BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 540ixMsport—a little disappointed

06-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 540ixMsport

New 540ixMsport—a little disappointed

This is a great car and a big step up from my ‘16 340iMsport. Unfortunately, on 19” AS Conti ProSports SSR tires the ride is quite a bit more jarring than I was hoping. I have the 704 suspension. Even running 3psi under inflated the suspension is not happy with these NJ roads. Any recommendations, other than moving! Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, that’s ProContact, not ProSport.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

I have read several complaints about runflats, and I'm thinking about switching to "go flats" on my car. I got the OEM spare tire option when I ordered the car--you can buy it from a dealer or online but the price may be quite steep and trunk space is compromised.
The stiff sidewalls of runflats really compromise the ride quality--with low profile tires the effect is exacerbated. You may have more bubbles/blowouts as well
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-01-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
This is a great car and a big step up from my ‘16 340iMsport. Unfortunately, on 19” AS Conti ProSports SSR tires the ride is quite a bit more jarring than I was hoping. I have the 704 suspension. Even running 3psi under inflated the suspension is not happy with these NJ roads. Any recommendations, other than moving! Appreciated.
You already have a grand touring tire. The other grand touring option bmw uses at the factory is the pirelli p7. According to tirerack.com reviews, it has similar ride comfort to the Continental.

Sounds like you would have enjoyed the dynamic damper option, but too late now.

Consider switching to non run flat grand touring tires such as Michelin and get an inflator kit.
      06-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niju321 View Post
I have read several complaints about runflats, and I'm thinking about switching to "go flats" on my car. I got the OEM spare tire option when I ordered the car--you can buy it from a dealer or online but the price may be quite steep and trunk space is compromised.
The stiff sidewalls of runflats really compromise the ride quality--with low profile tires the effect is exacerbated. You may have more bubbles/blowouts as well
We're on 3rd generation run flats on current BMWs. Many of the negatives associated with earlier generation run flats have been vastly improved in these 3rd Gen tires. Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli are all doing a good job with their 3rd Gen tires.

Obviously those drivers desiring a less jarring response from potholes, may find non run flats to be a better ride. But buy quality, not crap, because in the non run flat world there's a lot of crap being sold at tire stores.
530iDriver1707.50
      06-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
We're on 3rd generation run flats on current BMWs. Many of the negatives associated with earlier generation run flats have been vastly improved in these 3rd Gen tires. Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli are all doing a good job with their 3rd Gen tires.

Obviously those drivers desiring a less jarring response from potholes, may find non run flats to be a better ride. But buy quality, not crap, because in the non run flat world there's a lot of crap being sold at tire stores.
I have read that these run-flats are much better than previous generations (my Pirellis are at least reasonably quiet), but with the condition of roads in my area the bumps are jarring (and, I suspect, rattle inducing)--would definitely replace with quality tires (thinking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niju321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

I have read that these run-flats are much better than previous generations (my Pirellis are at least reasonably quiet), but with the condition of roads in my area the bumps are jarring (and, I suspect, rattle inducing)--would definitely replace with quality tires (thinking Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+)
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a sportier tire than the run flat grand touring discussed here. The Michelin MXM would be a grand touring tire with a softer and quieter ride. How much softer, I don't know. Read up!

Next time I suggest looking at the dynamic damper option.
      06-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I got the dymanic dampers and glad I did. I had the 704 suspension on my prior car and my wife hated it leading me to get the dymanic dampers.

But that won't help you. Best advice is what you have received above...changing tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
the newer runflats ARE better, but not the best. I have the Pirellis and have already had two tires bubble. I have no real other option since i drive so much and won't compromise trunk space. If I did change, I'd get michelins for sure, always the best
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:23 AM   #10
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I got the dymanic dampers and glad I did. I had the 704 suspension on my prior car and my wife hated it leading me to get the dymanic dampers.

It always amazes that many who factory order expensive bimmers don't add Adaptive Suspension/Dynamic Chassis Control.

Out of all options, it's the one that has the most transformative effect regardless of your driving style.

Basically a $700 bargain that negates the need to change to Non-RFT.

I have driven the G30 with and without adaptive suspension and the differencd is night and day. Handling, weight transfer, comfort, body roll is so improved that it feels like a different car.

It transforms the car from good to exceptional.

I have specced it on both my cars that will be delivered soon and I will unlikely never want to buy a BMW without the option.

The only reason not to add it if you plan to use aftermarket springs and shocks.
      06-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #11
S6F
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great, seeking some help and you make someone feel like total shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, seeking some help and you make someone feel like total shit.
I'm not sure what he's comparing to, but the dynamic damper option isn't going to reduce body roll, except maybe a bit in Sport mode. Springs are taller, softer, car sits 10mm taller than 704 suspension. Dynamic damper is designed to get close to 704 suspension while in Sport mode, but allow a much softer feel when in comfort mode.

If you wanted a truly "better" sport suspension you'd need to order the dynamic handling package on a 540. A pretty expensive option.
      06-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #13
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
It always amazes that many who factory order expensive bimmers don't add Adaptive Suspension/Dynamic Chassis Control.

Out of all options, it's the one that has the most transformative effect regardless of your driving style.

The only reason not to add it if you plan to use aftermarket springs and shocks.
Well, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it is also objectively not true.

I specifically chose NOT to have the adaptive suspension on my otherwise fully loaded 540iX G31. There were several reasons for that:
  • As a more knowledgable member points below it raises the springs 10mm and makes the car wallowy in its Comfort setting. Which, let's face it, is what owners do 90% of the time
  • I test drove several different 540:s, with DCC, Adaptive Dampers, the like and chose the firmer, more progressive setting of the passive M-dampers
  • Damping preference is a personal setting - My other car is an M3 F80, riding on 20inch 666 wheels. I'd say the 540 is pretty comfortable in comparison. If you compare to, idk, a Rolls, well it would feel more of a sports car.. Relative this.
  • Passive dampers save approx 40kg mass, for me that was non neglible
  • I don't like the fact that I cannot choose a default driving mode (yet), so I didn't want to sit in a wallowy cruiser by default before I get irritated enough to press a button

So, now you have several (new) reasons to be amazed at

I miss the Goldilocks tuning of older days on BMW, where the car just felt "right". The passive M-Sport is, IMHO, closest to that.
Also, even though RFTs have become much better there is no comparison between those and the premium non-RFTs and no amount of trick suspension can compensate for the reduced unsprung mass - you will always have the sensation of moving from leaden boots to running trainers..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Even running 3psi under inflated the suspension is not happy with these NJ roads. Any recommendations, other than moving! Appreciated.
Running under inflated on RFT is the worst thing you can do for ride quality. It puts more pressure on the rigid sidewalls and will transmit much more vibrations and impacts to the car making the ride worse not better. It also will increase your propensity to have bubbles and need to replace the tire.

Do yourself a favor and follow the tire inflation recommendation in idrive. If you need to soften the ride, switch to non rft tires. It makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes echo about tyre pressures if only from ensuring that you get the best wear wise from them.
I have a shortcut button assigned to the tyre pressures so I can keep an eye on them especially when the ambient temps drop and the pressures reduce.

Re default mode I think I've seen here that that can be coded if you are prepared to go down that route, other more experienced coders will be able to confirm that either way.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #16
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Well, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it is also objectively not true.

I specifically chose NOT to have the adaptive suspension on my otherwise fully loaded 540iX G31. There were several reasons for that:
  • As a more knowledgable member points below it raises the springs 10mm and makes the car wallowy in its Comfort setting. Which, let's face it, is what owners do 90% of the time
  • I test drove several different 540:s, with DCC, Adaptive Dampers, the like and chose the firmer, more progressive setting of the passive M-dampers
  • Damping preference is a personal setting - My other car is an M3 F80, riding on 20inch 666 wheels. I'd say the 540 is pretty comfortable in comparison. If you compare to, idk, a Rolls, well it would feel more of a sports car.. Relative this.
  • I don't like the fact that I cannot choose a default driving mode (yet), so I didn't want to sit in a wallowy cruiser by default before I get irritated enough to press a button

I miss the Goldilocks tuning of older days on BMW, where the car just felt "right". The passive M-Sport is, IMHO, closest to that.
Also, even though RFTs have become much better there is no comparison between those and the premium non-RFTs and no amount of trick suspension can compensate for the reduced unsprung mass - you will always have the sensation of moving from leaden boots to running trainers..
I agree with this above ^. I had DCC, adaptive dampers on my 435GC, and I honestly never took it out of sport. It’s a nice have, but certainly not an essential in my opinion. Riding on 20’s even on UK roads I find the suspension excellent with very little body roll. Horses for courses .

Tyre brand choice on the other hand is far more important.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

Re default mode I think I've seen here that that can be coded if you are prepared to go down that route, other more experienced coders will be able to confirm that either way.
Correct. G30 has BDC_Body module and you can FDL code to remember last driving mode used. Can also FDL code new default driving mode.
      06-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Why don't Bmw offer these features when they have taken the trouble to include it in the code?
I mean if they never intended it to be a user option , why? I can't see the point even from when they are testing prior to launch?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Why don't Bmw offer these features when they have taken the trouble to include it in the code?
I mean if they never intended it to be a user option , why? I can't see the point even from when they are testing prior to launch?
Some of the coding options are used in other markets.

I imagine in US, the default mode is always Comfort to allow BMW to obtain the EPA ratings on the window sticker. Also, I'm pretty sure dealers would have customers coming in wondering why their car lost power......All because they set Eco mode and forgot to move it back to Comfort.
      06-06-2019, 09:46 PM   #20
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post

Looks like BMW is coming back to their senses and have put in passive "lift related" dampers in the new 3 series. Back to something that is basic and yet works beautifully without the crazy electronics. Hope they will bring it to the 5 series. Maybe next gen?
Appreciate 0