BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications aFe Oiled Air Filter (Pre-LCI 540i) is better (probably.)

11-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

aFe Oiled Air Filter (Pre-LCI 540i) is better (probably.)

I know air filters aren't supposed to improve horsepower noticeably but I think it definitely does help throttle response.

I changed my oil/filter/air filter and guibo over the weekend. I meant to buy the non-oiled drop in air filter from aFe but apparently accidentally ordered the oiled version. I didn't think much of it, and didn't expect to notice any difference. ....to the point that it didn't even occur to me think about it when I drove it after the upgrade. However, I immediately noticed that low speed tip-in and off-idle throttle response is noticeably better. If I had to wager a number, 5% - 10% better feel under normal street driving.

So, maybe overall HP/torque isn't improved but I can attest the driving feel is better.

BTW, the old air filter looked barely used. So, I don't think it was due to it being dirty.
Appreciate 1