BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding BMW Connected App - launch based on profile?

04-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

BMW Connected App - launch based on profile?

Is there a way, either from the phone (Android) or car to have it so the phone BMW Connected app only connects/launches when certain driver profiles are active?

Problem is our garage is situated in our house such that basically the entire living space is in bluetooth range. Mrs. Lee and I both drive the car. So anytime I'm staying home and she heads off somewhere, my life is basically this:
- Garage opens
- Sweet, sweet V8 rumble
- Phone buzzes like crazy and BMW Connected splash screen takes over

She also has the app on her own phone, with her own BMW Connected login to save her own addresses or whatever, so I imagine it's also connecting to her phone as well (this this is what happens when we are both in the car together).

Basically - I want/need the Connected app to launch on engine start but only on the phone belonging to the driver whose profile is loaded, not on every paired phone in the general vicinity of the vehicle. Is there a way?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Is there a way, either from the phone (Android) or car to have it so the phone BMW Connected app only connects/launches when certain driver profiles are active?

Problem is our garage is situated in our house such that basically the entire living space is in bluetooth range. Mrs. Lee and I both drive the car. So anytime I'm staying home and she heads off somewhere, my life is basically this:
- Garage opens
- Sweet, sweet V8 rumble
- Phone buzzes like crazy and BMW Connected splash screen takes over

She also has the app on her own phone, with her own BMW Connected login to save her own addresses or whatever, so I imagine it's also connecting to her phone as well (this this is what happens when we are both in the car together).

Basically - I want/need the Connected app to launch on engine start but only on the phone belonging to the driver whose profile is loaded, not on every paired phone in the general vicinity of the vehicle. Is there a way?
There is no relationship between the app and driver profiles. The app actually talks to the BMW ConnectedDrive service and not the vehicle itself (unless you're plugging in via USB for a nav destination), so this is not possible today unless BMW starts syncing driver profiles to the cloud. I wouldn't count on that happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:09 PM   #3
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
There is no relationship between the app and driver profiles. The app actually talks to the BMW ConnectedDrive service and not the vehicle itself (unless you're plugging in via USB for a nav destination), so this is not possible today unless BMW starts syncing driver profiles to the cloud. I wouldn't count on that happening.
Wait, so I could open my app now (I'm at home), input a destination into my account, and when my wife gets in the car ~10 miles away in a few hours and it connects to her app (logged in to her account), it will somehow pull my destination I've entered? If that's the case I'm sending her to get tacos on the way home.

ETA: I just realized that you mean I can input a destination, and it sends to the car via ConnectedDrive (since the entire car is in my ConnectedDrive account), and the car just has that destination no matter who drives next. Would work same from Mrs. Lee's phone since the car is also in her ConnectedDrive account).

However, I'm thinking/hoping there's got to be some way to associate things somehow. There clearly is direct app>car communication via bluetooth since the damn thing (the app) starts up in my phone every time I get in the car, turn it on, and bluetooth connects. Would then the only solve be to remove my phone as the secondary device on Mrs. Lee's driver profile, so that when she's driving the car does not connect to my phone at all? I'd prefer not to do this because sometimes the passenger streams music or a call comes to their phone that we both want to be on.

ETA2: Just realized this isn't even a solution b/c car is stored in phone bluetooth and phone would initiate connection. Damn!

Last edited by gooselee; 04-05-2019 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: havent slept in 2 days
Appreciate 0