BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis PS$S vs DWS 06+

11-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

PS$S vs DWS 06+

Hi folks... I know this might be an odd comparison, and I apologize for the long wind-up. I had another thread comparing some of the A/S options for my 2018 M550 with staggered 19" wheels. Right now, my worn Primacy 3 tires are off the car for the winter, in favor of 18" Pilot Alpin 4 tires.

Previously I was leaning to using the Alpins in the winter and DWS tires the rest of the year - basically to get the winter tires off the car as early as possible and put them on as late as possible. I didn't want to get caught in surprise snow with a summer tire but I usually try to leave the winters on for as short a time as I can (I am in W. NY so that is still months).

I'm really liking these Alpin tires. No snow yet, temps in the 30's, think I could live with keeping them on thru shoulder season - so a summer tire is now an option again.

Any thoughts on going with DWS anyway, vs switching to the PS4S when my Primacy 3's wear out? I have read many rave reviews about both tires - - - how much more does this summer tire get me over this all-season? I really appreciate any thoughts. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
kosmokratur
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550, '00 750, '97 540,..

Should have been PS4S... keyboard is failing
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

There is actually a thread on this subject and most seem to agree:

PS4S are better for dry weather. They are softer and offer more grip, but don't last as long as DWS06+

DWS06+ have better grip in the rain and last a bit longer, but you can't push the car as hard as you could with the PS4S in dry weather.

It really depends on your budget, driving style, and season.

I live in Socal and it rarely rains, but I still prefer the DWS06+. Mostly because they are on my daily driver and I take this car on long trips. If it was a weekend warrior I would run PS4S all day long.
Appreciate 0