BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs BMW Leather Maintenance

01-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Would love to get options on leather care. My IND Tartufo Merino leather is the most expensive single option I ordered on my new 540i and I want to take care of it.
I was going with Gyeon Leather Cleaner followed by Gyeon Leather Coat. Someone commented that this leaves leather glossy despite Gyeon description. I want to keep the color and matte finish. Comments and thoughts.
      01-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Would love to hear others comments/recommendations as well, though I have the nappa leather only.

Bought some Lexol cleaner and conditioner but after trying them on my wife's car I'm not sure I want to use them on my new BMW.

I've heard that just wiping with a damp cloth every so often will be enough to keep it mostly clean. But I want to do what I can early to keep it from drying out, cracking, etc. down the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Merino, Nappa or Dakota leather doesn't matter as the leather seats are the most noticeable part of the interior on these expensive cars. Taking care of it is important. I wouldn't use Lexol or armoral on these seats. I have read on M5 site that distilled water on a microfiber cloth is all that is needed. But I want other opinions.
      01-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Yep, I think I read that same opinion from the M5 site.

All around, I've gotten the impression that frequent and consistent low-impact maintenance is far better in the long run than occasional "deep clean" deals....but I want to know what that consistent maintenance should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

I use this
https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/che...CABEgJHR_D_BwE

probably the easiest leather product I have used
      01-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I have been using leatherique on car leather and fine leather furniture for a few years. Originally heard about it on e46fanatics when i had my 330ci. Fantastic product, i've been very happy with the results. Deep cleans and conditions. I will be using this on the nappa in my M550i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:13 PM   #7
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I used Maguires leather products and saddle soap/mink oil on the leather in my Benz. But on these seats I want to protect them AND maintain the matte finish so looking for alternatives. Right now I ordered Gyeon Leather Cleaner and Gyeon Leather Coat to try.
      02-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I use leather cleaner and leather conditioner from Chemicalguys.com. Used it on my M4 also. Very satisfied with the results. I also always use a windshield screen when I park my car outside at the golf course, etc. I know it doesn't change the interior temp much, but it does protect the dash from direct sunlight. Had to change the dash in my 1977 280Z in the distant past, never want to do that again!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
basementman
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540iXdrive

I have been using the stock BMW leather cleaner and conditioner on my F10 and now G30, both with ivory white Napa leather. Couldn't be happier. Seats retain stock appearance and clean up really well, especially blue jean dye. You do have to rub a bit in the same spots a few times, but it does work. As others have said, you can't let it go too long between cleanings. 4-5 weeks makes it easy to clean, 5 - 10 mins or so. I use white cotton washcloths so that I can see the cleaner pick up the blue jean dye. The white cloths look light blue when I'm done, and the seats look new. I haven't tried other products, but I can't imagine any others being easier to use or getting better results than the seats looking new for years. When I traded in my F10 the dealer was stunned how nice the seats looked. PS I also use a barely damp microfiber cloth to wipe down the dash, console, doors and seats every time I wash the car. That helps to keep the interior looking new overall.
Appreciate 5
      03-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I tried the Gyeon Leather Cleaner and Gyeon Leather Coat on the inside of the rear arm rest as a test spot and here is my option. The Gyeon Leather Cleaner delivered as promised (kinda). My seats are Tartufo and new so difficult to say how well it cleaned but it came off leaving a matte finish. The leather coat on the other hand was terrible. I felt it darkened the color slightly but also left a slight shine. The bottle says matte finish but that's not my experience. I plan on finishing the cleaner (it's paid for) but will not use anymore of the leather coat. I was at dealership this weekend and decided to try the BMW leather protector. I haven't read ANY bad reviews and all positives.
      03-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by basementman View Post
I have been using the stock BMW leather cleaner and conditioner on my F10 and now G30, both with ivory white Napa leather. Couldn't be happier. Seats retain stock appearance and clean up really well, especially blue jean dye. You do have to rub a bit in the same spots a few times, but it does work. As others have said, you can't let it go too long between cleanings. 4-5 weeks makes it easy to clean, 5 - 10 mins or so. I use white cotton washcloths so that I can see the cleaner pick up the blue jean dye. The white cloths look light blue when I'm done, and the seats look new. I haven't tried other products, but I can't imagine any others being easier to use or getting better results than the seats looking new for years. When I traded in my F10 the dealer was stunned how nice the seats looked. PS I also use a barely damp microfiber cloth to wipe down the dash, console, doors and seats every time I wash the car. That helps to keep the interior looking new overall.

you mean like these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine...-/181705934732
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally got around to doing the leather seats. I used Gyeon Leather Cleaner first followed by the BMW leather care cream. Very pleased with the results.
      04-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
dlf750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i M Package

Garage List
I use Zaino #9 and #10 - cleaner and conditioner, fantastic and no glossy finish. And it smells good, kind of like leather. I've used it on my sold Audi A8, wife's BMW 335iC and our Land Rover - you use a small brush, kinda like a shoe shine brush, with the cleaner, scrub it in, and wife off with a white (trust me) microfiber cloth - you will SEE the nastiness that comes up!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
mnk2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Leather care

I use distilled water and microfiber cloth to clean the leather..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #15
SpencerP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport Xdrive.

I have always used Dr Leather products, the wipes or leather cleaner to clean, followed by their Dye Block to protect the seats. Leaves them looking like new with the original matt finish!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:02 PM   #16
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
My 5 series is being delivered today with Mocha Nappa so I'm glad I saw this thread.

I was looking on Amazon the other day for detailing stuff and came across this leather cleaner and conditioner from Chemical Guys. I spent about an hour researching it and comparing it to other products with good reviews and this was the one I decided on myself.

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but besides leather care, having a good tint on your car is paramount as well as parking in a garage helps to avoid any extreme temperatures as well as direct sun rays from beaming into your car. Those two things are very important to keeping leather healthy. Think about your sofa or sectional in your home. It's always a consistent temperature in your home and the sectional doesn't have sun rays beaming on it, and if it's like ours, it still looks great 10+ years later without ever using any leather cleaner or conditioner on it. And I could argue it's been used much much more. I know our cars are cars and will experience harsh conditions, but I'm just saying to limit the exposure when you can (i.e. park your car in your garage when you can or do yourself a favor and have tint installed, even a sun blocker on your windshield would look hideous, but at least you won't have the suns rays penetrating your Nappa niceness.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TJ3HUG...B96OLZOD&psc=0

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 2
hlothery481.50
clee1982796.00
      04-26-2019, 11:08 PM   #17
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Like I said I'm going with the BMW leather car system for now.
I have Merino leather so I got the LLumar Stratos series Tint with 99.5% UV protection. It's a double layer film w/ one of highest UV block. I also keep all the back windows shade up. Like the look. Windshield tint isn't legal in VA. LLumar make a clear film with UV protection for leather dash but I didn't get. So I recently got polarized sunglasses. Besides causing the HUD to disappear, I notice rainbow colors when looking through tinted windows. So glad I didn't have windshield done.

Retired so car spends most of the day at home in the garage.
      05-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
niju321
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
Like I said I'm going with the BMW leather car system for now.
I have Merino leather so I got the LLumar Stratos series Tint with 99.5% UV protection. It's a double layer film w/ one of highest UV block. I also keep all the back windows shade up. Like the look. Windshield tint isn't legal in VA. LLumar make a clear film with UV protection for leather dash but I didn't get. So I recently got polarized sunglasses. Besides causing the HUD to disappear, I notice rainbow colors when looking through tinted windows. So glad I didn't have windshield done.

Retired so car spends most of the day at home in the garage.
Glad to hear the BMW products are working well for you. Do these products have any odor? The last time I had a car with leather, I applied a leather cleaner, and years later the car still has the weird chemical smell...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #19
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I was planning on using the Gyeon leather cleaner and coating. In fact I have it in my garage along with some other goodies in preparation for my cars arrival. Glad I read this. I used it on my dove gray leather seats previously in my Infiniti and did not experience any darkening or shine although I did get awesome protection. My seats are Dakota black with blue stitching. Perhaps I’ll try it on a seat back.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 2
MoeMo87183.50
niju32183.50
      05-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #20
aadum
Second Lieutenant
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 330xd e92 ,520d f10, 540i G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I was planning on using the Gyeon leather cleaner and coating. In fact I have it in my garage along with some other goodies in preparation for my cars arrival. Glad I read this. I used it on my dove gray leather seats previously in my Infiniti and did not experience any darkening or shine although I did get awesome protection. My seats are Dakota black with blue stitching. Perhaps I’ll try it on a seat back.

Good luck and keep us posted.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #21
cbarden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I use Lexol products. Their conditioner doesn't leave any greasy residue.
Appreciate 1
niju32183.50
      07-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-CQuart.../dp/B00REX3LFM

I use car pro CQuartz, love it . Be patient and take your time, clean seats well prior to application. Lots of good video instructions or reviews on YouTube.
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
niju32183.50