. My 330e was purchased off a dealer lot (my dealership bought it from a dealer in another state and trucked it down to me) whereas I ordered the 530e to my specifications. So it is not a perfect comparison.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I went from a 330e to a 530e which I have now had for just more than 5 months.

I see several other members who have done the same. I will give my thoughts and would be interested in those of others who have also had both.

Power. Here I am puzzled. They seem fairly similar. I have been able to pull quickly away from a stop light and pass quickly, even when passing a car going more than 65 mph up a steep hill. But I am puzzled that the 330e has 25 less HP in the electric engine and the same ICE but nonetheless shows the same total HP. I suspect that BMW is either hiding the real HP or deliberately putting a governor on it through the ECU. I defintely think that the cars have more total HP than BMW claims.

Suspension. I had the sport suspension on my 330e and the dynamic handling package on my 530e. I liked the way the 330e handled but I could definitely feel harsh roads and my wife hated it. I know that several posters have said that the sport suspension on the 530e is much calmer than on the 330e but I did not have a chance to test drive one and I wanted to keep my wife happy. I am using the adaptive drive as my default in the 530e and the ride is very smooth. Cornering seems fine.

Size. I definitely feel the difference in size. Personally, I prefer a smaller car but couldn't get the features I wanted in the 330e. If size were the only determinant, I would stay with the 3 series; heck I would even go to a 2 series if they had one with the features I want.

MPG. I don't especially care about this (I only put on about 7K miles a year) but I do care about the environment so I have taken some measurements as a proxy for air cleanliness. On a trip to another city for a few days, I only plugged in before I left and got about 35 mpg overall. Most of my other driving is local with an occasional 20-30 mile trip thrown in to my office or a golf course. I have been getting between 40-55 mpg. And I drive with a bit of a lead foot. I seemed to get less mileage out of my 330e, weird as that sounds.

Upholstery. This was one of the prime reasons for me to change to the 530e. I thought the Dakota on the 330e was very rough and not what I would expect from a luxury vehicle. Accordingly, getting Nappa or Merino was a requirement for me. I ended up with Mocha Nappa which is beautifully soft and smooth (I would have preferred the individual Merino caramel black but I could not wait for the additional many months to order it). I love it. I also ordered the leather dash which completed the interior.

seats. I got the multicontour seats with the messaging function. They are very nice. I could never get completely comfortable in my 330e, especially at the head rest; the seats in my 530e are wonderfully comfortable and the headrest is a pleasure.

Handling. Even though it is bigger, the 530e seems to handle as well as my prior 330e. It does feel a bit bigger but not as much as I expected.

Other features. The 530e came with a number of features that I could not get on a 330e. The complete driver assistance package, self parking, newer, larger IDrive, and nightvision. Also the HUD is much larger and more readable on the 5 series.

I wonder what the new G20 will look like. While I am glad I went to the 530e, if the G20 version were available, I might have gone for it depending upon how I could configure it.

One final thought. My 330e was purchased off a dealer lot (my dealership bought it from a dealer in another state and trucked it down to me) whereas I ordered the 530e to my specifications. So it is not a perfect comparison.
I would have opted for new 3 as well but they are far away from being bargains. I’d wager you could lease a 5 for less for the next year or two. Leaks reveal a smaller 5 series looking car with a bit more aggressive look up front. That said if they can match the luxury side in the next it would be a consideration after the the 5 I have on order. I had a 330e as loaner for a while n the battery was never charged and I still didn’t mind it one bit. So I’m stoked on what may be and like you I drive very little but when I do I want to love what I’m in. Thanks for sharing all your info, has certainly helped me a ton n I’ll be more proactive mtsekfbas I know a lot of us have questions in particular scenarios and the info first hand is little and just some initial reviews
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

When I was buying my car I also test drove a loaded Volvo TC60 with 400 HP. I was disappointed with the way it performed. It didn't feel like 400 HP and I felt like the 530e seemed quicker.

It seems to me that HP is only one component to a performance vehicle. transmission, transmission settings, smoothness of the engine, suspension, etc. are all equally important to get a balanced ride. While I would love another 50HP, the 530e does meet my needs.

It does appear that we have similar desires. I ordered my 530e with nappa seats, leather dash, dynamic handling package, nightvision, MSport, and both driving assistance packages. Basically, I got pretty much everything except the alcantara headliner (I never lookup; went out to my 330e to check before ordering and decided that the alcantara headliner was not necessary. I made the same decision on the ceramic buttons.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530e xDrive

Quote:
seats. I got the multicontour seats with the messaging function. They are very nice.
I have a 330e now and my lease is up in July 2019. I hope I'll have the option of either the new G20 plug in hybrid or the 530e. Being in Arizona, can you speak to the effectiveness of the ventilated seats that come in the Luxury Seating Packaging?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I was buying my car I also test drove a loaded Volvo TC60 with 400 HP. I was disappointed with the way it performed. It didn't feel like 400 HP and I felt like the 530e seemed quicker.

It seems to me that HP is only one component to a performance vehicle. transmission, transmission settings, smoothness of the engine, suspension, etc. are all equally important to get a balanced ride. While I would love another 50HP, the 530e does meet my needs.

It does appear that we have similar desires. I ordered my 530e with nappa seats, leather dash, dynamic handling package, nightvision, MSport, and both driving assistance packages. Basically, I got pretty much everything except the alcantara headliner (I never lookup; went out to my 330e to check before ordering and decided that the alcantara headliner was not necessary. I made the same decision on the ceramic buttons.
Yeah our circumstances are different but I certainly have the same taste or desires for the 5. Yours is much more equipped than what I could afford to order.

Didn't go for the nappa, nightvision or driving added driving assistance but honestly ok in my neck of the woods. For me the dakota wasn't the issue as was the actual seats in the f series cars and there's never a dark place on my routes here in LA let alone much freeway, highway driving on my part where I could even use the added cruise control stuff. I agree on the alcantara and ceramics, honestly really really low priority and barely noticeable. This may not be popular opinion, but i think Alcantara feels cheap to me, its not like its actual suede. Have had it in other car seats and i think its meh. One odd thing is, and i don't know why, but my order came with leather dash standard in the M sport Package 2, i can't quite explain it as the online build does not reflect it but my official order sheet does so hope its the case.

One thing you may find interesting, as of the next 3, 8 and X series cars, the shifters are finally dramatically changing, a bit shorter and fatter with a reworked button layout.. aslo the start/stop button is now next to said shifter... looks pretty nice... Bet we see that in the LCI.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-07-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted8715 View Post
I have a 330e now and my lease is up in July 2019. I hope I'll have the option of either the new G20 plug in hybrid or the 530e. Being in Arizona, can you speak to the effectiveness of the ventilated seats that come in the Luxury Seating Packaging?
I will say this if your car is up in early 2019, you will have waaay better deals on a 2018 530e than a g20... considering the next 3 will probably debut this summer and release this fall. Additionally I expect the 2020 530 e being released in summer of 2019 so you have your options cut out for you for better or worse ( although i would not be surprised if BMW either extends the range and/or hp on the 5 plug in for the 2020 version to differentiate from the 3).

Your issue will be a good/bad one. As good karma, from my part, if you have at least a year i hope youre a BMWCCA member (you get a real $1500 off of your next lease or purchase). I was not aware of this so im SOL. Further more sign up for BMW events under your account for round the year ones that offer an additional $1000 coupon. (this i did do) These are all off your best negotiated too. If you knew all this just ignore me

Depending on timing, you may also just want to take the risk of ordering your next car (keep an eye on when the 2019 is released this year). If you order a 2019 5 series and it ends up delivered when the 2020 is released, you can take advantage of the monthly incentives, offers BMW mandates to push out inventory, except for you it would be off your own custom order. My car is yet to be delivered so if they convert to 2019 by the time i do, its likely i can do the same. A good game of chance that ultimately doesn't change anything and i still get a custom order.

If you guys dont already use or know of lease brokers... i highly recommend them. The company I use doesn't even charge anything but the prices i get undercut dealers by a ton. If you can't find one in AZ, feel free to ping me, California isn't that far.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
I will say this if your car is up in early 2019, you will have waaay better deals on a 2018 530e than a g20... considering the next 3 will probably debut this summer and release this fall. Additionally I expect the 2020 530 e being released in summer of 2019 so you have your options cut out for you for better or worse ( although i would not be surprised if BMW either extends the range and/or hp on the 5 plug in for the 2020 version to differentiate from the 3).

Your issue will be a good/bad one. As good karma, from my part, if you have at least a year i hope youre a BMWCCA member (you get a real $1500 off of your next lease or purchase). I was not aware of this so im SOL. Further more sign up for BMW events under your account for round the year ones that offer an additional $1000 coupon. (this i did do) These are all off your best negotiated too. If you knew all this just ignore me

Depending on timing, you may also just want to take the risk of ordering your next car (keep an eye on when the 2019 is released this year). If you order a 2019 5 series and it ends up delivered when the 2020 is released, you can take advantage of the monthly incentives, offers BMW mandates to push out inventory, except for you it would be off your own custom order. My car is yet to be delivered so if they convert to 2019 by the time i do, its likely i can do the same. A good game of chance that ultimately doesn't change anything and i still get a custom order.

If you guys dont already use or know of lease brokers... i highly recommend them. The company I use doesn't even charge anything but the prices i get undercut dealers by a ton. If you can't find one in AZ, feel free to ping me, California isn't that far.
I've been thinking the same things! Better deals, incentives, etc. on a 530e than a G20 next year.

As some good karma back your way, the BMWCCA no longer has the time requirement! I'll be signing up for it: https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate
When you say "Further more sign up for BMW events under your account" what account are you referring to? I've seen these events but they are never in a city near me (always a 5+ hour drive).

Also, the start of production for the 2019 model year of the 530e is 7/2018, end of production is 6/2019, so perfect timing for me to order a MY2019 and have it show up when the good incentives happen. At least I hope.

I'm sadly not in California or Arizona, but Iowa. I'd love to use a broker and skip all the hassle, especially if they don't charge a fee. I'd like to have my next BMW, if custom ordered delivered to the Performance Center, so dealer location doesn't really matter.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #8
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've been thinking the same things! Better deals, incentives, etc. on a 530e than a G20 next year.

As some good karma back your way, the BMWCCA no longer has the time requirement! I'll be signing up for it: https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate
When you say "Further more sign up for BMW events under your account" what account are you referring to? I've seen these events but they are never in a city near me (always a 5+ hour drive).

Also, the start of production for the 2019 model year of the 530e is 7/2018, end of production is 6/2019, so perfect timing for me to order a MY2019 and have it show up when the good incentives happen. At least I hope.

I'm sadly not in California or Arizona, but Iowa. I'd love to use a broker and skip all the hassle, especially if they don't charge a fee. I'd like to have my next BMW, if custom ordered delivered to the Performance Center, so dealer location doesn't really matter.

Whoa so that rebate doesn’t even involve the the dealer? cuz that’s honestly better as I never trust dealer to not just price adjust.. my broker didnt even tell them about my coupon yet and it really doesn't effect them anyhow as it's paid towards the lease and by BMW themselves.. and from what I see the BMWCCA doesn't mention that as an exclusion.

For the events go here https://ultimatebenefits.eventsbmw.com/ they update every month and some are just regional and actually just had one at Motorwerks during Minneapolis Auto show, Says TBD for 2019 but obviously already being planned http://calendar.eventsbmw.com/?token=bub and i bet anything they do it next year too at Motorwerks and the other ... some are nationally official.. some local, some will offer the coupons but you have to click and read to see... you have to participate before any ordering though but I don't think they expire in 3 months like they used to as when I asked they didnt say anything but i will be in a 4 month window myself.

N yes may be a five hour drive sometimes but for $1000 may be worth it and feel free to DM me as there may be other options.... might be able to pay it forward for you sharing the CCA info. You may have given me another $1000 although I see it can’t be combined with fleet and I might be getting a $500 discount there but I’ll find out soon if they are even using it for my deal. But $500 in difference is still is a near a car payment so that’s not shabby either and I can easily opt out of the that fleet discount if need be. (other major cities also tend to have these lease brokers where there are multiple BMW dealers so maybe in Minny or Illinois?)

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-08-2018 at 04:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
You may have given me another $1000 although I see it can’t be combined with fleet
Good information about the CCA rebate. In planning my numbers, I too had been looking at the fleet discount, however the CCA is $1k vs $500 for the fleet so it may be the better of the two.

What kills me is that in just the last 2 months, the Lease Credit from BMW for the 530e has dropped from $2,000 down to just $500, which is less than the $1,000 lease credit for the non-hybrid 5's, and it also dropped across the board for the 330e, 740e, and xDrive40e. Wonder if the summer rise in gas prices is causing them to not throw a lot of incentives on the hybrids.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Good information about the CCA rebate. In planning my numbers, I too had been looking at the fleet discount, however the CCA is $1k vs $500 for the fleet so it may be the better of the two.

What kills me is that in just the last 2 months, the Lease Credit from BMW for the 530e has dropped from $2,000 down to just $500, which is less than the $1,000 lease credit for the non-hybrid 5's, and it also dropped across the board for the 330e, 740e, and xDrive40e. Wonder if the summer rise in gas prices is causing them to not throw a lot of incentives on the hybrids.
Yeah it did get worse I’ve been pricing this car since Xmas n it’s stuck at $500 even before the gas hike. I’d say it has more just do with how popular the car is and getting the government rebates. They’re selling like hot cakes. I will say even still after a lot of pricing I still got a better quote at the end than I did in Xmas by the time I ordered late March. BMW lease deals have gotten worse across the range and only just reintroduced MSDs officially if you had one prior ( which you also have to force the dealer to even look into... depressing when you know more than they do). If you try hard enough you can get these dealers to sell you the car 10k under msrp to make up for the difference, then add in anything discussed, MSD, coupons, gov rebates n it’s ending up as much if not less than what I’m paying for my 435. Some dealers will hide the money factor from you though as BMW has mandated that too.

I’m in a weird back n forth where I’m going to lease but part of me wants to buy the car just because of the $4500 federal rebate... but buying a new hybrid BMW that will probably change next year a bit gives me pause and asking for trouble. I thought my current car was perfect until it started having camera defects. Would love to know what others did or are going to do and lol please convince me I don’t need to buy
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I hope the lease incentive goes back up for the hybrids, otherwise might have to consider buying to get the tax credit. They’re going to have to do something I’d think, no one seems to want a sedan anymore. Also, the money factor went up to 0.00166 for May! Add in no more MSDs, and my dreams of a second BMW might be DOA.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope the lease incentive goes back up for the hybrids, otherwise might have to consider buying to get the tax credit. They’re going to have to do something I’d think, no one seems to want a sedan anymore. Also, the money factor went up to 0.00166 for May! Add in no more MSDs, and my dreams of a second BMW might be DOA.
If you have an MSD now it may exist later. Think the sedan thing is more towards economy cars vs niche or luxury. I still find most CUVs n SUVs unattractive. As long as you order your car in a good month you should be able to lock that money factor I believe but yeah it’s worse in general. BMW is no longer the best in the lease game.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it did get worse I’ve been pricing this car since Xmas n it’s stuck at $500 even before the gas hike. I’d say it has more just do with how popular the car is and getting the government rebates. They’re selling like hot cakes. I will say even still after a lot of pricing I still got a better quote at the end than I did in Xmas by the time I ordered late March. BMW lease deals have gotten worse across the range and only just reintroduced MSDs officially if you had one prior ( which you also have to force the dealer to even look into... depressing when you know more than they do). If you try hard enough you can get these dealers to sell you the car 10k under msrp to make up for the difference, then add in anything discussed, MSD, coupons, gov rebates n it’s ending up as much if not less than what I’m paying for my 435. Some dealers will hide the money factor from you though as BMW has mandated that too.

I’m in a weird back n forth where I’m going to lease but part of me wants to buy the car just because of the $4500 federal rebate... but buying a new hybrid BMW that will probably change next year a bit gives me pause and asking for trouble. I thought my current car was perfect until it started having camera defects. Would love to know what others did or are going to do and lol please convince me I don’t need to buy
Haha well I'm in the same boat, hate to miss out on the federal credit but I figured I would lease and then at the end of the term if I liked it and nothing new was out, I would just do a buyout. However with the lease incentive dropping, but the $4,000 APR Credit still being there, plus Loyalty and BMWCCA, it makes it more tempting to buy.

My main hesitation for buying is the same as yours, in 3 years when the lease would be up, the LCI G30 would be out with a likely improved hybrid range and more tech features(which could always be retrofitted), along with the iX3 and maybe other new i-vehicles by that point. Since I'm not in a rush as I'm waiting for 2019 production, I'm hoping to see more details about the new G05 X5 and what the hybrid tech there looks like, as it might be an indicator of future "range" (and possibly be enough to sway me towards getting one of those lol).
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #14
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha well I'm in the same boat, hate to miss out on the federal credit but I figured I would lease and then at the end of the term if I liked it and nothing new was out, I would just do a buyout. However with the lease incentive dropping, but the $4,000 APR Credit still being there, plus Loyalty and BMWCCA, it makes it more tempting to buy.

My main hesitation for buying is the same as yours, in 3 years when the lease would be up, the LCI G30 would be out with a likely improved hybrid range and more tech features(which could always be retrofitted), along with the iX3 and maybe other new i-vehicles by that point. Since I'm not in a rush as I'm waiting for 2019 production, I'm hoping to see more details about the new G05 X5 and what the hybrid tech there looks like, as it might be an indicator of future "range" (and possibly be enough to sway me towards getting one of those lol).

Hate that BMW doesn't pay the tax credit forward like they do on their i3s. Didn't know about apr credit (says $3,000 in my region)... blurgh (additionally there is a $2,500 apr credit for fleet for my sake vs using CCA) lol man i hate this math... not to mention BMWNA is giving me a cash rebate due to my current car issues. Does that APR credit only work if you finance through BMW? Their rates are very high at 3.99% vs what a credit union would offer.

It's wild but if i bought the car (67k msrp) after using my current MSD as a down payment and all the rebates, cash i'd get, I'd only owe 45K even after tax and title... which makes it even more tempting but a lease is like 20k sooo what do you really do when its always a depreciating asset and as mentioned by you what if you just want something else next. Value Proposition balance is mind numbing when you can't predict.

Side note: the g20 3 series is getting some much overdue 5 series like features like even autohold, ebrake, and im sure that hybrid or electric is going to be good too and so nothing to say I dont go back down in 3 years so buying something pricier now may not end up saving any money if i get that in 3. Tech really kills wanting to keep a car long term nowadays. Its so wasteful but what can you do.

I guess I am more hesitant to buy due to possible mechanical/electrical issues more than even hanging on to a car for that long or cost of ownership... its why i started leasing in the first place so I never have to worry about those things and if something happens it doesn't loom.

Sorry to thread Jack a little of OPs post but hopefully all this info helps him too.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 05-08-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #15
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to thread Jack a little of OPs post but hopefully all this info helps him too.
Ya, I never got my ventilated seat question answered! (I’ve always wanted to use that one)

As for the leasing vs buying discussion, I agree, I like leasing so I can upgrade to the latest tech and not have to work about long term reliability, depreciation, etc. The reality though appears to be different, everything changes so much every three years there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to even get the same car you have now for anywhere near the same price.

I love everything about my 330e, I’d just like more tech features like the 530e offers. A well equipped 530e would be a good candidate to buy for long term ownership except that I’m worried about reliablity and a well equipped 530e for purchase it a bit too expensive for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya, I never got my ventilated seat question answered! (I’ve always wanted to use that one)

As for the leasing vs buying discussion, I agree, I like leasing so I can upgrade to the latest tech and not have to work about long term reliability, depreciation, etc. The reality though appears to be different, everything changes so much every three years there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to even get the same car you have now for anywhere near the same price.

I love everything about my 330e, I’d just like more tech features like the 530e offers. A well equipped 530e would be a good candidate to buy for long term ownership except that I’m worried about reliablity and a well equipped 530e for purchase it a bit too expensive for me.
the ventilated seats work well but its more like a fan than actual ac cooling. Depends on what you are wearing... in shorts sure, but in pants you may not even notice. I've had them previously but it didnt make it a huge deal this time. There's a lot of people who ended up hating the massaging seats though as the bladders actually made the seat unfcomfy.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
roxxor
Major
Rep

AMEN to depreciation, it's another reason for leasing in my mind! My 2013 328i with 73k miles was stickered at $49k, and even after factoring in all of the options I have retrofitted to it over the years(it has every option you could have minus ACC and HUD, plus some things you couldn't get on a 3 series at that time), I'd be lucky to get $14k in trade or $17k private according to KBB. I had originally thought about getting a used 15/16 F10 to avoid depreciation on a new one, but after seeing all the tech in the G30, I was converted.

Even with the new tech the G20 might get(Live Cockpit maybe?), I'm at the point of wanting something with a bit more room, plus I doubt BMW will give the 3-series Night Vision, which originally was going to be a neat gimmicky thing for me, but now that I drive in dark rural areas more frequently, I see it as more of a necessity.

Just to stay on topic lol, I have never had the ventilated seats in a car I've owned, and ones that I have ridden in which did have them, never felt like it did much. I personally won't get the Luxury Seating Package or Nappa Leather on the G30, only because I dislike the pattern and flat looking shape of the Nappa seats. The Dakota sport seats with Multi Contour just look better IMO.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #18
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just to stay on topic lol, I have never had the ventilated seats in a car I've owned, and ones that I have ridden in which did have them, never felt like it did much. I personally won't get the Luxury Seating Package or Nappa Leather on the G30, only because I dislike the pattern and flat looking shape of the Nappa seats. The Dakota sport seats with Multi Contour just look better IMO.
Looking at the configurator, Multi Contour seats appear to be the same shape regardless of selected leather type.

As for depreciation, I’m not too worried about that. To me it’s either lease a new car evey 2 - 3 years or buy a car and keep it for 10+ years. But I don’t think BMWs are the best cars to keep for 10+ years compared to a Toyota or Lexus. I just cannot stand the infotainment in the Lexus.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #19
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the configurator, Multi Contour seats appear to be the same shape regardless of selected leather type.

As for depreciation, I’m not too worried about that. To me it’s either lease a new car evey 2 - 3 years or buy a car and keep it for 10+ years. But I don’t think BMWs are the best cars to keep for 10+ years compared to a Toyota or Lexus. I just cannot stand the infotainment in the Lexus.
SPOT on... as crazy and sad as it is, the infotainment is why i moved away from Lexus... Mercedes is also pretty sad... mute colors, janky interaction... yay! lol
Car guys tend to not care but i don't know why its all mutually exclusive anyhow, you can be a car guy and still have other priorities or desires.

The Multi Contours are the same as you see in the 7 series as well.. and yes the only thing that changes with Nappa or otherwise is just the material unless you get the massaging seats that have other parts built in.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #20
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SPOT on... as crazy and sad as it is, the infotainment is why i moved away from Lexus... Mercedes is also pretty sad... mute colors, janky interaction... yay! lol
Car guys tend to not care but i don't know why its all mutually exclusive anyhow, you can be a car guy and still have other priorities or desires.

The Multi Contours are the same as you see in the 7 series as well.. and yes the only thing that changes with Nappa or otherwise is just the material unless you get the massaging seats that have other parts built in.
I agree! The E-Class infotainment felt like the did everything the opposite of iDrive just to be differnet. I find the technology and driver assistance tech just as interesting and appealing as the performance side.

I just want a well balanced sedan/wagon/hatch (no SUVs) that gets good fuel economy, has good driver assistance and infotainment tech, with Toyota reliability and the ventilated seats from a Lincoln*. But I don't think anyone makes that car.

*My mother has a Lincoln MKC and I love driving it when she visits in the summer, those seats are effective!
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      05-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #21
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree! The E-Class infotainment felt like the did everything the opposite of iDrive just to be differnet. I find the technology and driver assistance tech just as interesting and appealing as the performance side.

I just want a well balanced sedan/wagon/hatch (no SUVs) that gets good fuel economy, has good driver assistance and infotainment tech, with Toyota reliability and the ventilated seats from a Lincoln*. But I don't think anyone makes that car.

*My mother has a Lincoln MKC and I love driving it when she visits in the summer, those seats are effective!
Comfort is very underrated. while i love the power of the v6 and all, i also find it quite a pleasure when i drive my sisters hybrid lexus es which is very relaxed with comfy seats. So i think the BMW 5 hybrids are a great compromise between.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #22
ted8715
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Comfort is very underrated. while i love the power of the v6 and all, i also find it quite a pleasure when i drive my sisters hybrid lexus es which is very relaxed with comfy seats. So i think the BMW 5 hybrids are a great compromise between.
Agree on comfort. Here in Iowa, my driving is either though winter pot holes or summer construction... and straight roads for hours to get anywhere. Having just come back from vacation in California where we rented a 430i Convertible to drive in the mountains, I can say there a car like the M4 would be worth it. Though I have to say the roads in CA are worse than here in several places.

The new 2019 Lexus ES looks... good. http://www.lexus.com/future/ES/#/

We'll see if the infotainment is any better. I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited by ted8715; 05-08-2018 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50