BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Things that annoy you at the gym

01-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #2575
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
When your physical composure is the same leaving the gym as you came in then what have you accomplished.
There are a lot of people who, amazingly, do not break a sweat when biking/treadmilling/lifting. I was also amazed that they are able to read tiny print font newspapers while doing their exercises!

/sarcasm

I don't understand the point of it if you don't actually get your heart rate above resting...
      01-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #2576
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Everything annoys me about the gym, which is why I work out at home. I have literally never understood going to a gym, unless you need access to something that you can't get at home, like a pool. Take whatever you spend in a year on your membership and put it towards a good treadmill and some equipment and save yourself the hassle, and money in the long run.
I've started doing this. Have a bench, elliptical, pull up bar, and dumbbells at home. Also have a cable machine and just hung a punching bag yesterday in my basement. Most of this stuff I got for free. I'll have to adjust my workout a bit, and have a friend who might train me, but I'm thinking it will probably be easier than the gym. Less distractions (those 20 year olds who are self absorbed anyway) and no excuse since it's in my house. Also no waiting for equipment or dealing with idiots. I got a good 30 min lifting workout in this morning with no standing around waiting for stuff or people bugging me.

My goal this year is to eat healthier. I'm not overweight (5'10 150lbs) but I do eat a lot of junk sometimes, and with my mom going through cancer last year I want to get on a better, leaner diet.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #2577
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Stop bitching, at least you get the yoga pants in your gym lmao.

I just don't like the extra heads, like I mentioned prior my gym is already on the smaller side. I don't necessarily want people looking at me(not that I'm embarrassed or anything to that extent), and I don't want to be looking at people that have no clue what they're doing. I'm all for those that pursue a goal, hell if your resolution is to get fit that is great. But do some damn research before coming in there and have a plan. When your physical composure is the same leaving the gym as you came in then what have you accomplished.
LOL.....The only chicks (1-2) in yoga pants in the gym at the time I go are hardcore. I try to stay out of their way as they usually have a deeper voice than me, and from the front look like they are "packing" more than they should.
PoorLurker1135.00
..Rush..973.50
      01-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #2578
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
LOL.....The only chicks (1-2) in yoga pants in the gym at the time I go are hardcore. I try to stay out of their way as they usually have a deeper voice than me, and from the front look like they are "packing" more than they should.
Plus they're probably bigger than you ! Check the Adam's apple tho
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      01-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #2579
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Plus they're probably bigger than you ! Check the Adam's apple tho
If I ever need a "spot"...I know who to ask.

On second thought....don't think I would want to be seeing that while lying on a bench.
      01-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #2580
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
If I ever need a "spot"...I know who to ask.

On second thought....don't think I would want to be seeing that while lying on a bench.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      02-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #2581
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #2582
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Too much attitude at my gym LA Fitness.
Too many dudes with attitude.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #2583
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush1 View Post
Too much attitude at my gym LA Fitness.
Too many dudes with attitude.
Have you talked to them or just watched them?

I've found that most people at the gym no matter what they look/act like from observation are very friendly when spoken to.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2020, 06:17 AM   #2584
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Had to vent... inconsiderate 50 year old wannabe karate kid at my gym. He shadow boxes under the cable crossover machine. Depending on his mood, he may get in his Mcdojo crane kick pose, kick one of the handles, hold his crane kick pose while he admires his decimation of the plastic handle as it gently swings back and forth, then lands back in his cobra kai stance ready to strike another unsuspecting cable extension ...while never considering others in our busy gym are probably waiting to use the cable machine to possibly do, I don’t know, maybe cable exercises. I’ve never once seen him kick/punch the equipment designed to kick/punch right down the hall. My hope is that he one day realizes it may be more logical/effective/courteous to hit the heavy bag our gym generously provided, only to find it is being bench pressed by another member.
Appreciate 4
      02-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #2585
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

At gym last night. The same toothpick thin old woman I've mentioned in the past is doing inclined leg presses. She throws on two 45 lb plates on each side of the sled. Proceeds to "work out" her 2x4 legs. The amount of movement of the sled is maybe a few inches at best. She then proceeds to add on another set of 45s on each side ultimately ending with 3 45lb plates and a 10 lb plate on each side. Each progression, her range of motion becomes less and less. Was waiting for the 2x4s to snap. I actually snuck a couple of pics of her attempting the 2x45s as the whole sight of this was so comical. Not sure if it's appropriate to post up here so you all can see what I'm talking about. I did take the pics obscuring her identity.

The other annoyance was having to sift through the 2.5 lb plates blocking the heavier weights I want at the squat rack. 2.5lb plates at the squat rack, really?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #2586
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
At gym last night. The same toothpick thin old woman I've mentioned in the past is doing inclined leg presses. She throws on two 45 lb plates on each side of the sled. Proceeds to "work out" her 2x4 legs. The amount of movement of the sled is maybe a few inches at best. She then proceeds to add on another set of 45s on each side ultimately ending with 3 45lb plates and a 10 lb plate on each side. Each progression, her range of motion becomes less and less. Was waiting for the 2x4s to snap. I actually snuck a couple of pics of her attempting the 2x45s as the whole sight of this was so comical. Not sure if it's appropriate to post up here so you all can see what I'm talking about. I did take the pics obscuring her identity.

The other annoyance was having to sift through the 2.5 lb plates blocking the heavier weights I want at the squat rack. 2.5lb plates at the squat rack, really?
When you are at 495lb and want to make it an even 500lb duh!! Na, but in seriousness that is a little annoying. In regards to the lady, is what it is. Just wasting space in there lol.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
Rmtt8206.00
      02-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #2587
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When you are at 495lb and want to make it an even 500lb duh!! Na, but in seriousness that is a little annoying. In regards to the lady, is what it is. Just wasting space in there lol.
The other funny thing was she was "super setting". After her monster set on the inclined leg press, she went over to the seated calf raise machine and proceeded to bang out that 1" range of motion. Rinse...repeat.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      02-11-2020, 05:33 AM   #2588
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

We have a new guy that claps his hands constantly , he marches around the gym clapping does a set then starts laughing and clapping again . It’s by far the most annoying thing
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:26 AM   #2589
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightF82 View Post
Had to vent... inconsiderate 50 year old wannabe karate kid at my gym. He shadow boxes under the cable crossover machine. Depending on his mood, he may get in his Mcdojo crane kick pose, kick one of the handles, hold his crane kick pose while he admires his decimation of the plastic handle as it gently swings back and forth, then lands back in his cobra kai stance ready to strike another unsuspecting cable extension ...while never considering others in our busy gym are probably waiting to use the cable machine to possibly do, I don’t know, maybe cable exercises. I’ve never once seen him kick/punch the equipment designed to kick/punch right down the hall. My hope is that he one day realizes it may be more logical/effective/courteous to hit the heavy bag our gym generously provided, only to find it is being bench pressed by another member.

Classic! You should write short stories, or op Ed’s for fitness mags!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #2590
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht550jersey View Post
We have a new guy that claps his hands constantly , he marches around the gym clapping does a set then starts laughing and clapping again . It’s by far the most annoying thing
Extreme self motivator or a narcissist?

That would definitely annoy the crap out of me. Maybe next time join in with a standing ovation?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:08 AM   #2591
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Last night, twice I had someone come over and take weights off of my bench that I was going to use for my next set with them knowing full well I was on that bench. The first one with some chick that grabbed a 25lb plate off my bench just as I was getting up from finishing a set. I wanted to throw the other 25lb plate I had on the bench at the back of her head. Especially since there was an empty bench right behind mine that had a 25lb plate there.

Second time last night, I didn't catch who ever it was that took the 10s I was going to use at the incline bench as I had just returned from getting a drink at the water fountain. What the hell is wrong with people?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #2592
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht550jersey View Post
You must work out at Kevin Hart's gym...
Appreciate 2
BSM n54iS2684.50
zx10guy5139.00
      02-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #2593
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightF82 View Post
You must work out at Kevin Hart's gym...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #2594
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHudson View Post
Classic! You should write short stories, or op Ed’s for fitness mags!
Haha, thanks man. I can’t take all the credit - Mr. Miyagi somehow brought out my literary skills I guess.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_292.00
      02-20-2020, 03:32 PM   #2595
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Past few days of being in the gym have been unbearable. There's this specific individual that literally stinks up the place. When he has ripened as well as aged cheese, it's literally torture being any where near him. So bad that I swear, I can almost taste his funk.

Last night he was in rare form. There was this lingering stentch of BO all over the gym. I looked around and didn't see him at first. I later saw him and realized the funk was from him. I tried to distance myself from him as much as possible but everytime I go to one part of the gym, PePe Le Pew would drift over. I want to bring air freshener to spray the dude down or throw a bar of soap/deodorant at him.

How bad does it have to get before the management of the gym would even say something to somebody such as this stinker?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #2596
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Past few days of being in the gym have been unbearable. There's this specific individual that literally stinks up the place. When he has ripened as well as aged cheese, it's literally torture being any where near him. So bad that I swear, I can almost taste his funk.

Last night he was in rare form. There was this lingering stentch of BO all over the gym. I looked around and didn't see him at first. I later saw him and realized the funk was from him. I tried to distance myself from him as much as possible but everytime I go to one part of the gym, PePe Le Pew would drift over. I want to bring air freshener to spray the dude down or throw a bar of soap/deodorant at him.

How bad does it have to get before the management of the gym would even say something to somebody such as this stinker?
This is one of the many reasons I could never work out at a public gym. This and 100 other forms of rudeness. I was made to take swimming lessons at the Y as a kid against my will. That place was a shithole. Now that I'm all grown up, I wouldn't go to a gym for any price. I'm on the bike 8-10 hours a week year-round, and I do a dumbbell and kettle bell workout at home 3 or 4 times a week. I do all kinds of physical chores at my cabin; I fell and split and stack 10 cords of firewood a year. I need a gym about like Stevie Wonder needs a telescope.
xander_g965.50