BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Front view camera

06-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
Grit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Front view camera

I had a front “parking” camera installed on my recently purchase certified pre owned G30. Ordered by vin number from bimmer-tech. The nearest recommended installer was 3 hrs drive, and they had NEVER installed one. Long story short...it works great but is designed for parallel parking and is NOT JUST a FRONT VIEW CAMERA as I anticipated. The camera view is incredibly good BUT is active by putting the car in reverse, THEN drive! I believe the camera could have been activated with the idrive or a button push but now “it is what it is!”
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
If you're talking about what I think you are, you "can" just see the front cam without putting in reverse but you need to hit the camera button and then choose the view you want - should be about 5-6 choices depending on how many cameras you have. And yes, it's a pain if you want to do it quickly. I do like that it comes on automatically when pulling into a parking space with a curb or your garage. And if I come in to the garage too fast, the car slams on it's brakes before I hit my wife's BMW that's parked in front of my car - we have a 3 car garage, one side is tandem though since we could only fit a two garage on the lot in terms of width.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Grit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Bimmer-tech camera

First dif750 thanks for the reply. I did find a button but don’t know how it works? Tried pushing it without noticing any change however I likely must push and hold the button in to activate a change??? There is a remote control that bummer-tech says is to change the mode...whatever that means and the guy I talked to from the distributor thought it was to switch between devices???? I’m pretty much dissatisfy with the lack of support, instruction, from bimmer-tech. Putting the car in reverse to activate the front camera is a pain.

Last edited by Grit; 06-09-2019 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Changing context
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlf750 View Post
If you're talking about what I think you are, you "can" just see the front cam without putting in reverse but you need to hit the camera button and then choose the view you want - should be about 5-6 choices depending on how many cameras you have. And yes, it's a pain if you want to do it quickly. I do like that it comes on automatically when pulling into a parking space with a curb or your garage. And if I come in to the garage too fast, the car slams on it's brakes before I hit my wife's BMW that's parked in front of my car - we have a 3 car garage, one side is tandem though since we could only fit a two garage on the lot in terms of width.
He has an aftermarket solution so there's no guarantee that it will function the way our OEM system does.

OP, unless someone else has that same install, I don't know how much help we can give you - we can tell you how it works with the factory system but yours might be set up differently. You need to find out from the supplier how its meant to work, then determine if yours works in accordance with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
First dif750 thanks for the reply. I did find a button but don’t know how it works? Tried pushing it without noticing any change however I likely must push and hold the button in to activate a change??? There is a remote control that bummer-tech says is to change the mode...whatever that means and the guy I talked to from the distributor thought it was to switch between devices???? I’m pretty much dissatisfy with the lack of support, instruction, from bimmer-tech. Putting the car in reverse to activate the front camera is a pain.
ah, bimmertech... you might have to deal with them directly. I did use Bimmertech once on my old 750, replaced and coded a steering wheel from them, and they were actually very helpful. I had to get them on the horn anyway so they could remote code from Germany or wherever they're located...
Appreciate 0