BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Audio formats for HK

01-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I've read a lot about people playing .flac files for the best sound but that option doesn't appear to exist for HK system. In fact it doesn't look like HK supports any uncompressed format. I'm guessing that flac is just a BW thing.

A separate note, very disappointed that MKV isn't supported for video. Come on BMW.
      01-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Although I have tried flax myself , I thought that people had been able to play that format.
I can vouch that you can play .wav and .wma (including lossless compressed)
(In fact that format may the best of both worlds as you maintain the best sound quality and also can display the album artwork if so desired.)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I've read a lot about people playing .flac files for the best sound but that option doesn't appear to exist for HK system. In fact it doesn't look like HK supports any uncompressed format. I'm guessing that flac is just a BW thing.

A separate note, very disappointed that MKV isn't supported for video. Come on BMW.
I'm assuming you have already loaded files onto your hard drive and are now trying to play/convert them to FLAC files? You cannot do that. If you've copied CD's as MP3, they will always remain and play as MP3 on the hard drive.

Your system will play FLAC files stored on a USB stick, but you will obviously need to purchase or convert your music into FLAC before you try and play it in your car.

You can save FLAC files onto your car's hard drive from a USB stick, although the BMW software actually will recode it into another file type (called B29, I think?) but I think it will maintain broadly the same quality as FLAC.

I would experiment with FLAC and MP3 on a stick and see if you notice any difference. If you want to play uncompressed FLAC, they will be large files that will fill up the hard drive quickly, so it would probably be best to get a large capacity USB stick, then store and play them from that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Actually I tried playing flac files from a USB stick. Looks like B&W will play them but not HK according the user manual. The only real high quality format HK plays is ACC lossless. Which is fine but I have a bunch of flac already. But CD is always the best format.
      03-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

Quote:
Actually I tried playing flac files from a USB stick. Looks like B&W will play them but not HK according the user manual. The only real high quality format HK plays is ACC lossless. Which is fine but I have a bunch of flac already. But CD is always the best format.
I apologise, I made a reasonable assumption that your HK system would play it as my base level system does and I assumed the source in both systems was effectively the same. I knew the HK involved a difference in amplification and speaker system but I didn't realise the head unit/ source was different too. I have found a higher bit rate AAC to sound quite good too, so I would probably opt for that as an alternative?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:03 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:

I use flac all the time with system.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:15 AM   #7
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:

I use flac all the time with system.
I believe you but I have been able to get flac to work from Ian stock and BMW says it isn't supported. See below.
Holly SHIT I just noticed that my phone is showing "5Ge" for its cellular connection. When did that happen. 😲😲
Attached Images

03-29-2019, 03:30 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I believe you but I have been able to get flac to work from Ian stock and BMW says it isn't supported. See below.
Holly SHIT I just noticed that my phone is showing "5Ge" for its cellular connection. When did that happen. 😲😲
I have never tried connecting phone for anything other than calls and SMS. I use USB flash drives and HD. Have you tried the same?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 03:51 AM   #9
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have never tried connecting phone for anything other than calls and SMS. I use USB flash drives and HD. Have you tried the same?
That is how I did it. I had ACC file and FLAC files on USB but it only saw ACC. I'll have to try again. Do you have HK or B&W?
      03-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That is how I did it. I had ACC file and FLAC files on USB but it only saw ACC. I'll have to try again. Do you have HK or B&W?
I have used with HK, B&O, B&W on NBT and NBT2.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
GreQonE
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: '2011 E92 LCI 335i

You can convert the files to WMA Lossless standard (9.2), easiest to do so is to use software like dbPowerAmp - there's a free trial

After conversion it retains all of the Album Covers, names etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #12
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have used with HK, B&O, B&W on NBT and NBT2.
Right Again. Even though BMW user manual doesn't say flac it does indeed play flac files. It will also play the audio stream from a mkv file but not the video. There are a lot of converters, Media Monkey is one of the better ones. I will allow to organize flac file. Something iTunes doesn't allow.
      04-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #13
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

I have also played Flac from USB memory stick on the HK system.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:37 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If you have windows 10 , you can also rip from there to give you lossless wma.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Right Again. Even though BMW user manual doesn't say flac it does indeed play flac files. It will also play the audio stream from a mkv file but not the video. There are a lot of converters, Media Monkey is one of the better ones. I will allow to organize flac file. Something iTunes doesn't allow.
My former F010 and F015 played mkv and avi, including video. But, that could be because I enabled additional codecs.

Have not used any Apple products in 20 years, so I could not say. I use Mp3tag, but I am sure there are others to organize.
Appreciate 0