BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications RK Tunes M550 Intake Installation Question W/Stupid Active Grills

10-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #1
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

RK Tunes M550 Intake Installation Question W/Stupid Active Grills

Hi all,

How do I install the RK intakes with the active grills on the car. I really don't want to drop the bumper and don't really know what to do about It. Had the car all apart the other day and had to revert back to stock config because I couldn't figure out how to remove these stupid active grills. If It were up to me, I'd completely cut them off. Such a dumb idea but I dont want a CEL because of It. RK'a response to my request for instructions is "we don't offer an installation guide as they are very straight forward to install, sorry" my response to that is, if I'm asking for It, it's obviously not that straight forward. Dropping the bumper is not an option, had really bad experience doing that in the past.

About to return these things and get something else if I cant figure It out.

Thanks in advance!
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #2
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

i believe youtube should have some videos.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 09:53 PM   #3
RyanM550
Rep
Drives: 20 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
Hi all,

How do I install the RK intakes with the active grills on the car. I really don't want to drop the bumper and don't really know what to do about It. Had the car all apart the other day and had to revert back to stock config because I couldn't figure out how to remove these stupid active grills. If It were up to me, I'd completely cut them off. Such a dumb idea but I dont want a CEL because of It. RK'a response to my request for instructions is "we don't offer an installation guide as they are very straight forward to install, sorry" my response to that is, if I'm asking for It, it's obviously not that straight forward. Dropping the bumper is not an option, had really bad experience doing that in the past.

About to return these things and get something else if I cant figure It out.

Thanks in advance!
You don’t need to remove bumper … that’s my Black M550 in RK Tunes YT video … message me
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 10:13 PM   #4
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I haven't done this myself, but from what I understand, you leave the grille actuator motor in place so it doesn't throw a CEL, then hack off the plastic grille blades so the motor doesn't actually move anything. There's no way to do this without irreparably destroying the grille blades.

Do you need to remove the grille blades so the air filters fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 02:15 AM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

The active grills are simply bolted behind the grill trim. You can access the screws when removing the grill trim.

Also, everyone is cutting the slats off to delete the active grills when all you need to do is remove the arms that control the slats and the slats will come out easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
The active grills are simply bolted behind the grill trim. You can access the screws when removing the grill trim.

Also, everyone is cutting the slats off to delete the active grills when all you need to do is remove the arms that control the slats and the slats will come out easily.
Not true. I ended yo removing the active grills and now have a check Engine light that won't go away after clearing. It seems as though the arms have a pressure sensor.
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 11:29 PM   #7
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Code them out, simple. F90's don't have active grilles.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 09:40 PM   #8
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

I stumbled upon this video where the guy allegedly tells the secret to avoid the CEL after cutting out the shutters. Unfortunately what he actually did and why it works wasn't clear to me so if somebody else can figure it out I think we all would benefit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACmWdeExZk
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 04:46 PM   #9
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_M5 View Post
IgorM_5

You mentioned coding out the active shutters. Have you done this before? I know there's a million things that could be coded out, I just don't know if keeping the shutters open was a code or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #10
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duta569 View Post
Quote:
IgorM_5

You mentioned coding out the active shutters. Have you done this before? I know there's a million things that could be coded out, I just don't know if keeping the shutters open was a code or not?
There's no code for having them open or closed, the code AKKS in dme either enables or disabled them. Set Wert to 00.

I did a few true F90 conversions on G30 and that's how I went about removing them. If you don't remove them, make sure you code them out while they are open.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #11
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's no code for having them open or closed, the code AKKS in dme either enables or disabled them. Set Wert to 00.

I did a few true F90 conversions on G30 and that's how I went about removing them. If you don't remove them, make sure you code them out while they are open.
Igor -

If I'm understanding you correctly, they would be coded out from my tuner correct?

I have a custom tuner through BM3 and I also have a coder that uses ISTA software to code BMWs. I just wasn't sure if I should reach out to my tuner or coder?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 09:31 PM   #12
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duta569 View Post
Quote:

Igor -

If I'm understanding you correctly, they would be coded out from my tuner correct?

I have a custom tuner through BM3 and I also have a coder that uses ISTA software to code BMWs. I just wasn't sure if I should reach out to my tuner or coder?
Your coder, done using ESYS
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #13
Duta569
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your coder, done using ESYS
Thank you!
Appreciate 0