BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding 3D Remote Problem

01-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

3D Remote Problem

I am hoping someone can help because multiple calls to BMW have proved fruitless.

I cannot get the Remote 3D View to work. Every time I try and activate it I get a message saying an error occurrred. On the next screen I see a green check next to “Connection to secure server” but a red X next to”Activating camera system” and a red message saying “No data connection available”. However all of my other remote features seem to work. I have attached pictures showing the screeens.

I called the support number on the App and after 20+ minutes of being on hold and then explaining the issue was told I was being transferred to a BMW Genius person. However I was transferred to BMW Canada and after explaining the problem to the rep I was connected with I was told to submit an email request. I did that two days ago and have heard nothing. I asked the rep about the “BMW Genius” and was told that this simply refers to dealership employees with expertise in the connected app. I was told I would have to visit the dealer for help. Alas the last time I was at the dealer nobody seemed to know much about the BMW connected app.

I love my car (530e) but have been very disappointed with the customer support for the app.

Any suggestions as to what the issue may be would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

This might be a dumb question but you have surround cameras right?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
This might be a dumb question but you have surround cameras right?
He must because I forgot to add them 😭 and don't see any menus referring to 3D view in app or in car. Are you have 3D view issues in car with IDrive or bmw connect app?
      01-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
I am hoping someone can help because multiple calls to BMW have proved fruitless.

I cannot get the Remote 3D View to work. Every time I try and activate it I get a message saying an error occurrred. On the next screen I see a green check next to “Connection to secure server” but a red X next to”Activating camera system” and a red message saying “No data connection available”. However all of my other remote features seem to work. I have attached pictures showing the screeens.

I called the support number on the App and after 20+ minutes of being on hold and then explaining the issue was told I was being transferred to a BMW Genius person. However I was transferred to BMW Canada and after explaining the problem to the rep I was connected with I was told to submit an email request. I did that two days ago and have heard nothing. I asked the rep about the “BMW Genius” and was told that this simply refers to dealership employees with expertise in the connected app. I was told I would have to visit the dealer for help. Alas the last time I was at the dealer nobody seemed to know much about the BMW connected app.

I love my car (530e) but have been very disappointed with the customer support for the app.

Many thanks.
I'm having the same problem. I called the genius and they said the service was down.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusmontes View Post
Quote:

I cannot get the Remote 3D View to work. Every time I try and activate it I get a message saying an error occurrred. On the next screen I see a green check next to "Connection to secure server" but a red X next to"Activating camera system" and a red message saying "No data connection available". However all of my other remote features seem to work. I have attached pictures showing the screeens.

I called the support number on the App and after 20+ minutes of being on hold and then explaining the issue was told I was being transferred to a BMW Genius person. However I was transferred to BMW Canada and after explaining the problem to the rep I was connected with I was told to submit an email request. I did that two days ago and have heard nothing. I asked the rep about the "BMW Genius" and was told that this simply refers to dealership employees with expertise in the connected app. I was told I would have to visit the dealer for help. Alas the last time I was at the dealer nobody seemed to know much about the BMW connected app.

Many thanks.
I'm having the same problem. I called the genius and they said the service was down.
It must be. I've been able to use it many times but it's not working right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
MXNSITH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5C, 2019 i3 REX, 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjolokia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusmontes View Post
Quote:

I cannot get the Remote 3D View to work. Every time I try and activate it I get a message saying an error occurrred. On the next screen I see a green check next to "Connection to secure server" but a red X next to"Activating camera system" and a red message saying "No data connection available". However all of my other remote features seem to work. I have attached pictures showing the screeens.

I called the support number on the App and after 20+ minutes of being on hold and then explaining the issue was told I was being transferred to a BMW Genius person. However I was transferred to BMW Canada and after explaining the problem to the rep I was connected with I was told to submit an email request. I did that two days ago and have heard nothing. I asked the rep about the "BMW Genius" and was told that this simply refers to dealership employees with expertise in the connected app. I was told I would have to visit the dealer for help. Alas the last time I was at the dealer nobody seemed to know much about the BMW connected app.

Many thanks.
It must be. I've been able to use it many times but it's not working right now.
BTW, the genius phone number is (844) 443-6487. There are folks called the Genius at the dealership but the person on the phone was not aware of the genius hotline. It's the same number used when you track a build. The genius at my dealership was not much of a genius. I knew more about my car at delivery than the genius.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      01-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks

Thanks all. I will try again when the service is back up. It seems odd that neither of the BMW reps with whom I spoke knew anything about the service being down. As I mentioned, the second chap suggested I book the car in for a service appointment.

And yes I do have the cameras and they all work on the car. It is just the Remote 3D app that doesn’t work (and various other features on the app seem to work intermittently but I gather that is a common problem based on everything I read whilst trying to diagnose my issue).

Thanks again. Fingers crossed this feature is up and working soon.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #8
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Ps

Ps. And thanks for the Genius number Zeusmontes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
kpblade
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i e39, 335i e93, M550i G30

My 360 view has never worked since I first purchased it in February. The initial error message i that I needed a "Security Token"t o be installed. Monthly calls to the the national Genius hotline just resulted in same reponse, that it is an ssue with their server and they had no estimate for an update. They had me open a ticket with the Connected Drive staff, it has not been almost 2 months, and they have no estimate either. They recommneded I take it to the dealeras they would be more expeditious. WhenI brought it to my dealer early in the process, they had no idea how to apporach it. I recently took it in last week and they re-installed the softwear. Still no joy, the dealer'sgenius could not get it to work, but now the error message stated "no data connection" as above. All the other connected drive unctions appeared to work, but not the 360 view. The dealer is now going to refer me to a regional BMWUSA rep. Still awaiting a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
M550iG30GUY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i

I can confirm to have been having the same issue since January 2nd. I called BMW North America and a rep instantly made me aware of a known issue. No further information was provided. Now I know I'm not alone. All we can do is wait.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Seems BMW NA does not communicate to dealers these tech issues. This makes the geniuses look not so genius
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #12
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Good to know (I think!) it’s not just my car. The fact that BMW has been having this issue for almost a year and it is still not resolved doesn’t make them look like Geniuses either! As I said in my initial post, I love the cars but the app leaves much to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #13
nlkccom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i AW

Quote:
Good to know (I think!) it’s not just my car. The fact that BMW has been having this issue for almost a year and it is still not resolved doesn’t make them look like Geniuses either! As I said in my initial post, I love the cars but the app leaves much to be desired.
Just tried on mine and got the same error msg.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Looks like most of the errors are coming from North America as mine(UK) has been working pretty much all year around. Maybe a different server?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #15
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Looks like most of the errors are coming from North America as mine(UK) has been working pretty much all year around. Maybe a different server?
Still down. Crucial service like unlocking your car not working for weeks, whats wrong with them?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #16
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

Still not working here, either on my 2018 540 or our 2019 X5 (which means no remote start there, either!)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_sd View Post
Quote:
Still down. Crucial service like unlocking your car not working for weeks, whats wrong with them?
You guys have a proper raw deal. Can't believe BMW get away with that kinda service levels
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #18
chris_sd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

Quote:
You guys have a proper raw deal. Can't believe BMW get away with that kinda service levels
Yeah, i think we need to start making some proper noise with them and service centers.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #19
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

The problems continue

Just when I started to find a small degree of solace in the fact that I am not the only one experiencing problems with the app (misery loves company I guess), things have taken a turn for the worse.

Today I lost all use of the app. It worked fine this morning. Got to the office, checked my mileage/electric distance driven, etc. and all was well. Actually heard back from the Connected App support team in Canada (there is no support other than by email in Canada as I have discovered) telling me the issue is under investigation. At least that’s a start.

Around 3 pm checked the app and my car had “disappeared”. In its place was a picture of a vehicle under a cover and a request that I add a vehicle in order to use the app. Sent an email to the Connected App support team asking if their diagnostics had anything to do with my car being removed. I was told that they had nothing to do with it. Then called the dealer - they were unable to help.

Decided I would have to add the vehicle again. Entered the VIN info and was then told to enter the validation code sent to my car. Not wanting to trek to the garage mid-afternoon, I decided to wait until I headed home. Got in the car around 6:30 pm - no BMW Message and no code. Hit the resend button and drove home. 30 mins later I pulled into my driveway and still no BMW Message and no code. Very annoying. Things went downhill from there.

Used the BMW Assist feature and called BMW. After taking down information (name, VIN, etc.) the first rep said he was unable to assist with technical issues but would transfer me to a different support team. After being transferred and responding to various prompts I reached a second BMW rep. The same drill ensued - name, car, VIN, etc and then an explanation of the problem. After listening to the issue, the second rep also advised that he could not assist with the app but said he would transfer me to the “BMW Genius” team I have heard so much about. Finally getting somewhere I thought to myself. Alas, after being transferred to the BMW Genius dept. and explaining the issue yet again I was advised that the Genius support is only available for US customers and that they have no access to Canadian vehicles. I questioned why my car, which was purchased in Canada through a Canadian dealer had support numbers programmed in that are useless to me. The Genius rep was sympathetic but said there was nothing he could do (he noted that I was not the first disappointed Canadian customer he had spoken with). Th1e Genius rep then offered to transfer me to a Canadian support number.

I was then transferred to fourth rep who asked for a lot of information (everything about the car plus phone numbers, email address, date of birth, etc.). After verifying my identity he asked what the problem was. I started to explain but he interjected and advised, yes you guessed it, that he would need to transfer me to a tech support person! So I was transferred to a fifth BMW rep and explained the problem for the fifth time. This fifth rep basically said the app isn’t working, there is no timeline for fixing it, the fact that my app worked in the morning and not in the afternoon was not surprising, and that I may not be receiving BMW messages with the validation code to add my vehicle because connectivity is one of the problems they are experiencing. This same rep also indicated that the issue had been “escalated” as of Friday, January 4 because the volume of calls had grown significantly. He did, however, tell me that they have been getting calls for weeks from customers experiencing problems with the app. It would appear that nothing was “escalated” until the volume of calls reached some critical mass. This is disappointing.

In any event after wasting almost 40 minutes speaking with 5 different BMW reps this evening I have no Connected App functions whatsoever, no explanation as to when (or how) the issues will be fixed and higher blood pressure than when I started.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I think Chris Sd is right - people have to start screaming bloody murder to get somebody to pay attention. As I said to the 3rd rep I spoke with this evening, this is my 8th Bimmer and first with the Connected App. Once you get used to using a feature, it’s a royal pain in the you know what when it doesn’t work. It is also inexcusable that the support for this app is so poor. It does not reflect well on BMW at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:35 AM   #20
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

Same problem here. I am unable to refresh the 3D view. I am getting "No data connection available” error when its trying to active cameras. It worked like a charm until few days ago. Location of the car doesn't matter. It stopped working in locations where it has always worked. Definitely not a cellular reception problem.
      01-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #21
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Well I'm picking up my car on Friday hopefully it will work...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:07 AM   #22
drjolokia
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My remote 3D View is working tonight.
Appreciate 1
MXNSITH198.50